incredibly impatient...help

Options
I have been whining around for a couple weeks. I have tried to stay positive. I have TDEE set at a 20-22% deficit, lower carbs. I lift 3-4x a week. Added in walking 3-4 times a week. Lost a lb and gained 2 back. It is not a race, I understand that, but geez.

No inches lost. In fact gained some in my calves and biceps. Vaguely see an oblique and my legs are not so jiggly. Ok. Thats great. Things are what would appear to be tightening up, yet clothes still fit the same.

Been at it for 2 months. Lifting heavier for 2 weeks.

I know everyone says girls don't bulk. But is there any outside chance of it happening? I don't mind other than I don't want to weigh this much. (233). My calves and biceps are growing but fats not going away. What gives???

Replies

• RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Are you using a food scale?
  • amethyst70
    Options
    Ugh. No food scale, but generally round up. If I eat veggies at 3/4 cuo I round up to a cup and also think my TDEE is a lil low. I know, I know buy a food scale but the pessimist in me says I am just goung to try that avenue and its not going to work either. Part of me says to just chuck it all, eat what I want and compete in strongest woman contest because apparently being at a nice appealing weight & shape just isn't going to happen.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    weigh and measure everything - some of your meals seem kind of high - did you really have a whole cup of eggs for breakfast? Thats like 8 whites so I am guessing it's like 6 eggs?

make sure you are logging accurately

drink lots of water

what is your goal? Is there a reason you are doing the TDEE method? Maybe you should switch it and let MFP do your calculations for you until you get a handle on regular logging and portions.

It takes a really long time for a woman to gain enough muscle to show "bulk"
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Read the links in the previous post.

If you're not weighing all solid foods & measuring all liquids - start today.

There is no help for impatience. I have been here for 683 days (new account). I've lost a lot of pounds & inches. But it took the 21 months to do that. 2 weeks on a plan - whether eating or lifting - is not enough time to have any big changes.
  • amethyst70
    Options
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    Ugh. No food scale, but generally round up. If I eat veggies at 3/4 cuo I round up to a cup and also think my TDEE is a lil low. I know, I know buy a food scale but the pessimist in me says I am just goung to try that avenue and its not going to work either. Part of me says to just chuck it all, eat what I want and compete in strongest woman contest because apparently being at a nice appealing weight & shape just isn't going to happen.

Yes buy a food scale and log everything PROPERLY don't be rounding up anything - you need to know where your calories are coming from.
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I have been whining around for a couple weeks. I have tried to stay positive. I have TDEE set at a 20-22% deficit, lower carbs. I lift 3-4x a week. Added in walking 3-4 times a week. Lost a lb and gained 2 back. It is not a race, I understand that, but geez.

No inches lost. In fact gained some in my calves and biceps. Vaguely see an oblique and my legs are not so jiggly. Ok. Thats great. Things are what would appear to be tightening up, yet clothes still fit the same.

Been at it for 2 months. Lifting heavier for 2 weeks.

I know everyone says girls don't bulk. But is there any outside chance of it happening? I don't mind other than I don't want to weigh this much. (233). My calves and biceps are growing but fats not going away. What gives???

Girls don't bulk... like Arnold Schwarzenegger. But girls do gain muscle! I was listening to the fit cast (great podcast) and they pointed out that some people think that Jessica Alba is bulky. If you think she is bulky then you can "bulk" if you think she looks fit, that is what lifting heavy eating right etc etc does.

So you can "bulk" if Jessica Alba looks bulky to you. You can't bulk if Arnold is bulky to you.

Also, what everyone else said, BUY A FOOD SCALE!! I didn't believe them at first either, but it helps!! there is a video about overestimating food with measuring spoons and that was what sold me on buying one!

What is (probably) happening:

1. You are gaining muscle "noobie gains" as they're called
    2. You are eating more than you think by not measuring
  • amethyst70
    Options

There is no help for impatience. I have been here for 683 days (new account). I've lost a lot of pounds & inches. But it took the 21 months to do that. 2 weeks on a plan - whether eating or lifting - is not enough time to have any big changes.

Yes, I get that. Just very frustrating to actually start in January expecting to meet a goal of losing 50lbs or at least look like it by June and then realize after a month of no change that it is definitely not going to happen.
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options

Right.. I just glanced back through your diary and you seem to love peanut butter. That alone, with any inaccuracies, could totally throw your calories in the surplus. Add in other little things here and there and you should be able to see where you're going wrong. As far as the peanut butter.. If you lick the spoon.. (don't we all?) ... set the jar on the scale, turn the scale on. It will read zero. Scoop your peanut butter out and the negative number will tell you how much you have so you're accurate on the amount you're eating. Sometimes it's easier to weigh in reverse. Other times, it's better to put your plate on the scale and go that direction. Find a method that works for you and log Everything.. every gram of butter, oil, milk, cheese and nuts.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Yes, I get that. Just very frustrating to actually start in January expecting to meet a goal of losing 50lbs or at least look like it by June and then realize after a month of no change that it is definitely not going to happen.

