Creating positive body image??

Options
I've always had a bad body image, although I haven't been overweight since about 9th grade (20 years old now). I've been in the normal weight range but recently lost 15 lbs from 125-110 and feel much better about how I look. My biggest issue right now is my stomach...it's not huge, but I almost always feel bloaty. I'm pretty sure that's just my negative body image because I drink a ton of water and eat relatively well. Objectively, I'm very normal sized. But most days I still feel pretty bad about my stomach.

Right now, exercise and toning are not my priorities. If the weather is nice, I try to get a run in 2-3 times a week. I've realized that I'm horrible at motivation on my own and that I refuse to go outside to run if it's too cold. Such is life. After I've graduated and have money for some personal training sessions, I absolutely will jump on that. But right now it's not a priority because school is pretty stressful. And I've accepted that.

Given all of this, what can I do to just accept and be happy with how I look for now until I feel I am able to make it a priority to improve my body?

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    Stuart Smalley can help with this
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    The main shift in perspective that helps me is to focus more on what my body can do, and less on my body as something to look at. This is not always easy, especially for young women. Are there activities you like that make you feel strong and joyful in your body? For me, dance classes, riding my bike, and body-weight exercises all give me a sense of well-being, and help me appreciate being IN my body. You can find free yoga classes online or check out activity meet-ups in your area for classes.

I've recently heard about some studies that show spending a lot of time looking at social media and fashion magazines can drastically affect young women's satisfaction with their bodies. Of course, you can't stay away from those all together, but try to avoid spending a lot of time poring over advertising images.

There is nothing wrong with wanting to be fit and attractive, but obsessing about what our bodies look like can become a really bad habit. It's great that you are noticing this in yourself and looking to change it. Keep up your healthy habits. Care for your body with enough sleep, food, water, and activity, and care for yourself by doing things that make you feel good about yourself as a person. Study, volunteer, surround yourself with positive people...

And ask for help when you need it! Good luck!
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    This might sound bad, but it isn't really about liking where you are now, it's coming to peace with the fact that you are doing all you can to make the changes you want. If you're struggling with it, it might be because you don't think you're working as hard as you could be.

I don't want to be happy with my body right now, because I am overweight and unhealthy. I have no reason to be satisfied with it. I am, however, currently more comfortable with my body than I was before I started losing weight, and it is entirely due to the fact that I know I'm changing every day.

I even started taking "before" pictures (no one has been able to snap a picture of me in over a YEAR following my weight gain.)
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    For me, body image and my perception of my worth as a person are tightly linked. When I began to believe I had worth, I wanted to actually do something about my body. We are all worthy, so we can do this!
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I found looking at other people in the same height/weight range as me really helped. Like I look at my legs and they look SO FAT and I only have negative things to say. But I see someone who wears the same size as me, and is the same weight as me and they look awesome! So that has been helping. Its like, well, if I were as fat as I thought I was, I couldn't wear the same size as this fit person here. I found this website to be particularly useful.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/
  • aqualeo1
    aqualeo1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I found looking at other people in the same height/weight range as me really helped. Like I look at my legs and they look SO FAT and I only have negative things to say. But I see someone who wears the same size as me, and is the same weight as me and they look awesome! So that has been helping. Its like, well, if I were as fat as I thought I was, I couldn't wear the same size as this fit person here. I found this website to be particularly useful.

http://www.mybodygallery.com/

There it is again - yes! I keep forgetting the name of this site & have to wait for it to pop up again! Thank you:)
    This site is awesome. I have the same issues and it helps to see people of your exact size that aren't you.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm quite hard on myself and ask Blokey "is that what I'm like?" and he inevitably says "NO!" lol. Funny how some of us just have nooooo idea how we look and funny too how it doesn't change even when wt is gone/lost.
  • animalldy
    animalldy Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've found that I see one thing in the mirror and another thing in pictures. My mind just distorts the image in the mirror but when I see a photo I see myself how other see me. It doesn't make it any easier, but it gives insight into how I perceive myself and how I need to work on overcoming that.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Watch some you tube videos of belly dancers. You may even want to try it yourself. They have strong abs and awesome muscle issolation. Even the dancers with big bellies look really sensual and beautiful.
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Stuart Smalley can help with this

I'm good enough
    I'm smart enough
    And dog gone it, people like me!!!

He was a gem!!!