What is your number one motivator?

Options

Replies

• Bonnies411
    Bonnies411 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    My 30th Birthday is in June. Sadly, I've been over 200 pounds all through my 20s. I want to celebrate my Birthday at 195 or under!
  • KatM2014
    KatM2014 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    My pony is my main motivation, if I am too heavy for him, we can't compete!
  • SierraHeart
    Options
    1.) Grad Pictures
    2.) Summer Clothes
    3.) College in the Fall
    4.) Maybe Prom..
    5.) Skinny Jeans
    6.) Hiking
    7.) Better Skin?
  • hyg99
    hyg99 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Buying the next clothes size up. Gutted. Knew it was now time to get it shifted.

Now motivation is getting easier, as have lost 25lb and people commenting. Still a long way to go but every 1lb takes me nearer.
  • csontos
    csontos Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Pretty much self-explanatory. What is the number one thing that gets you motivated or keeps you motivated to make this lifestyle change?

For me, it was realizing that I was going to be starting my Master's program in public health in the fall and that I am obese. I realized that I was trying to be a "special snowflake" and trying to ignore everything that I had ever learned in my public health classes about the dangers of obesity. It just felt so hypocritical. So, here I am! Every time I feel discouraged or want to scarf down a cupcake, I open up my acceptance letters and read them instead.

Hi, I was wondering if you could give your thoughts on your program? I'm considering doing a Master's in public health or health policy. Any feedback would be great :)

And to answer your question, I'm doing this for health reasons and to look good lol
    I AM SO EXCITED TO START. Seriously. I didn't make in Public Health but it was my minor. I'm doing a concentration in Epidemiology. My dream is to work for the CDC and I want to wear a hazmat suit one day :) I thought I wanted to go to dental school my whole entire life until I started taking PH classes as a junior in college. Quickly, I changed my mind. I got my first acceptance about 3 weeks ago and basically cried. 5 more have come in since then and it's just been an awesome experience.
  • csontos
    Options
    I want abs basically.

and an *kitten* which makes me/others cry
    I want to go clubbing before I become that creepy cougar and shake my *kitten* and make people cry by how great it is. I totally get you.
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Pretty much self-explanatory. What is the number one thing that gets you motivated or keeps you motivated to make this lifestyle change?

For me, it was realizing that I was going to be starting my Master's program in public health in the fall and that I am obese. I realized that I was trying to be a "special snowflake" and trying to ignore everything that I had ever learned in my public health classes about the dangers of obesity. It just felt so hypocritical. So, here I am! Every time I feel discouraged or want to scarf down a cupcake, I open up my acceptance letters and read them instead.

Hi, I was wondering if you could give your thoughts on your program? I'm considering doing a Master's in public health or health policy. Any feedback would be great :)

And to answer your question, I'm doing this for health reasons and to look good lol
    I AM SO EXCITED TO START. Seriously. I didn't make in Public Health but it was my minor. I'm doing a concentration in Epidemiology. My dream is to work for the CDC and I want to wear a hazmat suit one day :) I thought I wanted to go to dental school my whole entire life until I started taking PH classes as a junior in college. Quickly, I changed my mind. I got my first acceptance about 3 weeks ago and basically cried. 5 more have come in since then and it's just been an awesome experience.

That's awesome! Congrats on the acceptances! So many decisions to make, but it seems like a really good field. Hmmm :huh:
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    I want back into the Reserves and I was disgusted with myself when I was so out of breath when reading outloud to my child. I should have never let myself get that way and now, I'm doing a lot better.
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    Frankly it was the size of my *kitten*. You can run but you cant hide from that. So the only way to shrink it is to step up.
  • stephross88
    stephross88 Posts: 846 Member
    Options
    My will to live.
  • chloebethparks
    Options
    I play roller derby. A few pounds off=better jamming skills, a few pounds of muscle=better everything skills :)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Honestly, looking in a mirror at "Fat me" and thinking about what I looked like 40 lbs ago. I've been there, I know what it's like. It's amazing. It's a different life, a different world, and simply being skinny in my old jeans and able to run 8 miles at a time without stopping like I used to is all of the motivation I need.
  • michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    to be a hot guy for once
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I'm avoiding the next higher weight class. There's a pretty serious difference between fighting a 199lb guy and a 218-234lb guy.

jeff-monson-bill-cooper.jpg

wrestler?
  • sue_stef
    sue_stef Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    not vanity
    I'm already lovely
    not looking good in a bikini
    I would wear one anyways and be comfortable in it

saving my life from diabetes and heart disease
    living long enough and well enough to take care of my severely autistic son so he is not stuck with strangers or his brothers just to get him ready for the world

oh and I love proving my doctors wrong when they said diet and exercise would not fix my numbers and I needed to go on meds
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Fitting into the clothes I own! And the mirror!!
  • Lilymay2
    Lilymay2 Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Wow, just reading through everyone's "#1 Motivator" is really encouraging. :flowerforyou:

I topped out at 205. very depressing!! My goal is 165. 12 lbs to go. I can bend and pick up the grandkids... I can squat and get back up all by myself!!! AND I don't want to lose that.

Yup - looked in the mirror and didn't like what I seen. Now I just have a bit of a muffin top but my 3 miles a day with Leslie Sansone is helping tone that up.

I gave up everything white... some things have come back in but sugar loves arthritis so that won't be back. Potatoes also aggravate arthritis so I can have them once a week maybe.

I am 54 - (I hope I don't become the creepy cougar from a few posts back)...I love my new jeans. I love to golf and love to curl and they have become way easier to play now that I weigh 28 lbs less....

Everyone has their reasons for losing weight and being healthy ... I think the key is " You have to do it for Yourself"...:smooched: :happy:
  • SCSTWG
    SCSTWG Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Health. Without it you have nothing.
  • csontos
    Options
    Wow, just reading through everyone's "#1 Motivator" is really encouraging. :flowerforyou:
    I agree!
  • Alehmer
    Alehmer Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I'm avoiding the next higher weight class. There's a pretty serious difference between fighting a 199lb guy and a 218-234lb guy.

jeff-monson-bill-cooper.jpg

wrestler?

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo, both of which are full-contact grappling. (Throws, takedowns, joint-locks)

You never slack off a workout when it's making sure a large and capable man doesn't choke you unconscious! And it's a great motivator to make sure that in competition, that other man is as small as possible. Fighting in heavyweight can be rough.