I need protien suggestion for a vegatarian??

Options
Ok I keep going below on my protein. I have been having re fried beans in my salad and black beans as well. I also it an egg daily. I'm fining it hard to get protein with out getting sugar or fat. Thanks Mary

Replies

• tater8589
    Options
    You may look for a soy protien shake. Or try some other beans and legumes. hmm.. I'm not a fan, but many people like tofu. Good luck
  • Squash97
    Options
    Lowfat cottage cheese is great. I really like Atkins Protien bars. You get about 200 calories, only 1g of sugar, and it has about 17g of protien. I tend to have those as a snack between meals. Also, nuts - you can spread peanut butter on crackers, or eat some almonds. Good luck!
  • qwertybird
    qwertybird Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hunt down a good "complete protein bread" in your local natural food coop. Also, try some Greek Style yogurt - delish! Add some raw almonds or walnuts in there too. Of course there is seitan (only if you can handle wheat gluten) and good ole tofu.
  • Topbobdog
    Topbobdog Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    i drink a whey protein shake for breakfast it boosts my energy and gives a good amount of protein just make sure if you get a shake that its not for "MASS" I mix mine with Rice milk or soy milk usually also the chocolate flavored ones are amazing its like your treating yourself to chocolate only its healthy!
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Soy is nice for protein but definitely high fat. Kashi Go Lean Original (I know, broken record here), all types of beans, certainly the fat free dairy and egg whites (assuming you are octo-lavo here, and you can sneak egg whites into almost anything), quinoa, mushrooms (I know! Who'd a thought?). Hope that helps. Good luck!
  • jwd28
    jwd28 Posts: 765
    Options
    It is very hard, as a vegetarian, to get enough protein. Do you eat any "meatless" products? My favorite brand is Morning Star Farms. They've got a lot of tasty stuff. Here's their website if you're interested...

http://www.morningstarfarms.com/

Some other ideas...

Lentils
    Tofu
    Soy beans
    Cottage Cheese
    Milk
    Soy Milk
    Whole grain breads
    Brown rice
    Also, you can try peanutbutter, nuts, sunflower seeds (and other seeds) - I know those are high in fat so that makes it hard.

Some high(er) protein vegetables are:

Asparagus
    Corn
    Peas
    Potato (with skin = more protein)
    Spinach

Best of luck to you!
  • johnnya2
    Options
    I have plenty of protein from eating tofu and soy in different recipes. I am on the road a lot during lunch, and get a protein bar quite frequently. If it is a true issue, buy a protein shale powder and be done with it. I also think the RDA or protein is way too high.
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    Yogurt, if you still eat dairy. Greek yogurt is high in protein and has pretty much no fat.
    Also, try some hummus with vegetables. I LOVE hummus.
    BOCA Vegan burgers are delicious, or you could make your own (look up Textured Vegetable Protein and how to make burgers).
    I was a fan of making vegetarian tacos with fake ground beef. It's low fat and high protein.

Protein is in pretty much EVERYTHING, so it's not hard. I was a vegetarian for 6 years.
  • maryrshstattoo
    maryrshstattoo Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks these are good suggestion. I'm not a fan of nuts, or yogurt. But I can do baby spinach in my salads, Protein bar hmmm I'd rather eat a large portion of spinach with less calories then get 200 calories in something that won't fill me up. Tofu the only way I have had this is fried and I hate fried foods so I have stayed away from it. :-( Thanks I'll keep searching for what I like.
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    I'm a pescetarian. So I still eat eggs fish and some dairy.
    I have a protein shake every morning. I rotate between a couple different vegan protein powders. Most of my protein comes from fish, eggs & protein powder.
  • aar3
    aar3 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    black eye peas, lentils, rice protein powder, nonfat plain greek yogurt( I like ZOI). Hope this helps. Good luck!!!
  • BunnyDVP
    BunnyDVP Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Tyr UNJURY. It as a website UNJURY.COM. Also there is a web site for bariatric that has a list of vegetables that have protein and tips for vegetarians. Sorry I can't remember the website but try bariatric and go from there.:embarassed:
  • tater8589
    Options
    I'm not sure how hardcore vegatarian you are, thats why i suggested soy protien, but if your ok with milk products then whey protien is easier to find and lil less expensive.
  • SugarDiva
    SugarDiva Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Nutritional Yeast Flake is good too. It doesn't have much of a taste so you can hide it in recipes to bump up the protien and sprinkle some on popcorn too. It kinda has a cheesy flavor when it's on the popcorn. :happy:
  • marulm
    marulm Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have never been a fan of yogurt, but now I use non-fat Greek yogurt almost daily. It makes a good sour cream substitute, as the base for a salad dressing, (just add some seasoning like McCormick's Grill Mates for Vegetables), make a smoothie with frozen blueberries. Since I use it a lot, I learned to make my own from the Salad In A Jar website, much cheaper than buying.
  • mtizy
    mtizy Posts: 38
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, but I eat dairy and stuff like that so that's a good way to get a lot protein. I'm sure everyone already said this, but nuts, yogurt, cheese, eggs are all good ways to get protein. That's funny because I always go over my proteins, so I can't really say I've had the same problem. Also, whole grains usually have some protein in it too, so if you add some more of those in you could probably make it work. I don't know if you eat fish or any kind of seafood, but also, great way to get more protein.
  • malpal0111
    malpal0111 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    bumping for later! Great list!
  • CakeFit21
    CakeFit21 Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    QUINOA!!!

It's a grain that is also a complete protein! Yum!
  • amber42274
    amber42274 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Many sprouted breads are a complete protein. I am finding out that with lots of veggies I am getting a good source of protein from them too. I like veg. baked beans they are a yummy way to get both a sweetness and protein!