Eating foods in a certain order?

Options
I've heard that if you eat foods in the "wrong" order that it can ferment and disrupt proper digestion and make you bloat? Anyone have any personal experience/information about this?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Yeah, this is pretty much BS. Your body just breaks down food to it's simplest form and digests it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Yeah....ummm no.

and actually, if your food were to ferment post consumption, it would actually benefit your digestion as fermentation aids in digestion and creates probiotic bacterias. Fermented foods like sauerkraut (un-pasturized) are very good for the gut.
  • jess1992uga
    jess1992uga Posts: 603 Member
    Options
    I struggled with the same behavior in anorexia and it may sound crazy but it took committing myself to eat things out of order and deal with the panic that improved it.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Male Bovine Feces. Nope, don't matter any at all.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    A lot of water too close to bedtime disrupts my sleep.
    Damn that Dasani!!!
  • speedy740
    speedy740 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Yes, read this: Makes sense. I'm now following it. http://drbass.com/sequential.html Or Google Dr. Bass food combining.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    wow this is a new one...can't say I'm surprised tho...

Do I believe it...heck no...
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    Another quick trick that will just delay the inevitable. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. That's it.
  • lemur_lady
    lemur_lady Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I really doubt it. Once you have eaten everything it all gets mixed up and churned about in your tummy anyway, like being in a washing machine. The things you eat first wont necessarily be the first things to move along your digestive system.
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Eat in the order which you enjoy best. The stress caused by worrying about the order is worse in your body than the actual order of the food. Enjoying life has greater overall health benefits.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    Most whole foods contain 2 or more macronutrients, so it's pretty much impossible to eat them separately.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    If it's true, then we'd better get in a time machine and go back in time to warn all the Homo erectus people that if they don't eat their foods in the right order, then bad things are going to happen in their stomach.... otherwise they might all die and we might not evolve.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    wow this is a new one...can't say I'm surprised tho...

Do I believe it...heck no...

I heard this one a couple of decades ago. It was all the rage for a while, the theory was that various physical and mental illnesses were caused by eating protein foods and carbohydrate foods at the same time, and that they should be eaten separately, because the digestive system can't handle digesting two things at once. No idea how we managed to evolve with that going on, if it were true....
  • KyleB65
    KyleB65 Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I think that this is likely some version of an urban myth.

However, I think there is a lot to the notion of when and what you eat in relationship to your exercise regime.

ie Complex carbs before a long run and protein after a big/heavy weights workout.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    Yes, read this: Makes sense. I'm now following it. http://drbass.com/sequential.html Or Google Dr. Bass food combining.
    I'd like to see a peer reviewed study on "layering" of food ingestion and if what Dr. Bass actually purports is factual. From studying physiology and digestion in general, all of his theory is nothing more than a strategic way to sell books.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • David_AUS
    David_AUS Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Oh that would mean also that pies, soups and dim sims would be bad for digestion.