Pumpkin-for the fall!

fitinyoga14
fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
Here are some ideas for making delicious creations containing canned pumpkin.

Mix with vanilla yogurt and granola for a pumpkin parfait

mix with peanut butter to make a lighter spread for a pb/pumpkin/banana sandwich or anything else you would spread pb on

stir into warm oatmeal and add pumpkin pie spice and a little lite maple syrup

stir into cooked brown rice to make it more risotto-like

bake in a casserole dish with a little brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg until warm and slightly browned.

make a 'crustless pumpkin pie' (see weight watcher's recipe online)

Embrace the pumpkin season and enjoy!! :drinker:

Replies

• 4lafz
    4lafz Posts: 1,078 Member
    Canned pumpkin in short supply this year due to the frost last year! I can only find organic at the specialty stores! I do use for many things so if Libby comes out with some for Thanksgiving I am going to stock up!
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    bump
  • ymamyma
    ymamyma Posts: 227
    Canned pumpkin in short supply this year due to the frost last year! I can only find organic at the specialty stores! I do use for many things so if Libby comes out with some for Thanksgiving I am going to stock up!

Libby's is already canning pumpkin! They have been for almost four weeks now. Pumpkin is still in short supply again this year -- last year due to heavy rainfall and this year due to frosts. If you haven't already you should be seeing canned pumpkin at your grocery stores.

I know, I sound like a nerd, but I work at a grocery store! Kroger canned pumpkin should be available if you live near a Kroger store. :heart:
  • MaureenH39
    MaureenH39 Posts: 315 Member
    Stirring in oatmeal sounds yummy....they all do! Thanks!
  • pickledlilly
    pickledlilly Posts: 98 Member
    Loads of it in the UK, trouble is not many know what to do with it except stick candles in at halloween.
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    would pumpkin cooked and blended be the same as canned pumpkin??
    im in the uk and have never been able to find canned pumpkin! but i love roasted pumpkin and mashed pumpkin or squash... so would i be able to make all these yummy things from a fresh pumpkin?
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    I have been add in a 1/4c to my oatbran with spices :-)~ I also made a protien shake yesterday 1/2 c pumpkin, 1scoop ISO sensation vanilla bean whey protien and spices cinnamom,nutmeg and pumpkin pie spice. YUMMO
  • jbootman
    jbootman Posts: 145 Member
    thank you to those discussing the relative unavailability of pumpkin, last year I could not find it at Costco and waited until too late, and yesterday despite the pies at Costco there was no canned pumpkin, I was going to wait, but not now, I am going straight to the regular grocery store and stock up, then if Costco gets some I will just buy more, this is an excellent low calorie food that is good all year, savory and sugar-free sweet, thank you for starting this thread today
  • would pumpkin cooked and blended be the same as canned pumpkin??
    im in the uk and have never been able to find canned pumpkin! but i love roasted pumpkin and mashed pumpkin or squash... so would i be able to make all these yummy things from a fresh pumpkin?

generally yes. canned pumpkin in the US usually has some spices in it and maybe a tad bit of sugar as well but, 1) thats easy to make yourself and 2) i prefer the non sweetened canned kind anyway :)
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Sounds good, Will be looking for canned pumpkin at the store next time I am there.
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Loads of it in the UK, trouble is not many know what to do with it except stick candles in at halloween.

Totally agree, I did actually used the "scooped out bits" last year.... for the first time in my life!!

Thanks for the ideas :smile:
  • timbotina
    timbotina Posts: 1,130 Member

PUMPKIN IS BACK, don't know for how long or how large a supply but got some at the store Thursday and made a pie (crustless) today....YUMMO!!!! LOVE pumpkin......
  • jbootman
    Libby's makes 2 kinds of canned pumpkin, one is plain, no spices, no sugar, the other is Pie Mix with spices and sugar, look at the labels and pick accordingly
  • jbootman
    Libby's makes 2 kinds of canned pumpkin, one is plain, no spices, no sugar, the other is Pie Mix with spices and sugar, look at the labels and pick accordingly
  • Oh, that sounds so yummy. Thank you.
  • Katiekat1182
    Katiekat1182 Posts: 83 Member
    Bumping, Thanks for the great ideas!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    would pumpkin cooked and blended be the same as canned pumpkin??

generally yes. canned pumpkin in the US usually has some spices in it and maybe a tad bit of sugar as well but, 1) thats easy to make yourself and 2) i prefer the non sweetened canned kind anyway :)

I've compared the 2 to see if I should just wait until Halloween is over and cook my jack-o-lantern and found that canned had much more fiber. Weird.
  • LoriT129
    LoriT129 Posts: 312 Member
    bumping for later! Thanks for sharing! :)
This discussion has been closed.