Tomato Soup-- Taste Better?

Options
What can I do to make a can of condensed Tomato Soup Taste Better. I am considering replacing water with chicken soup. What do you all think & any other suggestion are welcome

Replies

• princessmedic
    Options
    I use milk instead of water...but that obviously will add some calories. You could also spice it up a bit with different seasonings, or even add fat free cheese or fat free sour cream. I have also used green chili to flavor it up...I don't know if you have access to that buts its pretty yummy!
  • Chrissun
    Options
    Instead of condensed make your own...it is simple. I now use a recipe from on here Tomato Basil Soup with roasted tomatoes. My family loves it!

If that isn't an option garlic, onions, basil, thyme and oregano would be great additions to the condensed.
  • Sonflower
    Options
    I also add the milk, you most likely need the milk anyway. You could add a tsp of grated cheese, I love that in mine. If you like green onions add one in it while it is cooking..

I do not add all of the water into my chicken soup, I just add half a can, it helps with the flavor..
  • angieskia
    angieskia Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Thanx I'll try some seasoning. Last time I tried I made it worse though. Wish me luck. :frown:
  • jessebreanne
    Options
    My Favorite and supreamly flavorful Tomato soup recipe is this:

1 - 750ml can of diced tomatoes
    1 TBSP - Victorian Epicure Marinara Sauce Seasoning (or your favorite Italian seasoning)

Simmer for 10 min and voila, a fantastic filling meal (or 2) for a rediculously low calorie count. Plus there is no extra thickeners and such like condenced tomatoe soup.
  • LeeMac
    Options
    Ugh, why ruin tomato soup with milk?

Saute a minced clove of garlic and/or some finely chopped onion and/or celery in a saucepan with a little olive oil. If you have any anchovies, throw one of those in and cook till it breaks up. Add your soup and season with black pepper, a 1/2 tsp of dried basil and 1/4 tsp of oregano or to taste. If it isn't too salty, a chicken bouillon cube will give it a bit of oomph.
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    I would bet that by adding chicken soup you are really adding to the overall sodium levels, which are already going to be high in any canned product. That said, I would forego adding chicken soup and would roast some garlic cloves, whole cherry tomatoes and onions in the oven and add those along with basil and 1-2 cubes of fresh mozzarella cheese. As others have said, making your own would be a better route anyway and it really is not that difficult.
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    I had some Tuscan Basil soup that was really good, I tried to find the closest recipe I could.

http://www.wellsphere.com/healthy-living-article/semi-homemade-tuscan-tomato-basil-soup/594975