Is my goal realistic?

Options
Hi there

I am 5'9 and just under 14 stone I really want to lose 2-3 stone by the end of July so just 4 months 11 stone would be my ideal weight for my height, I don't know if this is setting myself up for downfall, my diet isn't awful so I am keepin up having 4 smaller meals a day mainly veg based don't eat much meat, it is more the gym side of things I need a little help with. Today I did 20 mins on excercise bike, 10 mins on the treadmill and some weight machines for 20 reps. Does anyone have any advice? I am a female by the way! Thank u, any help welcomed!!!!

Replies

• HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Using a heart rate monitor during aerobic exercise is a some what accurate method of calculating calories burnt. Weight training is a little more difficult to gauge calories burnt so I wouldn't even count it. Really just make sure you're hitting your caloric goals.
  • HerpDerp745
    HerpDerp745 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    To actually answer what you asked, yes it's possible to drop the weight in 4 months, but I wouldn't set an artificial period and use this opportunity as a lifestyle change.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    That's 28 to 42 pounds in about 16 weeks, right? That comes out to 1.75 to about 2.5 pounds per week, which is pretty aggressive. It may seem like a lot, but even 42 pounds isn't a huge amount to lose. Here are some guidelines for reasonable weight loss:

If you have less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 15 -25 lbs to lose 0.5 to 1.0 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 40-75 lbs to lose 1.5 lbs/week is ideal
    If you have 75+ lbs to lose 2 lbs/week is ideal

Why do you need to set a deadline? You'd be better off setting MFP to lose a pound a week and just continuing that until you hit your goal. Even if you don't lose the full amount, you can make some good progress by the end of July!
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I don't know whether it's realistic, but I have read that studies confirm that those with more aggressive target weight loss goals are more likely to lose it. Logic tells me that the time limitation probably works for some people and not for others, depending on whether you are motivated by deadlines in general. I'm not, so I haven't set one. I would just feel like a total failure if I didn't meet my goal by The Date.