new to site calorie count question

Options
deup
deup Posts: 129 Member
k so i been looking through the pages and i not seen anything that can give me a answer on this.
my cal count is 1580 daily atm with a 2lb per week loss. hoping it will drop on sat when i do a weigh in.
i have been for the last week trying to stay within 1200-1400 cal daily count plus minus 125-180 cal burn off for treadmill walking works out to roughly 1200-1400 cal minus 125/180 cal.

my question is, am i to low and am i harming my body more then good? with being lower then the numbers the program gives me?

Replies

• AnIrishLibra
    AnIrishLibra Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Definitely too low.

Read this to understand why: http://eatcleanmakechanges.tumblr.com/calories

Calculate your BMR and eat that many calories, and no less.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    If 1580 is already your 2lb/wk target, eating way below that is too low. Since your exercise is <200 calories per day, I probably wouldn't worry about eating that back -- that's your buffer against underestimating your calorie intake.

No knowing your weight or height, I can't figure your BMR or TDEE, but there are plenty of sites out there that will do that for you.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    k so i been looking through the pages and i not seen anything that can give me a answer on this.
    my cal count is 1580 daily atm with a 2lb per week loss. hoping it will drop on sat when i do a weigh in.
    i have been for the last week trying to stay within 1200-1400 cal daily count plus minus 125-180 cal burn off for treadmill walking works out to roughly 1200-1400 cal minus 125/180 cal.

my question is, am i to low and am i harming my body more then good? with being lower then the numbers the program gives me?

A couple of ways.............what's your BMR (basal metabolic rate) ..........calories your body would use if you were in a coma

http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/

If 1200 is lower than this.....then you are likely losing fat+muscle....as opposed to mostly fat

Another way is this............does 2 pounds a week fall in these ranges?

Pounds per week
    75+ lbs to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs to lose 0.5 lbs range

Again, losing weight too fast is risking muscle mass
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You should be hitting your calorie GOAL...it is a GOAL...it is something to be achieved and already includes your weight loss deficit. And yes, too large a deficit can be counterproductive not to mention large deficits often result in nutritional deficiencies and the like. there are plenty of posts here on MFP in RE to something like, "HALP...my hair is falling out"...or "HALP....I'm not getting my period anymore", etc.

You're not overdoing it with your exercise, so I wouldn't worry about that so much or eating back those calories (more important if you are burning more and putting yourself through vigorous exercise)...but you should be hitting your calorie goal.
  • deup
    deup Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    ty for all the replys sorry i guess i shoulda put more info in. :(

i am 32 male. 5'8" wight when i started 42 days ago 280 and today i am at 251. i am aiming for 175lb as my goal.

kk i will bring my cal count up higher then