Fitbit (And Similar products)

Options
AZ_Danny
AZ_Danny Posts: 50 Member
So I almost bought a Jawbone UP because I'm worried that my sleep patterns may be part of the reason to blame for my lack of motivation to be active (always tired even though I "sleep" 7-8 hours every night. I figured that's what set it apart from just buying a pedometer.

So I look on amazon to look at reviews and they are HORRIBLE (like an overwhelming majority of 1-star reviews; all saying it stopped working in a matter of days/weeks) so I looked for an alternative.

I see Fitbit, which costs less and looks like it does a little less, but it still tracks what you eat, your activity, and your sleep; so I figured it may be a valid alternative. The reviews are better. A lot of 5 and 4 star reviews... but still a disturbing number of 1-star reviews.

Is anybody using Fitbit, Jawbone UP, or a similar product? Did you in the past and you are not now? Please share with me if it's worth the investment and potential head ache. :) Thanks.

Replies

• Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love my fitbit. I have never had a Jawbone so can't comment on that. All I know is that the Fitbit has been extremely motivational and reliable. I also lost my Fitbit shortly after purchasing it, and Fitbit sent me a new one free of charge. They have awesome customer service. Good luck! :smile:
  • dvogel20
    dvogel20 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use the fitbit zip - the one that does not track sleep - and I love it. It really keeps me motivated, and I linked it up with myfitnesspal so I can eat a little more if I exercise. I've lost 15 lbs since I combined fitbit with myfitnesspal near the end of January. I see no value in tracking my sleep, but I know people who have the wrist band and they all seem to like it.
  • rosevalleygirl23
    rosevalleygirl23 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I use a fitbit one. I would have to say that the company seems to stand by their product and easy to deal with when you have a problem. The clip for mine broke and they replaced it immediately.

I don't use it for sleep tracking regularly, but I guess it could give you a rough idea if that's an issue.

Do you have health insurance? Can you get a sleep study done?
  • vdcalvert
    vdcalvert Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I use a Fitbit One (for about two months) and my wife uses the Force (for about a month). I prefer the One since I just put it in my pocket during the day and wear on my wrist at night. My wife gets irritated a little with the force since you need to be moving your arms for it to capture "steps". She makes me push the cart in stores and hold the dog's leash when walking, now. ;) I like them and haven't had any problems, but we haven't had them long. There have been issues with it syncing with MFP, but that's just a minor annoyance. I like that it gives me goals to shoot for and does the tracking for me. I think the sleep data is decent, but if you're that concerned, go to the doc and get a sleep study. I found out last year that I have severe central sleep apnea. No obstruction - the brain just forgets to breathe. Have a CPAP now and sleep better than I have for a long time. My opinion is to get the One and also get a sleep study. Good luck.

Also, if you get the One, the velcro on the wrist band is not the strongest and I had issues with it coming off at night. My solution is to wear a rubber bracelet (like the Livestrong things) over the strap they give you. No issues since.
  • H0neybug
    H0neybug Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I purchased a fitbit flex the first of the year. It was a glorified pedometer that cost $100. It wasn't very good at syncing. It did not calculate my calorie burn based on my activity...it couldn't even tell if I was walking up stairs or level ground.

What I was looking for was something that would give me accurate calorie burn rates based on my heart rate during an activity. It's easy to log the standard 60 minutes of "zumba", but my zumba is not as dancey and more kickboxing, but I guess I'll never know.

It seems that the technology should be there. I have a Sportline watch that takes my heart rate, it just doesn't calculate it into calories burned.
  • AZ_Danny
    Options
    Was just recently able to purchase health insurance thanks to the ACA (not to be too political, but I definitely have benefited from it) and am just starting to tackle issues with energy/weight loss. In fact, in a bit I'm going to the clinic to enroll in their weight loss program.
  • MusicDreamsThoughts
    Options
    In my opinion..
    FitBit is one of the BEST companion's to assist you on your new lifestyle change.

It's well worth it :)
  • AZ_Danny
    Options
    I use a fitbit one. I would have to say that the company seems to stand by their product and easy to deal with when you have a problem. The clip for mine broke and they replaced it immediately.

I don't use it for sleep tracking regularly, but I guess it could give you a rough idea if that's an issue.

Do you have health insurance? Can you get a sleep study done?

