Warning....RANT!

Options
the reactions im getting from my weight loss are so discouraging!

amoungst them my least favorite would have to be 'You've lost weight?' said in the most definate and surprised way.

Anyone else had discouraging reactions? what have you done to deal with it?
xx

Replies

• 1Steph1
    1Steph1 Posts: 145
    Options
    Nothing. If you cant change something its just pointless to focus on it because it will just drive you crazy. Move past the comments and keep focusing on yourself and the people who support you :)
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    People are so busy now and seem to pay very little to there surroundings so maybe they just had a it's not all about me moment and finally noticed your weight loss and it caught them by surprise. Id love to here anything about mine I have so much to lose mine isn't even noticeable. Id take what I could get. Is yours not noticeable like me?
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I cant really say I have had this problem yet. No one has noticed my weight loss. even though I am down 20 lbs since last summer :(

I would take it as a compliment even if said rudely. More than likely....they are jealous or just bitter inside and dont want others to be happy. keep going!!!
  • butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    dont let it get to you..you just keep on doing what your doing...remember one thing..your doing this for YOURSELF and no one else..:bigsmile: dont let anyone get you down...
  • mrsyac2
    mrsyac2 Posts: 2,784 Member
    Options
    why would someone saying You Lost Weight!! be discouraging you should be happy people are noticing. Just say yes,thank you for noticing and keep it moving.
  • kappyblu
    kappyblu Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    I also have so much to lose that no one can notice my 15 pounds gone except for me. But aren't I the most important person to notice? Ok, I admit, I look forward very much to someone commenting on my weight loss. It will mean the most coming from those close to me. I think what someone else said is right...people are caught up in their own lives and don't take notice of others as often as they should. When they finally look up and look around, that's when they notice. Hang in there!
  • gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I also have so much to lose that no one can notice my 15 pounds gone except for me. But aren't I the most important person to notice? Ok, I admit, I look forward very much to someone commenting on my weight loss. It will mean the most coming from those close to me. I think what someone else said is right...people are caught up in their own lives and don't take notice of others as often as they should. When they finally look up and look around, that's when they notice. Hang in there!

I only have 40 pounds to lose and no one has noticed my 16 pounds.
  • nikkijennings
    nikkijennings Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Maybe cos I'm being so BLUNT and telling ANYONE WHO'LL LISTEN :wink: that I'm trying to lose weight that I get comments every single day!!!!

Mind you, it may only be 11 lbs but it IS in the right places.... I've gone from a UK 20/22 to a UK 14/16..... But I AM wearing different sized clothes to show it off..... ie a bright red dress and red heels on Friday to work ..... you couldn't FAIL to notice me tee hee!!!! :bigsmile:
  • lsiberian
    Options
    Well if it's a guy then he has no choice but to say that. Otherwise he'd imply that you aren't already looking great. I'd not worry about comments and focus on getting it done. Comments are really tough to make in regards to weight loss. It's thin ice because it's so easy for a complement to become an insult. I imagine it was meant as a compliment.
  • tjbeer
    tjbeer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean...I think the worst was...."OMG you must have been really fat!!!!" I did wonder does this mean i'm still fat!!!!

But I picked my chin up and lost another 7lbs, don't let the bad comments get you down....they can only make you stronger and more determined.

Keep up your good work.

:happy:
  • KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    You are doing really great. It definitely should be noticeable. There is no reason anyone should be surprised. :grumble: Just ignore them and keep it up. I am so proud of you. Losing sizes is great. I just tell people because I know it is not going to be noticeable for a long time on me. What you are doing is wonderful. :flowerforyou: I think that is why this site works for me. We are the only ones who know how hard this is. Go ahead and rant and go ahead and celebrate. Just keep it up till you reach your goal. You will!:drinker:
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options

I only have 40 pounds to lose and no one has noticed my 16 pounds.

