How many rest days should I take? Help!

Okay for the past few months, ive generally exercised daily.I set out to have one or two rest days but I ended up going for 1-2 hour walks on the rest days.

Typically, my exercise routine would be:

Monday : strength and conditioning for about 1 hour full body
Tuesday: hockey training for 2 hours
Wednesday: 4-6km run
Thursday: hockey training for 2 hours
Friday: 1-2h brisk walk
Saturday :1-2h brisk walk
Sunday: 5-8km run

And lately, since I was wearing running shoes that was worn out (I didn't know it was worn out until I actually changed my shoes and realised the difference in my old shoes), and I developed stress fractures in my shin as a result. I think it is a stress fracture because my shin is very tender at a specific spot on the shin and it hurts when I press on the bone and the pain can be crippling. Therefore, ive been feeling a need to rest for the past few days and I rested on Friday. Today, I did a short 2+km walk but it's still a rest day to me.

I feel guilty and restless if I don't exercise but I really don't know if I should go on to exercise so much because I still need to perform well for hockey (run fast and have endurance and strength).

How many rest days do you people take? And how many rest days should I take? I am not entirely sure if I have a stress fractures but it feels like it, and it hurts when I run, which sucks but I just push on anyways.. I might be going to the doctor's for a check up.

Replies

• _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    If you think you have a stress fracture stop what your doing and go to the Doctor. By continuing to do weight bearing exercise you could make the situation far worse. I say again go to the Doctor
  • derekj222
    derekj222 Posts: 370 Member
    My rest day is every other Sunday. This works best for my schedule. I'm not a heavy lifter or anything so I don't need as many, IMO. I generally run 3x week, lift 5-6 days a week. It depends on how you feel. In the beginning I didn't like taking rest days, but with all the added stress of long runs, I really need to. Although you feel lost on an off day, just make sure your diet is on target.
    As for the stress fracture, make sure to go to your doctor, those can put you out of commission for months. I would say easy walks are okay, see what your doctor says.
  • fangmouse
    fangmouse Posts: 119
    Oh yes I really want to go to the doctor's but I'm afraid to tell my parents because I'm afraid that they will make me stop playing sports and running and I honestly can't live without them because exercising literally keeps me sane (I had depression before I started exercising regularly).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I take two rest days per week...generally I walk on my rest days and/or do some yoga, I just take a rest from vigorous exercise, a rest day doesn't mean I just sit on my *kitten* That said, if you have a stress fracture you need more than a rest day and you need to go see the doctor. I had a strained posterior tibial tendon in October and as unfortunate as it is, the only thing that was going to heal that was rest...like 12 weeks of it...with doing very little beyond upper body work. Go see a doctor.
  • TonyStark30
    TonyStark30 Posts: 497 Member
    only walk for an 1 hour max on your Rest days, and on top of that Rest ANYTIME you feel too drained/injured.
    And like what was already said just make sure diet is on point that day.