Why are the numbers so different?

Options
Here on MFP it says if I want to lose 2 lbs a week I need to eat 1590 calories, and then any exercise I do. However, on a TDEE calculator it says I need 2391 to maintain my weight, which means that I would only be allowed 1391 a day. This is a difference of 199 calories a day! In a month this would be the difference of almost 2 lbs! Why is this so different? Which should I follow?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    what is your activity level on MFP and on the TDEE calculator...?
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    It's because they are guesses. The only way to find out how much you should eat is trial and error.
  • sarahmichel101
    sarahmichel101 Posts: 158 Member
    Options

Couch potato! I want to keep my exercise separate.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    +/- 10% accuracy at best.

Seems odd that MFP thinks your TDEE is 2590 for sedentary though

What does http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator say ?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

Then go with what MFP says...

Most calculators are all guesses...track your calories and weight loss if at MFP levels you are losing the weight stay with it...If you aren't (and you know you your calories are correct because you weigh your food) then lower it to 1400 etc...

Mind you I found MFP bang on for me and I found most TDEE calculators off...My TDEE is 1995 based on my own numbers and when I go to websites I get ranges from 1800-2300...
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Here on MFP it says if I want to lose 2 lbs a week I need to eat 1590 calories, and then any exercise I do. However, on a TDEE calculator it says I need 2391 to maintain my weight, which means that I would only be allowed 1391 a day. This is a difference of 199 calories a day! In a month this would be the difference of almost 2 lbs! Why is this so different? Which should I follow?

Different calculators can use different formulas. In the grand scheme of things it really isn't a huge varation. It probably wouldn't be a 2lbs difference in the end. Like someone else above said, these are all just estimates. Keep in mind this whole game is just an estimate, regardless of how meticulously you log your food, there will be variations. We cannot be exact outside of a lab. Pick a number, try it for a few weeks (more than 2) and adjust from there.
    Personally, I prefer to start high then move low. I would like to keep my calorie intake at the highest I can and still lose weight at a reasonable pace. Plus, then you are just following MFP since you are here. Pick whichever you want and feel you can manage. Or average the two.

v

Keep in mind if you choose to do it that way, it is not actually TDEE since TDEE is total daily energy expenditure, which would include your exercise. I only say this because in the future if you ask more questions and mention TDEE the answers will be based on the assumption your exercise is included. It causes a lot of confusion around here.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    200 calories per day is 1400 calories per week which is about 0.5lb. Not 2lbs :)

(1lb is 3500 calories)
  • sarahmichel101
    Options
    200 calories per day is 1400 calories per week which is about 0.5lb. Not 2lbs :)

(1lb is 3500 calories)

I said a month actually. 199 Calories times 31 days is almost 2 pounds a MONTH. I don't believe anyone should really lose more than 2 lbs a week anyways.

I have been doing fine losing weight on MFP, I am just not satisfied with the way I feel. I will give it more time and see how it goes before I switch to anything else. I find MFP difficult because it doesn't count calories for things like hours of shopping, or other not everyday, but mundane activities.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    It's because they are guesses. The only way to find out how much you should eat is trial and error.
    ^^^This.

Pick a calorie goal and follow it for two weeks, then reevaluate.

Read this: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • benlambrou
    benlambrou Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    the things you are mentioning that you do not like that MFP doesnt account for is why you do not figure in that you are a couch potato though. you atleast go with somewhat active which most people are at the least. Than you add your actual exercise in after words and eat half of the total value of that. The calorie calc is going off true honesty and not us rigging it. But as others have mentioned you really have to give it trial and error and you seem your are losing so things sound like you are going in the right direction. And if you ever do stop get a food scale and see how that works.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options

This. Start with a goal to lose 1 lb/week. It will be easier to manage. If you get the hang of that, bump it to 1 1/2... then 2. Get into it slowly.
  • acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options

How come all the good answers all already taken?:sad:
  • Angela26point2finisher
    Options
    The most important part is being consistent. Choosing to lose 1 pound per week will allow you a few more calories, which can make adjusting to a change in lifestyle much easier. Also, sticking to real food, and avoiding processed food helps weight loss go faster.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options

I said a month actually. 199 Calories times 31 days is almost 2 pounds a MONTH. I don't believe anyone should really lose more than 2 lbs a week anyways.

