Gaining weight with food allergies

Options
Hey everyone,
I'm a 31 year old pescatarian man struggling to gain weight. I have multiple food allergies, which are making it really hard to bulk. To give you an idea of my allergies, I'm allergic to: bananas (anaphylactic), nuts (all), sesame seeds, gluten, and lactose.
I find myself often meeting or going over my daily calorie goals, but my macros are a lot harder.
Does anyone have any advice? I'm literally just eating whatever I'm able to at this point. I seriously need help here.

Replies

• firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Try adding these foods to your diet:
    Salmon! [so much calories and protein]
    Chicken, turkey, Avacado, mango, squash, quinoa, corn, peas
  • greenmeena
    greenmeena Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Fat! Fat is so good for you, and definitely helps with calories and energy. If you're not allergic to coconuts, go for coconut oil, or olive oil, yum!
  • rww59
    rww59 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Try dry beans.
    I cook 3 1/2 cups and eat 1 bowl daily.
  • jebraden
    jebraden Posts: 2
    Options
    If you have a banana allergy like i do you are supposed to stay away from kiwis and avocados too. Just so you know.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Salmon and tuna are more calorific fish choices.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Make an appointment with a dietician...
  • milileitner
    milileitner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,
    I'm a 31 year old pescatarian man struggling to gain weight. I have multiple food allergies, which are making it really hard to bulk. To give you an idea of my allergies, I'm allergic to: bananas (anaphylactic), nuts (all), sesame seeds, gluten, and lactose.
    I find myself often meeting or going over my daily calorie goals, but my macros are a lot harder.
    Does anyone have any advice? I'm literally just eating whatever I'm able to at this point. I seriously need help here.
    I'm really sorry to hear about your allergies. Sounds like a pain in the butt.

Can you eat other kinds of seeds? How about granola, if you find a nut-free variety? Granola is a serious calorie bomb. Try to find seed butters to spread on (gluten free) toast or eat like a condiment. You can find lactose-free alternatives made from soy to open up your food choices, like yoghurts, milks, ice cream etc. Avacados, oily fish and olives are great high nutrient, high calorie foods. Not sure if you are also allergic to coconut but that's a winner too. Check out vegan protein shakes for an easier way to hit that macro target.

Ultimately, gaining weight is about the number of calories in vs out. Hitting protein and fat minimums is important for muscle growth and overall health, but you should be able to achieve those with a normal, balanced diet. The rest of your calories can really be whatever you want.