So frustrated!!

Options
So I am getting to the end of my rope with working out. I have never once had a successful weight loss, partially due to an under active thyroid, but I consistently eat well & work out for 45-60 mins at least 4 times per week. I'm also a massage therapist so I am constantly moving at my job and working muscles throughout the day.
My question and concern would be: how do you deal with the spike in hunger after a cardio and weight training session? Also, if I am doing cardio for an hour, I know the machines aren't 100% accurate with calories expended, but what's the significance of doing HIIT training as opposed to an hour at a steady pace with occasional increase in incline or speed? If you're still burning the same amount of calories then who really cares?
Also, any diet or exercise tips would be appreciated. I am so fed up.

Replies

• rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    As I understand it, it goes past just calorie burn and more into strength building. HIIT helps build/maintain muscle AND burns calories. Basically, look at a sprinter's body vs a marathon runner.

Keep measuring your food, be strict about the oz/grams. Be patient. Only eat back about half of your exercise calories. If you are still aren't losing, try dialing back your calories by a small amount (50-100 calories) until you find a spot where you begin losing.

Make sure you have enough protein and fat in your diet, they're filling and keep you full.
  • AmartinF6
    Options
    How long have you been trying to lose weight? When and how often are you weighing in?
    Higher intensity will burn as much or more calories quicker because the body is forced into working harder as a result of your effort. Are you doing the same workout at the same intensity level? Your body will get used to that and go into a sort of cruise control where muscle memory will just take you through the motions. Working out before breakfast (if possible) will use stored energy first which will come from fat stores. Mix it up. Shorter harder sessions with longer less intense ones too.
    Food wise try to eat within 30-60 mins of exercise to better aid your body in recovery. A good easy start is milk. Electrolytes from potassium and sodium plus carbs to replace energy and protein to repair and build muscle. Choc milk, cereal, porridge. All fairly healthy quick and filling.