I have been doing fine losing weight on MFP, I am just not satisfied with the way I feel. I will give it more time and see how it goes before I switch to anything else. I find MFP difficult because it doesn't count calories for things like hours of shopping, or other not everyday, but mundane activities.
    actually it does count shopping for hours, its called walking at leisurely pace. I have the same dilemma when it comes to what to actually listen to: do I want to use mfp's guided settings or use my tdee which includes my daily activities and exercise. I found that when I first started and used mfp's settings I have lost weight just fine but now that I lost more and am more active than when I started, I hit a plateu so I have mine set up at tdee and losing 20% of the tdee. it gives me more calories than what mfp gives me but I am losing again. MFP is designed so that you are initially eating at a sedentary level and you have to input your exercise and activity calories (yes that includes shopping or cleaning) and then eat those calories back. TDEE is your total daily energy expenditure (basic metabolic plus extra calories expended for the day. if you use this method then you don't have to eat back your exercise calories burned because the amount of exercise is already taken into account for the tdee. either method is going to put you at a deficit but you have to pick one and be honest about how active or inactive you are. definitely count your calories eaten correctly too. there are many different formulas out there for figuring out your bmr and tdee. harris benedic and katch mcadle are common ones but there are others. you will find a that with each formula/method you will come up with a different number. don't let this confuse you too much. remember these are gueses/ estimators. every person is different. what works for you may not work for me. they all indeed work. the trick is to pick one and stick with it. trust me on this: I have looked into a lot of them. I found some good sites. I personally have my calories set to tdee minus 20%. so far so good as long as I do the exercise that I said I do (moderate level 3-5 days of exercise). don't get too caught up in the numbers. just pick one and follow through like the other responders have stated. try it out for 2-3 weeks and see if it is working for you. if not then tweak it a bit by 1-200 calories. the best advice that I found lately is that you need to eat more to lose... this is so true for me anyways. I hope this helps you. Remember this is a learning process with every week you are doing it. Good luck.:drinker:
  • scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Options

If you want to keep track of things like that, think about a FitBit and link it to MFP and enable positive calorie adjustments. If you spend several hours walking around the mall, and the FitBit estimate for your total calories is higher then MFPs, you will get a FitBit calorie adjustment as an exercise entry. I use it to capture the less formal exercise - things like walking, moving around the office, and other activities that I don't really consider working out.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think they are all just estimates and it's up to you to see what works best for you.trial and error.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I find MFP difficult because it doesn't count calories for things like hours of shopping, or other not everyday, but mundane activities.
    All of those activities are part of your activity level. You could try dropping your activity level to sedentary & logging your shopping.

Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Try it for at least 2 weeks, then reevaluate.

Read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • sarahmichel101
    Options
    I find MFP difficult because it doesn't count calories for things like hours of shopping, or other not everyday, but mundane activities.
    All of those activities are part of your activity level. You could try dropping your activity level to sedentary & logging your shopping.

Weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Try it for at least 2 weeks, then reevaluate.

Read the Sexypants link: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Thank you for the advice everyone. MFP HAS been working, so I guess I will continue until I see a plateau. As some of you may have seen I also posted a topic on carrying calories from one day to another. I exercise 4 times a week, but tend to eat more on the days I do NOT exercise. This was the reason I was looking at the TDEE, as it divides the calories over every day. However, I am uncomfortable with the numbers that calculation provided for me. This is week ten on MFP and I am down two sizes, and feeling better. I guess those ten weeks were trials, and nothing has went wrong yet.
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options

(1lb is 3500 calories)

It would if you put lightly active instead of sedentary.