Help me -- emotional eating + bad nutrition

Options
Hi,

During the past several months, I have gained about 15 pounds. I'm pretty good with exercise, but my nutrition isn't that great. I lost 50 pounds about 2 years ago by everything in moderation, so the whole idea of limiting certain foods and dieting is foreign to me. I tried to think about what has changed in my lifestyle in order for me to gain so much weight -- it sucks because a lot of my clothes don't even fit me anymore.

In short, I've been under a lot of stress recently: I haven't been getting a lot of sleep and I have been binging and emotional eating. I notice that when I come home from school I usually binge eat. So, I tried making a pre-portioned small meal, usually a salad, for myself when I get home. However, to top that off, I have been having intense sugar cravings, too. Once I eat sugar, like a chocolate covered protein bar, I end up craving more -- chocolate chips, spoonfuls of peanut butter, etc. I don't know if these cravings relate to my bad sleep habits, but I can say that I am getting tired of feeling out of control when it comes to food, especially sweets. I keep telling myself I will stop this sugar addiction but I can't!

Any tips? Any advice? What should I do? Thanks

Replies

• Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs are highly addictive. When you eat them your body releases hormones that will cause cravings for about the next 8-14 hours. As mammals we are genetically programmed to not starve by seeking out easy calories. Simple carbs are very easy calories and are bland enough to consume in large amounts. When you eat these easy calories your body releases the hormones so you will seek them out again and pack on wt for winter and not die of starvation. Mother Nature only wants you to survive til you breed, she doesn't care if you promptly drop dead of vascular disease shortly after. People who do not eat a lot of processed carbs do not feel the cravings their consumption causes. Switch to whole grain carbs and only 4 servings a day and you will notice a marked drop in your cravings. Also go to a Dr. Chronic carb cravings can indicate diabetes.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    don't have trigger foods in the house or like I did tonight give it away. I bought some donuts, kept 2 out for me and hubby and gave the rest to my neighbors house for a funeral. If I buy cake, I buy one slice at the grocery, I cant handle a whole cake here in the house. I know we have to make ourself a priority and take care of ourself and not be doing destructive things like overeating. I try to tell myself I can have it tomorrow if I am over my calorie limit. It is a lot of work logging the calories but so worth it. You can do it.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Simple carbs are highly addictive. When you eat them your body releases hormones that will cause cravings for about the next 8-14 hours. As mammals we are genetically programmed to not starve by seeking out easy calories. Simple carbs are very easy calories and are bland enough to consume in large amounts. When you eat these easy calories your body releases the hormones so you will seek them out again and pack on wt for winter and not die of starvation. Mother Nature only wants you to survive til you breed, she doesn't care if you promptly drop dead of vascular disease shortly after. People who do not eat a lot of processed carbs do not feel the cravings their consumption causes. Switch to whole grain carbs and only 4 servings a day and you will notice a marked drop in your cravings. Also go to a Dr. Chronic carb cravings can indicate diabetes.

NO.

Op, if you think you'll binge and can't control yourself, remove the things you binge on until you think you can handle it.

Start with logging everything you eat, and if you binge, log that too and revisit your diary to see patterns and help identify triggers.

Log all of your food, set a reasonable calorie goal .5lb or a 1lb per week loss. Eat your calories, don't under eat.

Get some exercise, do some strength training, go for a walk.

If you think you'll binge, go for a walk and get your mind off the food.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Good luck.
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    don't have trigger foods in the house or like I did tonight give it away. I bought some donuts, kept 2 out for me and hubby and gave the rest to my neighbors house for a funeral. If I buy cake, I buy one slice at the grocery, I cant handle a whole cake here in the house. I know we have to make ourself a priority and take care of ourself and not be doing destructive things like overeating. I try to tell myself I can have it tomorrow if I am over my calorie limit. It is a lot of work logging the calories but so worth it. You can do it.

^ Agree!

I'm a crazy sweet tooth addict and I go to school too so I know how those cravings feel. The first time I started MFP I tried to cut out sweets and desserts completely... I was craving sweets like crackhead every single day! And after a month when I finally had an emotional breakdown I gave up, stopped logging and just ate alI the sweets I pleased. And in that time I gained all the weight I lost and more.

I'm now back a year later with a better mindset, and it seems to be working so far. I don't have huge cravings any more. The cravings will only last about 10-20 minutes anyway, so try a healthy alternative like roast almonds, a tub of yoghurt, or some fruit. But if that doesn't work the only advice I can give you is portion control!!! Buy small portions, like small sundae cups instead of a huge tub of ice cream. Have a few small chocolate bars around the house, no large family packs. Like Bren24179 said, out of sight out of mind! I particularly like Weight Watchers Chocolate Chip Cookies and Sundaes, and I always have a pack of Lindt 85% Dark Chocolate in the fridge (it's so rich so a small piece should settle your cravings).

I hope that helped and good luck! :)