Tuna Pancake with a twist

Mindful_Trent
Mindful_Trent Posts: 3,954 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
So I LOVE tuna pancakes - mixing canned tuna (drained) with some egg white and then cooking it like a pancake. Sometimes I add things like green onion, garlic, artichoke, etc., but not always.

Today I decided to try something new:

~5oz of drained canned tuna (normally I'd use a 5oz can, but we only had 7 oz. cans - I tried to use about 2/3 of it).
1/2 cup egg whites (I buy egg-white only product - "All White" or a store-brand alternative)
2 Tbsp of nutritional yeast (available at most health/whole food stores - it's yellowish and usually comes in the form of flakes)

[ Edited to add: I topped my cooked pancake with a tablespoon of mayo (made with olive oil) - it needs some kind of topping for most people, because it is a bit dry/dense. I think salsa would be a good low-calorie topping. :smile: ]

Many people have never heard of Nutritional yeast - it's basically a deactivated yeast (so it doesn't make things rise) that has a very rich flavor -some call it meaty or cheesy. It's kind of a tangy, savory flavor to me. Many vegans use it to create cheese-sauce alternatives. Apparently it's also a good topping on popcorn!

Anyways, adding the yeast really made it into more of a pancake consistency (once cooked) - a little spongy. It held together MUCH better than when I just use egg whites. The yeast also has the bonus of adding a good balance of protein, fat and carbs - 2 Tbsp is 54 calories, 6g carbs, 4g fat and 7g protein, plus 4g of fiber!

All together my pancake was 240 calories, 8g carbs, 6g fat, 46g protein, 4g fiber and 733mg sodium. A little high in sodium, but since my diet in general is very low in sodium, I can afford one higher meal every day.

I'm going to be exploring more uses for nutritional yeast...originally I bought it for a specific recipe. I encourage everyone to try new things in the world of food - you never know when you'll make a fantastic discovery!

Replies

• zumbalori
    zumbalori Posts: 21 Member
    That sounds yummy! My mom used to make them with salmon when we were kids.
  • FunkBunny
    FunkBunny Posts: 417 Member
    I am so stealiong this and putting it on a 100 calorie sandwich thin tomorrow! Thanks, Boi!
  • Sounds wonderful! Thank you for the idea!

I will have to steal it ;)
This discussion has been closed.