Chia Seeds

Options
Hi! I bought a bag of chia seeds last night. I am new to the chia seed world. What are some things that anyone here has done with it??

Replies

• jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    You can sprinkle them on just about anything. I eat them along with flax seeds in my morning protein smoothies.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    You can sprinkle them on just about anything. I eat them along with flax seeds in my morning protein smoothies.

Ditto - smoothies, oatmeal, bake in muffins or bread or let them sit in milk and get almost a pudding constancy and add fruit.
  • Sunbrooke
    Sunbrooke Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    We like Chia Pudding. Google it for lots of variations, even chocolate!

I used to add them to my water bottle in the morning, when I worked. They gave me a little extra energy and helped to quel morning munches.
  • alfiedn
    alfiedn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Chia seed pudding, add them to overnight oats, smoothies, add them to juices (you see this at some health food stores...especially with kombucha, but I don't love that personally).
  • LassVegas
    LassVegas Posts: 35
    Options
    I threw them in some Greek yogurt and seriously dug the flavor. They do expand quickly when they get wet! And keep some floss nearby!
  • scrapperde
    Options
    if you soak them in almond milk they are soft you don't even know they are there. I put them in oatmeal and smoothies.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I sprinkle them on oatmeal and yoghurt.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    Smoothies all the way!
  • letmerun
    letmerun Posts: 15
    Options
    I let them soak in some juice so they expand and become slimey, then drink them up. Make me full, good vor vegans.
  • jktefft
    jktefft Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I make overnight refrigerator oatmeal with them :)
  • Mojoman02
    Mojoman02 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I've put them on yogurt and oatmeal.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Ditto the chia pudding! I sprinkle them on cottage cheese and add to my yogurt too.
  • OverDoIt
    OverDoIt Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    CHACHACHACHACHA CHIA !!!
  • Jamr8231
    Jamr8231 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Throw 'em on salads and mix into fruit salad with milk.

If you're looking for something to up your omega 3, I'd look elsewhere.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I bought some a while back. I tried them in a raw jam recipe (decent but goes bad quickly) and in oats and in smoothie. I finally gave up and gave the rest of them to my trash can. To me, they really are awful and I can't stand 'em.
  • ktsmom430
    ktsmom430 Posts: 1,100 Member
    Options
    You can pretty much mix them in with anything.

I put them in my yogurt, steel cut oatmeal, in my salads, on top of my baked sweet potato, on top of poached eggs.

The possibilities are endless.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    I bought whole seeds then discovered there were crushed ones. Can i eat them whole, or do i need to crush them first?
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    There's no need to crush or grind them first. It's flax seeds that need to be pre-ground to properly digest the nutrients.
  • erialcelyob
    erialcelyob Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I mixed them in with my tuna :)
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Another overnight oats person.