Take a break?

Options
Does anyone just take a break from this for a week? Like just be at maintenance mode for a week just to relax and eat. Then the following week eat back at your plan...I'm thinking maybe every 10 lbs do this.

Replies

• hgycta
    hgycta Posts: 3,013 Member
    Options
    Different things work for different people, of this helps you then go for it! While you may not lose as much as you technically would, if you feel it's more realistic and sustainable for you, don't even question it! I remember reading somewhere that success rates are higher among people who diet every other day (not between "binge" days, just normal maintenance and then dieting, than those who restrict every day (which can feel depriving).
    Personally I always found it easier to cut back 100 calories a day and watch it add up, though I have tried this method too and found it helpful.
    Good luck! Hope it goes well :) don't give up
  • csk0018
    csk0018 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've only taken a "break" when I get sick --- I do stay within my daily calorie intake everyday but I don't exercise until I'm feeling better. It's hard for me to take breaks though because it took so long for me to be in a daily routine -- I worry taking a week off will cause me to slack off more and more. But that's just me. Definitely do what will work for you and have you easily continue towards your goals.
  • unesemainedecruaute
    unesemainedecruaute Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Look, the only way that you can make nutrition a part of your life, is getting to know yourself. If you need to take a break -as stated above- do not hesitate.

As long as the break does not involve un-healthy actions, you can make it part of your diet and/or life. There is a technique out of this for people dieting that is called "refeed", but is more focused in having the metabolism to have a break (so it doesn't get "used" to the diet), than the soul to take a break, as this might be the case.
  • Bubbanbuzz
    Bubbanbuzz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been on this program for a little over a year now. I have lost approx. 45 lbs now. I broke my foot & ankle & badly sprained my wrist 2 months ago so I can't do too much of anything. I haven't lost any weight since, I keep gaining a couple lbs & then lose it but can't get past 45 lbs. I still try to watch what I eat almost every day too (but I admit that I do cheat sometimes). I think I'm at that plateau now because my goal was to lose 50 lbs. in a year. I will probably try to lose at least 60, if I can. Everybody's different. My daughter watches what she eats Monday thru Friday & eats whatever she wants on weekends & it works for her.
  • Slim_strategy
    Options
    I'm currently on a break, I lost all the weight (as stated on my ticker) in just over a year and then decided to maintain which I have been for about 3 months , I recently decided that at some point I would like to lose another 10lbs this year but I'm happy to just wait a bit more until I do that
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I took a break for the month of December because I was getting too stressed trying to stay under.

And yeah, every so often I will have a day or a few days at maintanence to preserve my sanity or other reasons.

I hear it is good for the metabolism too.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    This is the maintaining forum, so hopefully most people never see a 10 pound change!

I'm assuming you're losing and on a deficit. Instead of taking a break for a week, why don't you pop up to maintenance and keep logging for a week? Then go back to your plan? You keep your good habits, get a lot more calories, don't gain anything, and then go back to losing.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Does anyone just take a break from this for a week? Like just be at maintenance mode for a week just to relax and eat. Then the following week eat back at your plan...I'm thinking maybe every 10 lbs do this.
    Sally,

I have made a lifestyle change. There is no reason to "take a break". I am now at maintenance and will always need to watch my calorie intake. I eat what I want when I want but while staying within a calorie limit, and I did this from day one, and I have successfully lost weight and hopefully will successfully maintain.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Taking a break at maintenance = yoyo'ing. If you don't mind putting on some weight and relosing it later, well, feel free, but it really doesn't work that way..
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Taking a break at maintenance = yoyo'ing. If you don't mind putting on some weight and relosing it later, well, feel free, but it really doesn't work that way..

I think you misunderstood. I think she is still losing weight, and wants to take a maintenance break for every 10 pounds lost. I would assume OP would still log. And this is actually a good idea, as long as they know they will be able to get back on track. Sometimes that is difficult, at least for me.

This is the way I read it.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking OP is talking about taking a break from eating at a deficit to eat at maintenance for a week. I did this a couple of times (for two weeks though) while I was losing. There are potential psychological benefits, and possibly physiological ones depending on how long you've been at a deficit, and how severe it is. I would go out on a limb and argue that given the nature of calorie counting, taking a break from logging at all could have psychological benefits too. For some people, anyway.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html
  • JimiB73
    JimiB73 Posts: 34
    Options
    The few times I've taken a break, I get lazy. Not so much working out, but my diet slowly turns to crap. Logging doesn't take me that long, and keeps me where I want to be, so no breaks for me. But I will have the occasional cheat meal.
  • morticia16
    morticia16 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I've never taken a real break while working towards my goal. But when I hit maintenance, I did stop logging in daily.
  • sally884
    sally884 Posts: 51
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments!! Is there a way to notify you when you get comments as I did not even see this until I went on the computer and checked...

Anyways yes what I meant was I am at a 500 cal deficit and every now and then just eat at maintenance but still log. (Ie eat those 500) No weight would be gained or lost. Just a break. I figure one week of not losing a pound isn't too bad plus I need to learn to be at maintenance as well.

Just wondering if anyone had done this.
  • sally884
    sally884 Posts: 51
    Options
    I choose this forum specifically but yes I am losing.
  • mfp2014mfp
    mfp2014mfp Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Set a deadline for your break and if you know you can stick to it then get back on track, go right ahead :flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I haven't done it, but I can't see why it wouldn't be fine. Taking a short break from losing by switching over to maintenance sounds like a reasonable plan to me. As long as you don't plan on taking a break from maintenance, too...:flowerforyou:
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    The few times I've taken a break, I get lazy. Not so much working out, but my diet slowly turns to crap. Logging doesn't take me that long, and keeps me where I want to be, so no breaks for me. But I will have the occasional cheat meal.

I don't think she's talking about taking a break from logging. She means she wants to go on maintenance level calories for awhile. I still log and I'm in maintenance mode. :smile:
  • JazmineYoli
    JazmineYoli Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Sometimes for holidays and vacations I eat at maintenance for a 'break'. It's nice to eat a maintenance sometimes and not stress so much.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I do. I've lost a lot of weight in the last 9 or so months. But I've felt the need a few times to take breaks (breaks from active losing), sometimes lasting as much as a couple weeks of just free eating. And let me tell you, the last couple weeks a lot of cookies have gone down this man's gullet.

Still losing.