Then you have 2 choices. Keep working hard and I guarantee you will not be where you are today, in June. Or you can give up and look exactly like you do today, in June. I'm pretty sure you're doing this for reasons other than something in June. This is so the rest of your life you will be healthy. Keep looking at it like that.

Start making lists each month of things that have changed: the steering wheel is further from me, I can carry the groceries in from the car without dying, I can walk up stairs, I have more energy, etc. If you put your focus on health goals and away from the scale, you will be much happier.
  • serindipte
    Options
    Just very frustrating to actually start in January expecting to meet a goal of losing 50lbs or at least look like it by June and then realize after a month of no change that it is definitely not going to happen.

Sure it could! You've already lost 17. You have 11 weeks to go before June. IF you keep your calories accurate and create a deficit of 1000ish calories per day, you could easily lose 20ish pounds between now and the start of June. It may not be exactly two pounds a week but, over all, it will average that. 37 may not be 50 but it is SO close..

Track your food. Don't starve yourself. Eat back about half of your exercise calories. Lose weight and feel great. :)
  • AbsolutelyAnnie
    AbsolutelyAnnie Posts: 2,695 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Everything above.

Weigh and measure all your food. All of it. And make sure you are getting enough water. The formula I have seen and have been using is to take your weight, divide it by HALF and that is the total number of ounces you should be drinking every day.

Use the food diary and log in everything you eat. I almost always pre-log my food for the day or even a couple of days in advance. I really helps me to stay on track.

Tracking your calorie burns is also helpful, though I hear that the MFP calculation for burns tend to be overly optimistic.

Gather some MFP friends. I am sending you a request. The encouragement, support, advice, and truth telling has been phenomenal. This single factor has been crucial to my experience this time around.

Best of luck to you.
  • amethyst70
    Options
    Just very frustrating to actually start in January expecting to meet a goal of losing 50lbs or at least look like it by June and then realize after a month of no change that it is definitely not going to happen.

Sure it could! You've already lost 17. You have 11 weeks to go before June. IF you keep your calories accurate and create a deficit of 1000ish calories per day, you could easily lose 20ish pounds between now and the start of June. It may not be exactly two pounds a week but, over all, it will average that. 37 may not be 50 but it is SO close..

Track your food. Don't starve yourself. Eat back about half of your exercise calories. Lose weight and feel great. :)

Now see. That sounds great. And maybe I should be at 1000 calorie deficit IDK. I stalled at 1200 calories. So I read and figured my TDEE which was higher. Did that. Lost a lb. Gained back 2. So maybe I should drop to 1309-1400 calories a day and weigh everything
  • serindipte
    Options

Now see. That sounds great. And maybe I should be at 1000 calorie deficit IDK. I stalled at 1200 calories. So I read and figured my TDEE which was higher. Did that. Lost a lb. Gained back 2. So maybe I should drop to 1309-1400 calories a day and weigh everything

I don't know your height/weight but it looks like you and I are at about the same place in our weight loss. I have my daily goal set to 1460. I very, very rarely go over and haven't gone over 1600 ever. I make sure that I work out to burn up anything I do go over and I've been steadily losing. It isn't fast, but fast isn't good anyway. It's been steady and I won't ask for more than that.
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    No matter what anyone else says; I know that there IS a difference in my appearance between 165 pounds of flab and me at 165 pounds of muscle (and flab-since 165 is still in the overweight range for me).

There are so many factors to consider;
    First of all, you must adopt an attitude that it doesn't matter how long it takes; you will be determined to lose your excess fat. That maybe mean trying different things, mixing it up, changing things, working harder, whatever it takes but you WILL win this battle! That's where it starts.

Secondly, we see the fat on the outside where the clothes fit but we don't see the fact that is around our organs; around our hearts, livers, etc. That fat needs to be list but won't show up in the clothes; it will show up with breathing easier and feeling better.

Thirdly, adding more cardio workouts will burn more fat. Lifting is awesome but it's more for the muscles the fat burning.

Fourth, you have a thyroid issue, as do I, so make sure you are getting your numbers checked.

You can do this! It's way too early to see significant changes yet.

There will be a day, someday, when you won't have to have such a large deficit, someday, you will be able to eat a little more but for a while, you need to tap into your fat reserves in order to burn them off. You need to pay attention to what works in order to learn how to maintain once you no longer need to run a deficit.

Hang in there. :happy:
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Your not going to bulk up eating at a calorie deficit.
    And things take time!! Clearly that's not the answer you want to hear, but its true.