Down 16lbs in a week?

Options
So the scale said 309 this morning. Its only been a week and its down from 16lbs. How can this be? I haven't changed the position of the scale, and Ive weighed with the same birthday suit on. I did the triple check, where you get on the scale three different times and it still said 309. Can someone help? Is it possible to have actually loss 16lbs this quick?

Replies

• mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    So the scale said 309 this morning. Its only been a week and its down from 16lbs. How can this be? I haven't changed the position of the scale, and Ive weighed with the same birthday suit on. I did the triple check, where you get on the scale three different times and it still said 309. Can someone help? Is it possible to have actually loss 16lbs this quick?

Not to burst your high but the majority of it is probably water weight. Since you have a lot to lose the initial shock to your body can produce a big drop. Enjoy it now cause the less you weigh the harder it will be to produce big #'s
  • blbond82
    Options
    In the first week, probably. You lose a lot of water weight in the first couple weeks and my experience is the heavier you are the more weight you lose right in the beginning.
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately true..... but enjoy the moment and the motivation that brings.... you may even see a "2" in the front next week!!!:bigsmile:
  • scodymack
    Options
    Oh, No bubble busted. I was actually concerned, not excited! I want to lose this weight in the healthiest way possible so it doesn't come back! And I was wanting to make sure that I didn't need to buy a new scale!
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    If you've drastically changed your eating and exercise then it is possible. It's mostly water weight and your body adjusting. Typically the heavier you are the more you may drop at the beginning. It is not a result you will be getting regularly. Once your body adjusts it will not have as much water to release and your weight loss will slow to a more regular amount. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, eating the right foods to get proper nutrition, and exercising enough to burn calories, but not hurt yourself. You are on your way! You are doing great! Keep up the good work and don't get discouraged if the weight doesn't come off that fast next week. :)
  • hoperenee88
    hoperenee88 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I cant lose weight for the life of my I am doing everything :(
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options

No idea, but I tell you what I would do..... I would jump for joy LOL!

A lot of weight is usually lost during that first week (not for everyone, but on average that is), mainly because excess water comes off for the first two weeks and then the fat burning really begins and this is why the weightloss suddenly slows right down after three weeks. 16lbs is more than normal for sure, but I, for one, will not dampen your spirits and am going to say WTG.

If the scales are wrong, they will show it next week.

In the meantime, good on ya!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • Amarillo_NDN
    Amarillo_NDN Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    When a person first starts a program, it not unusal to drop 10-15 lbs in first week. You would be surprise, just how much is in the bowls and extra water weight.

Just don't be surpised if the next week is no lose or even a small gain. But then you could lose just a lb
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options

Not to burst your high but the majority of it is probably water weight. Since you have a lot to lose the initial shock to your body can produce a big drop. Enjoy it now cause the less you weigh the harder it will be to produce big #'s

this is very true! weight drops alot at first, then you'll hit plateaus along the way because your body will adjust to everything your doing. i think it hits about 150 for girls maybe 200 for most guys.
  • melodys_attic
    melodys_attic Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Everyone is probably right about the water weight loss. But yay! I've only lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks but people are stopping me randomly to say how much better I look. Ya. OK.... It must be the less bloat thing???? I'm probably also standing a little taller and prouder? As an aside... I actually wish people would not say anything. It makes me self conscious and uncomfortable. But whatevs.

With respect to you who say you are "doing everything" but not losing. Maybe you need to look at whether you are eating enough? Sometimes a body that thinks it's being starved will just hang on to whatever it's got? Also... vegetables challenge your body more than carbs and you probably burn more calories just digesting veggies and high fibre stuff. Check your food logs and see what's on there I'd say.

:drinker:
  • Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    I agree with those telling you alot of it is probably water weight and over then next few weeks as you adjust to better eating habits and drinking plenty of water will be when the "true" loss takes place. Be sure and measure your body so that when things start to slow donw you will see the difference in inches:drinker:
    :flowerforyou: luck with MFP, it's a great place to get all the encouragement you will need

Laura:smile:
  • bellanean
    Options
    I just looked at your diary, your not eating much and working out a lot! It would make sense for you to lose that much during the first week. Keep it up, your doing a great job!