RANT OVER UNHEALTHY PEOPLE JUDGING YOU

Options

Replies

• spicegeek
    spicegeek Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Why even stand and listen to people like that ? Walk away or just start making judgements on their unhealthy life style

Personally I do not talk to most people about my training or eating habits unless they are people that have similar interests
  • imjolly
    imjolly Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is annoying. I am constantly being told by friends and family that counting calories is stupid or a waste of time or that I am obsessed with logging in all my calories. I'm not sure why people care since I am not bothering anyone nor am I pushing anyone to eat better and be more accountable for what they eat. To each his own. Just don't complain to me about your weight if you are not going to do anything about it.
    When people ask me if I'm going to log something in I always say, yes it is what I do. I am a MFP lifer.

Don't let anyone get under your skin about it. Just smile.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else get FURIOUS at people who judge you for eating healthy??? And watching what you eat?? Or tell you that you're "too obsessive" over exercise and eating healthy and should "enjoy your life??"" I'm like BACK UP, I take pride in my work in the gym and kitchen and DO ENJOY EATING HEALTHY. Sorry I don't want fries with that???!?!

Like today I was told running long distances was terrible for you and I would have to have knee surgery and leg surgery when I got older and was basically belittled because I like running ten miles instead of being told, "Wow look at you go!" Like excuse me people, I love love LOVE being healthy and no I may not eat the entire serving of cake that is put on my plate, but that means I'm "too obsessive" and "worry about my weight too much" ?!?!?!?

People can just piss you off, ya know?

step back a second...

what exactly is "eating healthy" and why do you think that the foods you choose to eat give you a position of moral superiority over the foods that others choose to eat? food is just fuel. if you're getting enough nutritional value from your food choices, then fries can be a regular part of your diet.

of course, the foods you choose to eat are your business and nobody should be giving you a hard time so long as your diet is giving you the nutrients that you need. however, if you are disgusted when you see somebody else eating fries and you think that person is necessarily "unhealthy", then you're in the wrong too. that doesn't mean you're a bad person. it just means that you may be misinformed about the true nature of food and how your body uses it. your body doesn't care whether it gets what it needs from a diet that includes only so-called "healthy" foods or one that also includes so-called "unhealthy" foods. it simply goes to work breaking them down and extracting what it needs from them.

well put, Brainy.

We all make choices about judging each other without being fully informed. OP, it might upset you when people come across as judgmental about your your workouts or eating choices, and that's not necessarily okay. But some of what you say about how you eat comes across as judgmental about how others eat. The same could be said about the working out.

Everyone you meet has a story you don't know about . so first thing, Always, be kind.

Okay first off I did not say that I judge unhealthy people and I don't eat unhealthy foods. I have my indulgence as well. If I want it, I'm gonna eat it, but it will be in moderation. I don't care what others do and no I don't look at other people and go, "ew how can you eat that?" I do my own thing. But I don't think I should get lectured at that the fact that I do try to choose healthier options for foods or for wanting to work out 6 days a week. And that's what happens to me. I get lectured. And belittled. I don't rub it in anyones face that I eat healthy or even bring up topics about weight loss, exercise, healthy eating, but everyone else brings it up.

then maybe you need to rethink the people you have around you and the conversations you are taking part in. Sometimes you just need to walk away.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Life is too short to let people like that get you wound up. They are obvious idiots, so who cares what they think? :laugh:
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Yes, it is annoying. I am constantly being told by friends and family that counting calories is stupid or a waste of time or that I am obsessed with logging in all my calories. I'm not sure why people care since I am not bothering anyone nor am I pushing anyone to eat better and be more accountable for what they eat. To each his own. Just don't complain to me about your weight if you are not going to do anything about it.
    When people ask me if I'm going to log something in I always say, yes it is what I do. I am a MFP lifer.

Don't let anyone get under your skin about it. Just smile.

THIS THANK YOU SO MUCH. They ask me, "how many calories was in that? We all know you know how fattening it was." They get so sarcastic and mock me about it just because they know I look at the calories. It just irritates me because no i am not bothering anyone and just like you, I'm not pushing anyone to eat healthier or be like me. I would never do that. I'm happy with what I do, and if others are happy with what they do, that's fine too
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    What I can't stand is when someone comments on my weight loss, says they want to loss weight, so I tell them what I did to loss weight, and then they start talking about some other technique they heard helps you to lose weight.

