Want to start running, where to start?

Options
Okay so the title might sound a little stupid (you run, duh!) but I mean in the sense of - I'm 57kg and look like someone who can run but I'm very unfit. I go for a brisk walk every second day for about 40 minutes but I'm wondering how everyone started out running. Did you start with brisk walking and then running a little or did you run and push yourself to keep going?

Whilst I'm not over weight, I do have a lot of 'lose fat'. You know the kind that you wouldn't know it was there until you start to run or something and you can feel it bouncing around on your butt and thighs. I do pilates but hoping that that going for a run might help bump up the toning up and losing the far in the nasty areas (I know you can spot reduce but you can help those areas out a little more than others).

Any advice as to how you got started and how long it took you would be great!

TIA

Replies

• EarthboundAtlas
    Options
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

And if you want to get an app to track it, I highly recommend the RunDouble app. I went through for time, and then went through it again for distance. As beginning programs go, this one is pretty painless.
  • yesdnil1990
    Options
    There are going to be alot more experienced people on here than me, but in my opinion, start slow. Do too much and you risk injury. Also, finding the right shoe is so important. Go to a running shop and get properly fitted and get proper shoes!
    I started using Zombies, Run! 5k training app which makes it so much more fun. It starts you off slow and gradually gets harder week by week. Oh and stretch! and warm up/cool down!

Good luck!
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    The Couch to 5K program ... sometimes written C25K. It follows a progressive formula to increase running gradually. Many really promote this. Personally, I started with a quarter mile then added another... then went a mile then... gradually increased my time running. Many propose intervals of running and walking... this is similar to the C25K program. Just start and be gradual.
  • asdelmonte
    asdelmonte Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    As others have responded, the Couch to 5k program is great. I started running in my 30's and that was before smart phones and their handy dandy apps existed. I just started by adding periods of running to my walks. I would walk for 10 minutes and then start running the distance to the next telephone pole and then walk again. I just kept adding longer run periods and shorter walk periods until I was running the entire time.

Before you start, you should make sure you are properly fitted for the correct shoe at your local running store. Good running shoes can be $, but if it keeps you from getting injured, it is $ well spent!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Go out of the door put one foot in front of the other.
  • Of_Monsters_and_Meat
    Of_Monsters_and_Meat Posts: 1,022 Member
    Options
    couch 2 5k. Did it 4 years ago, still running.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I also advocate for C25K. It starts you out slow (run 60 seconds, walk 90 seconds) and builds you up over either 8 or 9 weeks, depending on which plan you do. I used the Active app on my phone, but you can also follow the plan with the link provided above & a timer on your watch. I started C25K 10 months ago and am registered to run my first half marathon this summer.
  • LisaP0921
    LisaP0921 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I started out by using the C25K app, but found it really distracting. I realized I'd rather kind of zone out and focus on my breathing or the rhythm of my feet than wait and listen for that voice to tell me when to run or walk.

So I moved to my own system which was pretty much this: start out walking to warm up, run until you feel like you can't possibly run any more, walk until you feel recovered, run again. I'm still new to running too, but I'm working up to a 5k so I make sure I always complete that distance, and try and run more and more of it every time. For me, the key to progress has been to listen to my body. Also, I think it's also key to not worry about speed at first. I was really focused on running at a certain mph on my treadmill, but that burned me out a lot more quickly. It's okay to be slow! As you get stronger, you'll naturally feel more comfortable going faster. Good luck!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is great, but it sounds like you need to do some strength training to me!
  • montoyarenee
    montoyarenee Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I definitely heard great things about Couch 2 5K like very one else has mentioned.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I'm not being snarky, but I honestly just put on shoes and went running. When I ran out of breath, I stopped and walked. Running is probably the simplest form of cardio and I see no reason to complicate it. Sure, there are programs and approaches to increasing your speed and distance and you can use them later. For now, just go run.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. Lots of people use the C25K program to run.

I just got out there and ran until I couldn't run, then I walked, and then I ran again... wash, rinse, repeat. My aim was to get better every time I went out there.

Set a goal. Work towards it.