Thought I hit the "quote" button.... anyway, last reply was directed towards you lol
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I have the Firbit Zip and LOVE it! I'm determined to get in at least 10,000 steps a day, most days more. Syncs with mfp and it's just satisfying to see those cals burned! :)
  • suttercm
    suttercm Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I've had the Fitbit Force since December and love it! I especially like the sleep tracking as I have a hard time sleeping through the night. I'll be able to take the sleep records with me to the doc to see what alternative we can look into.
  • Aello11
    Aello11 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    ok - tech geek here --- I have used the up, fitbit flex and a Basis watch all work relatively well. The biggest difference I noticed is the Basis only starts counting steps if you actually are walking (trips to the kitchen doesn't add steps) - which I kind of like tells me how much I am actually doing continously. Sleep patterns all three of these "track" but the fitbit and up are monitoring arm movement, while the Basis says it is also looking at skin temp and HR to detemine when you are asleep. All are a bit pricey, but I really like the Basis.
  • EreborsPrincess
    Options
    I use the fitbit zip - the one that does not track sleep - and I love it. It really keeps me motivated, and I linked it up with myfitnesspal so I can eat a little more if I exercise. I've lost 15 lbs since I combined fitbit with myfitnesspal near the end of January. I see no value in tracking my sleep, but I know people who have the wrist band and they all seem to like it.

I'm getting the Zip this afternoon - glad to hear you like it and that it's a good motivator. :smile:
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I have the Fitbit flex wristband, primarily for tracking sleep, because my quality of sleep has gone for *kitten* since perimenopause.

I will say I've never been able to get it to start and stop a sleep record by tapping on it, which you're supposed to be able to do. I just note the time I went to bed and input that into the log manually the next morning, along with the time I got up.

I'd say it's pretty accurate. It shows me waking up during the night more frequently when the SO is home than when I'm alone, which is exactly what happens.

In an odd kind of way, it's also kinda interesting to see exactly what time I get up to pee in the night, because there will be a log of the steps. Lol.
  • tbucks
    tbucks Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have used the jawbone up and currently use the fitbit one.

I like the fitbit one because you don't have to wear a bracelet all day.

It fits nice in the coin pocket of my jeans, and then I clip it to the pocket of my workout shorts. It tracks sleep too, it comes with a wristband to put it in for sleep, but I just put it in the pocket of my basketball shorts I sleep in.
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I use a FitBit Flex. Both my wife and I like them. I prefer to use MFP to track my eating over FitBit. My primary use for a FitBit is I establish a minimum activity level and the FitBit helps me maintain that. FitBit does track sleep patterns fairly well, too.

My wife had to send her FitBit back for a replacement as the battery would no longer charge. No issue with the exchange at all. I've had mine for about 6 months with no troubles at all. It was easy to set up on the site and on my iPhone 4s. Ignore the remarks about the strap being hard to fasten; that clears up once you get used to it in a matter of a few uses. I have had times when I've managed to snag the strap on a cuff or sleeve and it has come undone, but it is noticeable and I refasten it immediately.

I recommend it at this time as it does what it says it does and for a decent price.

That being said, if you have an iPhone 5, you might want to check out the Pebble Smartwatch. There is an app for it that will do almost everything (if not everything) the FitBit will do. This app (the name eludes me at the present) may also be available for Android. Not sure if you get the web support with the app or not; as I have a 4s and the app is specifically designed to take advantage of the new features in the 5, I've not done too much looking into it.
  • Asheea
    Asheea Posts: 211 Member
    Options

Ditto!! Love my Zip and I "never leave home without it." I get up 3-4 x's a night to pee so the sleep tracker doesn't appeal to me at all. I already know how many times I wake up I don't need a gadget to tell me that.

If it floats your boat then go for it! Fitbit is one of the best! You won't be sorry with them. :)
  • seattlerain
    seattlerain Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I purchased a fitbit flex the first of the year. It was a glorified pedometer that cost $100. It wasn't very good at syncing. It did not calculate my calorie burn based on my activity...it couldn't even tell if I was walking up stairs or level ground.

What I was looking for was something that would give me accurate calorie burn rates based on my heart rate during an activity. It's easy to log the standard 60 minutes of "zumba", but my zumba is not as dancey and more kickboxing, but I guess I'll never know.

It seems that the technology should be there. I have a Sportline watch that takes my heart rate, it just doesn't calculate it into calories burned.

Agreed.

I returned my fitbit the week I purchased it off of Amazon. Not what I was looking for. I use a Polar HRM, and my BF uses a Bodymedia which is pretty awesome with tracking sleep and daily activity.
  • audram420
    audram420 Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have not read through all replies, but have you guys seen the Garmin Vivofit activity tracker with HR monitor...I just bought it after comparing it to the polar loop and the fitbit!!
  • jadethief
    jadethief Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I use a Body Media Fit. It's great at tracking your sleep. I've discovered that I get more actual sleep when I go to bed early and get up early (say 9 pm to 5 am) than if I go to bed late and get up later (say, midnight to 8 am). There is a monthly subscription fee ($7) but for me it is well worth it.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I have a Polar Loop - I am happy with it but I also don't track my sleep with it so not sure how it rates that way?