Work problems - what a difference now.

Maggie1960
Maggie1960 Posts: 322
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Some of you may recall that a few weeks ago, I posted about a colleague who had brought in homemade chocolate cake to share and got mightily offended when I refused, very politely, to have a slice. It created an unpleasant atmosphere because she took it as a personal slight that I wouldn't eat something she had made "especially":grumble:

Yesterday, it was another colleague's birthday, and he bought in flapjacks, doughnuts,cookies, cake - AND for me, grapes and an Activia snackpot. So I was able to join in the birthday celebrations without hurting anyone's feelings - and I am really happy that people at work have realised how important it is for me to eat healthily. In fact as people are witnessing me slowly but surely getting smaller, they are asking me how I am doing it. I simply email the link to MFP. The sooner folk realise there's no magic involved, just healthy eating and exercise, the better it is.

One lady actually asked me to log a chocolate covered doughnut to see how many calories were in it - 326 and 7g of fat!!! MFP rocks:bigsmile:

Replies

• That's really sweet - nice to have colleagues looking out for you!
  • Some people are really funny where food is concerned. To me, it's an old-fashioned thing. My Nana (who was born in 1913) used to be obsessed with making me eat something every time I went to visit - and it was always cakes, biscuits, etc! My dad (her son) always insisted that I cleared my plate... I think it stemmed from the war-time rationing mentality.

Whether you're losing weight or not, if you don't want to eat something, then you don't want to eat it! That's how people end up being fat in the first place - by eating when they're not hungry!
  • Good result with work attitudes. We had a home baked cake sale in Aid of McMillan Cancer at work this week - the staff room was awash with fabulous and not so fabulous looking goodies. I am sure they thought I would be their best customer ... I should have made a point of giving them money and telling them to eat the cakes themselves :)) but I just averted my eyes. I will give them a donation on Monday to keep the peace.
  • WOW, I feel for you have to deal with the constant pressure and temptation, but GOOD FOR YOU for sticking to your healthy eating! (Not that a treat now and then would be bad if you chose to do that!)
  • Suedre
    Suedre Posts: 435 Member
    That's awesome and amazining considerate! Good for you and how nice of her. :)
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Some of you may recall that a few weeks ago, I posted about a colleague who had brought in homemade chocolate cake to share and got mightily offended when I refused, very politely, to have a slice. It created an unpleasant atmosphere because she took it as a personal slight that I wouldn't eat something she had made "especially":grumble:

Yesterday, it was another colleague's birthday, and he bought in flapjacks, doughnuts,cookies, cake - AND for me, grapes and an Activia snackpot. So I was able to join in the birthday celebrations without hurting anyone's feelings - and I am really happy that people at work have realised how important it is for me to eat healthily. In fact as people are witnessing me slowly but surely getting smaller, they are asking me how I am doing it. I simply email the link to MFP. The sooner folk realise there's no magic involved, just healthy eating and exercise, the better it is.

One lady actually asked me to log a chocolate covered doughnut to see how many calories were in it - 326 and 7g of fat!!! MFP rocks:bigsmile:

Yes, I remember your previous posting very well.

Excellent news on this colleague's birthday and what he brought in for you!!!

You would only need one or two others from your workplace to join here and before you know it, it won't be cakes they will be bringing in on birthdays, but fruit for everybody but the odd one person :wink:
  • (look how close to yor goal weight you are whew amazing)

and yeah that stuff at work - it's so hard -i know when i make something and nobody eats it i feel real down - but i at least do't say anything for cryin out loud - people have reasons beyond what you're cooking's like fo instance diet, alergies, just ate, ....... and well you have to keep some humiliy ya know - don't take it so damn personal - but i know what it's like to be on both sides of that one and it's a difficult situation - you are NOT at fault for anything - in fact you should be applauded for your self - controll - youre being good to yourself and that's the thing that matters - maybe next time "i sure would love some but i just can't" and let her figure it out Mysterious lady - oooohh love it - people are attracted by that stuff - i don't know -just my opinon
  • 2BaNewMe2
    2BaNewMe2 Posts: 102 Member
    That was good of your colleague to think enough of you to bring something for you to participate in the celebration.

I have the opposite colleagues at work. Just about all are "healthy" eaters. Before my "lifestyle change", I had trouble with "enjoying" the treats brought in. What a difference MFP makes!!!

Keep up the good work!!! Someday, maybe, hopefully, all of your colleagues will know to not take it personal when you refuse something they made "especially" for a celebration.
  • We have agreed as part of an office (4 of us out of about 20) to all try and lose weight before Christmas, we all have a health problem of one sort or another, mines my knees back and hip. I have has surgery twice already on my knee and its time I lost weight before I goes again. Together we can resist the normal temptations that people bring in. Its good to hear you now have extra support. Good luck with the rest.
This discussion has been closed.