Filling but healthy meals?!

Options
One of my biggest struggles is that when I eat a healthy meal, such as a chicken salad, I always find I'm starving a little while after (sometimes straight away!), which leads to me snacking or, sometimes, eating an entirely separate meal! Does anyone have any tips to help stop snacking/binging? And any good ideas for breakfast, lunch and dinner?! I really need something filling that will give me energy too, thanks so much :)

Replies

• Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    If you are hungry shortly after a meal, you didn't get enough. Either not enough calories, enough bulk, or enough nutrients. Try adding a piece of fruit, or two, to the meal. The extra fiber, water and nutrients will help you stay satiated for longer, while adding very few calories.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'd probably starving just with a chicken salad too. You got to make it pretty substantial for it to be filling.
  • ell_v131
    ell_v131 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    healthy meal doesn't have to consist of salad. wholewheat tortilla with avocado and chicken salad with some shredded cheese and veggies is healthy and filling. Any type of meat with quinoa, can be done as a quinoa salad. Wholewheat PBJ, the options are endless. Not all salads are healthy and there is a lot more to healthy food than that. Look through facebook, there are whole groups dedicated to lunch ideas and you get new ones every day!
  • Making_Mae
    Options
    Brilliant, thank you is much! I'll try both your ideas, thank you!
  • prestigio
    prestigio Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Overnight oatmeal breakfast:
    Oatmeal (about 35 gram)
    Greek yoghurt (250 ml)
    Frozen fruit (100g)
    This will provide you little calories, medium volume and is high nutricious
    The evening before you mix all ingredients in a bowl and put it in the fridge.
    On the following morning you take it out, give it another stir and enjoy :D
  • autumnsummersgregory
    Options
    Greek yogurt with granola for breakfast is one of my favorites! I have a banana along with it and by the time I'm halfway done with the yogurt I'm almost completely full (and that's saying something for me).

Also, most grocery stores sell whole wheat flatbread (~90 calories) that you can use to make pizzas, sandwiches, wraps, etc. They are amazing!

If you must snack, I like homemade banana bread. It has a relatively low amount of calories and it's pretty filling!
  • SharonNehring
    SharonNehring Posts: 535 Member
    Options
    I look for protein, fiber and healthy fats to fill me up. I love Mission carb balance tortilla wraps because they have 13gm fiber and 5gm protein per wrap. Fill it with your chicken salad and veggies. I love making one with eggs, cheese and a little mayo for breakfast. Add a cup of milk and I'm set for hours.

I also like the pre-made Sunkist tuna salad pouches, 100cals and lots of protein. I add lettuce and other veggies to the wrap. Yum!
  • Lexandrei
    Lexandrei Posts: 38
    Options
    College student here that runs and weight trains. This sounds gross but is really filling: I mix low-fat cottage cheese, tuna, a bit of black beans and brown rice together if I'm in a hurry.

If you have time to make a stir-fry go to the store and buy a head of cabbage with your other ingredients. Shred half (or even the whole) head and toss it in with your stir-fry. If you're trying to cut carbs this is an easy way to bulk meals while using less rice.

If calories aren't a concern you can make a filling snack by spreading PB on a whole wheat tortilla, rolling up a banana in it and slicing it into bite-sized portions.

Try to binge on low calories foods such as vegetables or air-popped popcorn.