Feel good foods!

Options
Hey Everyone!

I'm coming back into this after months of being away due to a mental health break down. I'm in recovery, receiving treatment and in a good space to start taking care of myself properly. I would like to take a holistic approach, and I'm aware how much food can help me with that. So I wanted to ask for some tips?
From a young age I've had problems with my blood sugar levels, as a result of being bought up on white refined carbs (pasta, white bread, white potatoes, rice) as staple to my meals alongside all of the snacks and treats I used to put away!
I'm trying to change that, but I still find I get really bad lows with it, dizziness, exhaustion, muscle pain.
I also think I'm not drinking enough water, so that it something I'm going to improve.
Does anyone have any more tips?/ Good recipes that I can prepare ahead of time? I think organisation will be key for me too.

I read that it can take one month to regulate your blood sugar levels. I'll be honest, I don't want to cut it all out completely, but I am aware it affects my ability to live well and that is something I need to change- maybe just getting the balance?
Also I wanted to ask about fruit. Everywhere seems to be giving me mixed messages about it, I was bought up with the message that I should eat it as much as I could (as I always said I hated it anyway!) and so have tried to implement that, but now people are saying that isn't good?

Basically, I want to improve my life and I'm in this mind field of advice, help please? :)

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Meal planning is a good place to start.

Honestly there are no "bad" foods - everything in moderation - switch from your white starchy breads and pastas to whole wheat or multigrain (personally I think they taste better anyway). I actually don't like brown rice but I have some in my cupboard so I mix it half and half with white just to use it up (moderation and a proper portion we tend to overeat these things) and potatoes are not the enemy (we tend to load a baked potato with butter, sour cream, cheese and bacon - try plain greek yogurt and turkey bacon instead). I eat a normal diet and don't eliminate anything.

Fruit is not bad - it may be higher in sugar - but fresh fruit will be a healthy choice over a bag of chips or chocolate bar not to mention the other healthy nutrients fruit contains.

Make ahead meals?

On Sundays roast a chicken, boil some eggs so you have a go to protein
    Soups and stews are pretty healthy you can load them up with the veg you like (I mostly use root veg like carrots, turnip, parsnips and potatoes and add some frozen peas, corn and beans if I have them in my soups and stews)
    You can prep most of your raw veg for salads - I would store them separately in bags or containers
    Roasted veg leftovers are great - I like to make a couple extra portions when I make them
    If you are a planner - I precook the entire package of turkey bacon or sausage so that I have it ready to grab in the morning for a breakfast sandwich or for a bacon and tomato sandwich at lunch time.

Good Luck!
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Fulfill your sweet tooth with whole natural foods, like fruits. When it comes to the refined sweets, it's best to just cut them out of your life completely.

You might gain inspiration from this youtube page; this girl improved her life greatly by eating more fruits and vegetables
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bge-OkyN3E
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Tons of great recipes on this site. One of my favourite healthy feel good foods is sweet potato. I microwave it for six minutes then scoop it into a bowl with some cinnamon and milk. Or quinoa with spaghetti sauce and parmesan. And I second the motion that it's fine to have lots of fruit. Just watch your macros to make sure you are not overdoing the carbs (45-65% of your calories is what is recommended, perhaps lower if you are looking to lose weight).
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I think the easiest answer for this overall question is to follow the guidelines under the "My Plate" website. You can still eat rice and potatoes and bread, just have it as part of a balanced meal. Those foods offer benefits, but you're right, can't make up your whole diet. Rather than making the rice the base of the meal, make rice a portion of the meal.

http://www.choosemyplate.gov/