If you're worried about jiggly fat, you might also want to consider incorporating a progressive resistance / weight routine to your workouts. That will do more difference than just running will.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I used C25K to get started. It's basically a simple program that gets you to run a little bit more each week, until you can run for 30 minutes straight. It helped me a lot.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Everyone has to start somewhere. Lots of people use the C25K program to run.

I just got out there and ran until I couldn't run, then I walked, and then I ran again... wash, rinse, repeat. My aim was to get better every time I went out there.

Set a goal. Work towards it.

If you're worried about jiggly fat, you might also want to consider incorporating a progressive resistance / weight routine to your workouts. That will do more difference than just running will.

This. All of this.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I agree with just getting out there and running. I used to just walk and started adding running one day and didn't look back.

The benefit to using a program like C25K (and I did use this, too) is that I tend to overdo. I learned to build my endurance with this program and then worry about my time/mile. C25K slowed me down a little and gave me the reassurance/structure that I needed not to obsess over not running fast enough (all in MY head).

Most importantly, have fun.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm not being snarky, but I honestly just put on shoes and went running. When I ran out of breath, I stopped and walked.

That's what I used to do as well. The snag I had was that I fairly consistently gave myself an injury after a month to six weeks; too far, too fast or combination thereof.

A structured programme helps to mitigate the risk of getting an injury.

ETA - agree the point about some form of resistance training as complementary both in terms of outcomes and injury prevention. Personally I prefer bodyweight work as its easy to work in around the running.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I'm not being snarky, but I honestly just put on shoes and went running. When I ran out of breath, I stopped and walked. Running is probably the simplest form of cardio and I see no reason to complicate it. Sure, there are programs and approaches to increasing your speed and distance and you can use them later. For now, just go run.

Pretty much what I was thinking - I currently walk 5-6 days per week at about 4 mph and feel like I could add some running or jogging into the mix and figured that rather than let a program dictate when I include it that I could just run when I feel the urge and when I run out of breath convert to walking until I am ready to run again.

Not to negate the benefits of using C25K :drinker:
  • ayamagali
    ayamagali Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Can't remember where I got this, but it's what I'm currently doing. Even though the first several weeks felt too easy (I've been "a runner" before, and on and off for years, so maybe that helped), I'm glad I did them. When I got to the 4:3 intervals I started to struggle and repeated that week to great benefit!

Edit: I use Runkeeper, and it's awesome when I use my hubby's newer phone, but crappy on my ancient iPhone 3GS. Anyways, Runkeeper let's you input interval workouts and repetitions, so you can hear a signal when it's time to walk or run. I love it when I get antsy waiting for the "run" signal.

Running guide

Week one: Walk for six minutes, then jog at an easy pace for one minute. Repeat three times. Aim for three sessions with that same sequence for week one.

Week two: Walk for five minutes, then jog for two minutes. Repeat three times. Aim to do three sessions in week two.

Week three: Walk for three minutes, then jog for four minutes. Repeat four times. Aim for three sessions in week three.

Week four: Walk for two minutes, then jog for five minutes. Repeat four times. Shoot for three of those sessions in week four.

Week five: Walk for two minutes, then jog for eight minutes. Repeat three times. Do three of those sessions in week five.

Week six: Walk for two minutes, then jog for nine minutes. Repeat three times. Try to do three sessions for week six.

Week seven: Walk for one minute, then jog for 11 minutes. Repeat three times. Do three sessions this week.

Week eight: Congratulations on making it to week eight! For your first run this week, try walking for five minutes to begin and end the workout, and run for 20 minutes in between. By the end of the week, try to run for 30 minutes without stopping.

Aim to run for 30 minutes three times a week, and you'll notice that your stamina and fitness will continue to improve. Soon you'll be ready to run your first 5K!
  • redwoodkestrel
    redwoodkestrel Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I'm currently LOVING the Zombies, Run! C25K program. And seriously, I haven't willingly ran in like, 20 years. But so far I've been able to keep up, it really does a good job of easing you into running. And the extra motivation is that you're running from zombies! :happy: