Losing Weight after Anorexia

Options
Hello all. I am here because I would like to lose some weight. I have been in recovery for Anorexia and have gained about 30 pounds in order for my health and wellness to return. My doctor has given me the clear to now start in a healthy fashion to lose weight and told me my goal should be 1-1.5 pounds per week MAXIMUM and that I shall not go under 1,400 calories a day.

She assigned me to eat 1,600 calories at a light activity level and 1,800 calories at a moderate activity level. I am finding this very hard because I am a wreck with my body, I am unhappy with how I look and how my body looks post-recovery. My clothes, my body, everything is hurting me emotionally.

I talk to a therapist as well btw so please do not think I am irrational and crazy.

I have tried so many times post-recovery to diet but all end in HUGE 4,000 or more calorie binges. It is like I cannot control myself. I have tried 1,200 calories and that caused me to binge for two days in a freaking row!

For activity I ride my stationary bike for 30-60 minutes 3x's a week, lift weights 3x's a week and take my dog for a 4km walk 2-3x's a week.. I groom horses for an hour 1-2x's a week and also hula hoop for 15-20 minutes a few times a week.

But I have this terrible self-doubt and feel the only way I know how to lose weight is through depriving myself and seriously limiting my calorie intake or not eating at all.

I have bought meal replacement powder for me to have a smoothie for breakfast and maybe some oatmeal or toast, for lunch I have a vegan chicken burger, big salad, steamed vegetables and dinner I have a cut of meal like chicken or a small pork steak (!30 calories), another big salad and steamed vegetables. I do not know what to do for snacks I have weight watcher bagels, bread, wraps, flat rolls and 35 calorie per cup yogurt, 40 calorie popsicles, an air pop- popcorn machine, rice cakes and lots of healthy options.

My goal is to lose 10 to 15 pounds by June. But I feel like with me constantly binging, than feeling bad and completely restricting and than repeating this vicious cycle like I will never achieve it :(

Replies

• 19TaraLynn84
    19TaraLynn84 Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry, but from the way you're talking, it doesn't sound like you have completely recovered. Do you mind telling us what your height and weight are?
  • serindipte
    serindipte Posts: 1,557 Member
    Options
    Have you asked your therapist to put you in touch with a nutritionist aware of your particular needs? It may be easier for you if you have someone give you an actual meal plan to follow, at least in the beginning, so you can see and feel what a healthy eating pattern is at the recommended calorie allotment.

You *will* lose weight without depriving yourself if you will follow the plan. It keeps you in a moderate deficit without starving you into binges. Trust the process or, at the very least, give it a chance to show you that it can and will work.
  • misti777
    misti777 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Don't restrict yourself. You are allowed a sweet, or a treat, every now and then. Try to stay out of stressful situation as best you can. I used to eat a few peanut butter and jelly sandwiches a night when I couldn't sleep, but now that I am out of a bad living situation, I can eat one at a time like a normal person. If you don't have the means to get out of bad situation(if you are in one), try to get out more. Just go easy on yourself.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Consult your therapist. It might be a good idea just to practice maintenance (instead of losing) for awhile, just so you can develop a healthier relationship with food. :flowerforyou:
  • Skoster1
    Skoster1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    You are not a bad person if you binge. You are not a bad person if you don't. Your eating does not determine your worth.

I recently went on vacation and ate everything in sight, continuing for a couple days after I got home. It set me back so far that it added months onto my estimated goal. I'm still working off that vacation but I've made peace with it. It was a poor choice, that's all, and I just need to focus on making better choices in the future.

Don't beat yourself up, it's part of life. Own the action and forgive yourself and then go back to a reasonable diet. Don't punish yourself by severe restriction, that just feeds into the cycle.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    Consult your therapist. It might be a good idea just to practice maintenance (instead of losing) for awhile, just so you can develop a healthier relationship with food. :flowerforyou:

This. And as someone else stated, you don't sound like you are really ready for recovery. It is a tough road and you have to be mentally and emotionally prepared for it. Wish you luck!
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    Binging either means you are restricting your body too much and your brain is thus sending out signals to you to eat a lot (sort of a survival thing) or else it's psychological in which case I would definitely not try to diet until you get things figured out.