Milk, Almond milk, or Coconut milk? What do you prefer?

Options
I just started using almond milk within the last week. My stepdaughter and her mom use it at home and she requested it here. She and her dad are lactose intolerant so it seems like a good option from milk, and I like that its low calorie as well.

What does everyone here use? Is coconut milk better, worse, or the same as almond milk?

I will say this for unsweetened almond milk, its yuck and the sweet is too sweet. lol I have to cut 1/4 of the sweet version with the unsweet to make it work for me and taste good in my morning cereal.

Replies

• F1GHT4F1T
    F1GHT4F1T Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I'm a fan of Silk Light's Soy milk, I buy both the original and vanilla! neither have disappointed me
  • Kenazwa
    Kenazwa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    To tell you the truth, I don't like any of it. I use almond milk for cereal, which I don't eat often; that's about it.
  • maroonmango211
    maroonmango211 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I recently found almond milk while having to cut out dairy while nursing my youngest and I must say I fell in love. I never was a huge fan of milk to begin with but used it a lot in cooking/baking. Now I have a glass of almond milk on occasion all by itself and still use it regularly in recipes. I especially love it being higher in calcium and of course how it is lower in calories so I don't have to feel guilty having a sugar free chai latte once in a while.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    I recently found almond milk while having to cut out dairy while nursing my youngest and I must say I fell in love. I never was a huge fan of milk to begin with but used it a lot in cooking/baking. Now I have a glass of almond milk on occasion all by itself and still use it regularly in recipes. I especially love it being higher in calcium and of course how it is lower in calories so I don't have to feel guilty having a sugar free chai latte once in a while.
    I am with Kenazwa on this right now. I mostly use it in my cereal, but my sister says I will like drinking it after awhile. I am excited to try it now, even though she insisted a few years ago that I try it. lol
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I love unsweetened vanilla almond milk. Almond Breeze also has an almond milk coconut milk blend that is amazing. Creamier with a richer flavor. That one I have only seen at a few stores that I rarely shop at though so I don't get it as often.
  • ghosthackexe
    ghosthackexe Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Absolutely love Almond Milk has been great to use while I'm on this new diet. it helps a lot i use it with my post workout shake instead of regular milk same taste but no carbs/sugars to throw me off my weight goal would def recommend it to everyone
  • seilidhe
    seilidhe Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I use the combo almond/coconut milk on my cereal. Haven't quite got to the point of drinking it. For that I really do prefer regular milk. And I agree that the sweetened is too sweet, but I don't like the way the unsweetened tastes. I may have to try mixing the two.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I don't use any milk. I'm allergic to cow's milk and soy and so I just didn't drink anything. I don't eat cereal.

I have tried coconut *water* (not milk, I don't know what coconut milk is) and as a drink by itself to aid in rehydration after a workout, like regular water, coconut water is pretty good.
  • StephyA86
    StephyA86 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Almond Breeze unsweetened vanilla almond milk is pretty tasty, in my opinion. I think it takes a little while to get used to, but I haven't had cow's milk in about a year and I don't miss it! :) (Also, almond milk is super tasty in smoothies!)
  • toronto_j
    toronto_j Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I only really like drinking regular milk straight. Almond milk is great in smoothies and brings the calories down a bit. Coconut milk I only use for cooking. And I have some kind of sensitivity to soy milk.
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I like milk. But there is mounting evidence against dairy milk. And soy was good for you then bad for you then good for you again unless you're a woman in which case it might still be bad for you. So I hedge my bets. I drink non-fat dairy in the morning, almond or coconut milk in the afternoon, and soy milk for dinner. I like them all.
  • iifym_girl
    iifym_girl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm a big fan of Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla or Plain almond milk and it's only 30 cals per serving. I usually mix it in with my protein shakes or use it in my recipes.. It's a great subsitute.
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Coconut, Trader Joe's unsweetened to be more specific.
    Can't drink the other kinds without paying for it after.
  • LassVegas
    LassVegas Posts: 35
    Options
    I love regular milk (skim), but I had cereal with unsweetened almond milk recently, and when I got to the bottom of the bowl I suddenly realized that I had completely forgotten that it was not the usual. So now I'm a huge almond milk fan. It's really got it going on nutritionally, in my opinion.
  • LINIA
    LINIA Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    Well here goes....i'm very allergic to coconut (body goes into an anaphylactic episode) milk and almond milk--am also lactose intolerant.
    Usually i go with Silk Soy Milk with the Omega's added, this helps out because w/o eating fish, salmon etc, it is difficult to get the much needed Omegas.
    Have tried flax seed milk and it is just ok....usually i just avoid milk ????????????????????.

(The Lactaid pills come in handy for eating ice cream)
  • enchantedgardener
    enchantedgardener Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    My preference is low-fat milk. I put it in my coffee and use it to make homemade yogurt (which I eat every day). I love the taste of almond milk, but I prefer regular milk because it contains much more protein. Never tried coconut milk.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I prefer whole milk. I do like almond milk and use it when I want a lower calorie substitute or just a different taste. :)
  • firefoxxie
    firefoxxie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love vanilla coconut milk. I was not a fan of almond milk at all, soy milk tastes really good but isn't that good for me.
  • arwacky
    arwacky Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I'm using milk and almond milk but a lot of recipes I found call for coconut milk so I might have to try that.