Weighing food

Options
2»

Replies

• Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I just bought a scale, I don't see me weighing my food for the rest of my life but in the short future i sure do. I need to learn portion control and discipline. it will be a great tool as is this sight and loging your food. all tools to help us meet our goals.
  • olivia_june
    olivia_june Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I bought a $40 digital one from Superstore (President's Choice brand) and I've been using it for 2 or 3 years as of this summer (either 2011 or 2012) and it's still doing great. It's one of the most useful things I've ever bought.

Digital scales are absolutely KEY in losing weight, especially when you are first starting (obviously this is JMO). My old portion sizes were ridiculous. Now they are actually reasonable and I have been steadily losing weight. :)
  • Rawr1978
    Rawr1978 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    It takes some time, but my food scale has been a great purchase. For $25, I can know exactly how much I am eating, and it eliminates "is my body scale broken? I hope so" woes.
    'Course, it also eliminates "oh, that massive plate of fried chicken is only a serving!"
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    I think its good for helping you learn proper portion sizes

I hope that in the future I will easily be able to portion size something pretty accurately without needing the scale (when in maintenance I am hoping for this)
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use it because I am terrible at eyeballing a serving size. When I got my food scale a few weeks ago, I was shocked the difference between my guesstimates and the true size of a serving.
  • l_ashley
    l_ashley Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I use MIRA Glass Digital Kitchen Scale / Food Scale - Blue that I bought on Amazon.com for $25. It is a little pricier than other scales sold on Amazon, but I bought it because it was highly rated. I love it because it is easy to clean, easy to tare, pretty accurate and has 4 different measurements (oz., fluid oz, ml, gram). It is also lightweight. I love it. :happy:
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I love my digital food scale. I got it for $10 at Aldi. I weigh everything.

EVERYTHING.

I've been doing it for a few years now, and I don't intend to stop. When I'm 60, I hope that there's a food scale built into my stovetop and countertop so I can clean even fewer cups/ spoons!

I used to think that I'd use a food scale to train myself to eyeball my food, but I can't estimate portion sizes/ food weights when I'm hungry. My favorite example is dry oatmeal- a serving is 40 grams, or 1/2 cup. When I measured out 1/2 cup, it weighed around 60 or 70 grams! That brings my 'serving' up to 240 calories from 160! Factor in a whole day of that and you can kiss your deficit goodbye. I was disappointed, but it was an eye-opener. I love not having to guess how many calories I'm eating.

Kudos to those who can accurately eyeball their food. I can't do it reliably, so I weigh it.
  • foreverslim1111
    foreverslim1111 Posts: 2,617 Member
    Options
    I hate to tell you this but I am 60+ years old and I am weighing and measuring everything except when I eat out. When I don't, I start to gradually put on the same 10 or 15 lbs that I have had to lose maybe 6 times in my life. Sorry, but if your body likes to put on weight like mine does, you might be weighing your food at 60+ too!
  • lesteidel
    lesteidel Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person.

If you are losing consistently without it, it's a waste of money.

If you find yourself not losing, then you are incorrectly logging and need to buy a scale and use it.

It CAN be done without a food scale.

I have never used one in my life and have lost weight.

But for some people, it is a necessary tool.

(Like me and my using measuring cups as bowls)

To each his own if what you are doing is working.

If what you are doing isn't working, then it's time to change something, and for a lot of people, that's getting a reality check on portions by using a scale to weigh everything they eat.

They are "obsessed" with it, because it's what helped them get the weight off and they want to help you do the same.