Especially when this conversation has happened with the same person several times.

Seriously?

Either take my advice, or shut up about weight loss.

And yeah, I used to not talk to anyone about what I am doing, but recently everyone has been commenting on my weight loss. I can't hide that I am being healthier anymore!

Unless someone specifically asks me how I do what I do, I keep my mouth shut.
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I'm also tired of hearing ppl say to "not listen" "ignore them" ...blah blah blah...sometimes we just can't.....
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Huh. I've never had anyone give me a hard time about what I'm doing. Not sure why. I mean, at this point I've been in maintenance for a long time so people sometimes forget I ever had a weight problem. But even when it was new no one hassled me about it.

I have had a few people ask me what I did and then either a.) look disappointed or b.) go ahead and do Plexus Slim or HCG or whatever. It's slightly irritating but everyone has to find their own way, or not.
  • ginnybrock
    ginnybrock Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Amazing how contagious lifestyle changes can be. I copped the same flack at work, people saying that it's a "health kick" and "wont last"...Now they ask me how i stay so fit and tell me about how they're going to the gym/running/dieting these days..pity they still wolf down KFC at lunch every other day, though
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    Amazing how contagious lifestyle changes can be. I copped the same flack at work, people saying that it's a "health kick" and "wont last"...Now they ask me how i stay so fit and tell me about how they're going to the gym/running/dieting these days..pity they still wolf down KFC at lunch every other day, though

Yes... What a pity. Good thing you're so much better than they are, huh?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

I often wonder, when these rants come up, whether the person ranting might be giving off judgmental vibes without meaning to do so.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

I often wonder, when these rants come up, whether the person ranting might be giving off judgmental vibes without meaning to do so.

Nice observation. Whether intentional or not - all these threads end the same. Judging is judging regardless of the motivation behind it.
  • FitnessLover001
    FitnessLover001 Posts: 188 Member
    Options

It's definitely easy to. Everyone judges without trying. It's human nature. And yeah I may not understand why people work out and then blow it on sonic or kfc, but i don't make a comment about it, but that doesn't stop them from making a comment towards me
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options

It's definitely easy to. Everyone judges without trying. It's human nature. And yeah I may not understand why people work out and then blow it on sonic or kfc, but i don't make a comment about it, but that doesn't stop them from making a comment towards me

If you're willing to investigate further, maybe ask a close friend or someone you trust to be honest with you about whether you seem to be judging others' lifestyles. There may be behaviors that are being misinterpreted by your coworkers/friends and that you could work on so that people won't feel like they need to comment on your choices. Not saying you are, but it's something to consider.

But don't ask unless you're prepared to hear the answer.
  • MireyGal76
    MireyGal76 Posts: 7,334 Member
    Options
    I practice this...

Hahahahahahahaha... Ha... Haha... Oh.. Wait... You're not joking... Oh. *gigglesnort*. I like my life... Thank you very much. And then I walk away.
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I'm with you OP!

When I was a runner, and lived in a very hot climate, people would tell me I'm going to get some sort of lung disease from running in 100+ degree heat. Or heat stroke. That was a good one.

The last place I worked (which caused my weight gain) the bosses there would ALWAYS comment on people's lunches. If you brought your own healthy lunch, they'd ridicule you about not eating enough and tell you you have an eating disorder (this was a medical practice) which was 100% incorrect. One guy was a weight lifter, and he was built, and always ate high protein but VERY healthy meals and I heard one of the doctors ridiculing him and I WENT OFF. Probably not appropriate, but I couldn't believe he was being ridiculed for being healthy while the rest of us were literally OBESE and gorging on chocolate every day they never said a word about it.

So yeah... I'm with you on this one... I don't talk to anyone in RL about my weight loss and I ignore all comments entirely. It's really none of their business either way.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Again, just walk away. It's really not worth arguing over.
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I think we've all been there at some point. Robert Downey Jr. said it best: "Listen, smile, agree, and then do whatever the f**k you were gonna do anyway."

Agreed!