HELP- I need a 'hearty'/ non 'diet' meal

JoyceJoanne
JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
I have been eating pretty well, lots of fruits, veggies and salads. I'm looking for something that isn't so 'diet' like. My body is craving something hearty. I haven't been eating much of what I call 'bread carbs' ie: bread, rice, potatoes, etc. Or sour cream, butter, mayo, etc. Even though I'm eating tons- (and staying within my calories- mostly) I still feel like I'm missing something....

I'm also looking for something that I can sub for sauces or gravy... I just love these things, I don't want to not eat them, then crave it and make bad choices.

Does anyone have any suggestions and or recipes?
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!

Replies

• gambitsgurl
    gambitsgurl Posts: 632 Member
    I take pork tenderloin and cook it in red wine with onion slices on top. Then I take brown gravy mix (fat free) and make a gravy out of the wine the pork cooked in. Add mushrooms.

Lean, low fat, hearty.

Enjoy.
  • kristinlough
    kristinlough Posts: 828 Member
    I recommend spending a couple hours on Cooking Light's website. I say that because there are TONS of options that are super healthy and hearty - but it's probably best for you to pick out what you like best :wink:

Good luck!
  • hipsgalore
    hipsgalore Posts: 204 Member
    au jus is very light gravy, I use this in place of traditional brown gravy which is heavy and it tastes much like gravy.
  • Are you eating vegetarian or did you neglect to mention meat/fish? That may be the "hearty" part that you're feeling like you're missing, if you're not getting enough protein. If you're going veggie (not necessarily vegan), get some lentils, beans, tofu, eggs and other natural proteins into your meals. Good luck!
  • Try eatingwell.com.....I have made many recipes from this website and my family has loved every one of them. You'll never know that they are lower in calories.
  • arsenal45
    arsenal45 Posts: 211 Member
    Believe it or not, if you're looking for "hearty", there are tons of chili recipes that are both low fat and stick to your ribs!
  • sgp329
    sgp329 Posts: 184
    @ arsenal: I was going to suggest chili as well. I mean, what says "hearty" like a hot bowl of chili?
  • JoyceJoanne
    JoyceJoanne Posts: 760 Member
    Thank you all so much!!! I will deffinately check out the websites mentioned, I'll try the au jus, the porkloin sounds super tasty too. I can do chili, but it's too hot right now... 100+ :-\
    I really appreciate your help!!
    Cheers,
    :drinker:
This discussion has been closed.