I still have 127 pds to go so I think i'll have a long wait for someone to notice lost weight i had lost 27 and now only 15 gotta get on the ball
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Hmmm....wait till you get the "don't get too skinny" remark, which is code-talk for "Hey! Your boobs are shrinking! Stop!!!". This was the cause of a major relapse for me and I gained another 10 pounds before I said to heck with them and decided to be healthy and accept my body for what it was when it is HEALTHY. Hang in there. Most people have zilch for manners.
  • josparkle
    josparkle Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Aren't people funny?

Sometimes it's jealousy. Even from 'friends', they don't want you to change - you might be prettier/more successful/thinner than them and they like it the way it is. When everyone imagines a change, they imagine it the way they would like it to be so when something else changes that wasn't quite what they expected, it can be an unwelcome surprise.

Sometimes it's genuine surprise and maybe they didn't really feel you needed to lose weight because they just accepted you as you are which is generally good. Someone I know always says to me that they don't think I need to lose weight to which I reply that's kind but I will feel better if I do. And that's the end of it. I don't think it's meant unkindly either way really.

The thing to remember is how good you feel when you've met your exercise goals. kept within your cals and finally got into the dress/jeans/out of bed without wincing....whatever.

Lose more - make 'em really notice!
  • rubysparkle
    rubysparkle Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I have had comments that I have lost a weight - even though it's only 11lbs I think it is quite noticeable in my shoulders and face. However there is a colleague at work who i noticed had lost a lot of weight, literally had shrunk before my eyes and I wanted to say wow you have lost a lot of weight but i didnt want it to sound like i was saying she was big before, i really didnt know how to express that she looked great so I just said you are looking so well at the moment. I know some people at work that have lost a lot of weight due to illness so it is a tricky one.

I think it can be a hard subject sometimes to approach because weight is quite a sensitive issue for a lot of people. I just try and focus on the health aspect and that they looking very well. I always hated it when my family praised me for losing weight and then if i put it on i would get a kind of unspoken criticism which made me feel even worse about myself.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    My normal conversation (usually last as long as an elevator ride) goes something like this:
    Them: "Wow you have lost weight. You are looking good."
    Me: "Thanks yes I have."
    Them: "How much have you lost?"
    Me: "Around 60lbs."
    Them: "How are you doing it?"
    Me: "It's this new miracle weight loss plan called watching what I eat and exercise."
    From there it goes either I tell them about myfitness pal or They say I don't need to lose any more.
    That is the one that annoys me "Well you don't need to lose any more." Just because I am an average size doesn't mean I am at a healthly weight. I am still considered overweight just under obesse actually. My clothes still hide alot of things. So yes I still have weight to lose. I am happy with the progress so far but I don't want them putting the idea in my head that it's okay to stop now.
    So for the ones that don't get the comments yet it wasn't until I was about 25 lbs down that people started noticing and then from there its comments all the time.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I think you don't hear anything, or at least me because over the years I have lost and gained and they are now on a wait and see approach. I don't blame them. Plus one friend said telling me I looked great sounded like she didn't think I looked great before and because she is my friend she likes me no matter what. So I really am not bothered if no one ever mentions it. But I am hearing it from my hubby and family, who count.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Here is my favorite :noway: " WOW you KEPT the weight off????":huh:

Then of course.......How did you keep it off? Well I continued to exercise everyday and make better choices at eating. "Oh" all disappointed and they walk away.

It is funny, when I went off course the ppl I know seemed to revel in it. I had heart sx, our office closed, and thank God I was hired into another department. Very stressful times and I handled them 50% better than I would have 2 years ago. I gained back about 5 pound, but lost my mojo on working out and gave permission to eat crap.

So we had a luncheon and I had BIG old slab of something greasy and one of the girls snickered and said something like "Jeannie's hungry to-DAY!" (she really wasnt being mean) I thanked her and put the crap back and loaded my plate with lettuce.

PPL do not realize how their words effect you. " You've lost WEIGHT?" really now..........if I just told you I did, why did you have to say that??????:grumble: