Hot and sour grilled chicken soup 465 cals, 81g protein

Options
Elsie_Brownraisin
Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
Hi,

Made this soup from Nigel Slater's 'Real Cooking' the other night, it was delicious.

For 2

500g chicken breast or thighs, cut into thin strips
a little groundnut oil
1.5 litres chicken stock (he specifies good quality, so I'd use homemade or the stuff you can buy in jars or pouches instead of a stock cube. I used the pouch stuff and it was fine).
2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
2 small red chillies, seeded and chopped (I used bird eye)
2 stalks of lemon grass, peeled, crushed and roughly chopped
6 fresh lime leaves, rolled up tight and finely shredded (if you can get hold of them)
1 tbs thai fish sauce (nam pla)
4 spring onions, finely sliced
Juice of 1 lime
Handful of chopped coriander (omitted this time, because I'd run out)

1. Brush the chicken strips with oil and grill them until golden brown (I used griddle pan); try not to overcook them.

2. Transfer to a medium-sized and pour over the stock, then bring to the boil and add the chillies, garlic, lemon grass, lime leaves and fish sauce.

3. Simmer at a gentle pace for about 10 mins

4. Add the spring onions and the lime juice, and simmer, with a little salt and ground black pepper added, for a further 5 minutes.

5. Stir in the coriander and serve steaming hot.

I left the bits of herbs at the bottom of the bowl when I ate it. I'm going to try diluting the stock and using this recipe (without the meat) to poach a fish soon.

This would be really good if you have a cold too, followed by a couple of hot rum toddies.

Replies