Have you found the secret?

Options
13»

Replies

• gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    In order to lose weight you have to be in a calorie deficit.

In order to know if you're in a calorie deficit, you have to weigh/measure/log your food. (use a food scale)

Exercise is important to health, but not necessary to lose weight. (still, find something you love and do it)

Eat foods you like, make healthy choices along the way, learn portion control/moderation.

Be patient & don't quit.

ETA: Be honest with yourself. That slab of cake is not going to be 150 calories.
  • stofteland
    stofteland Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    How should my meals be spaced out? I have heard several things from 2-3 hours, 4 hours, etc? Any input? Should always have protein, from what I hear.

What are good "low sodium" protein and carb choices? I buy whole grain bread and wraps(100 % Whole wheat), but they seem to be really high in sodium and sugar. I also try to cook more fresh meat and chicken, and not buy the deli meat. The sodium seems to affect my weight loss. I try to buy Ezekiel brand cereals and breads. Looking for other options. Going to the grocery store is frustrating.
  • cerumens
    cerumens Posts: 45 Member
    Options

This! I have tried everything but the answers are in the above links.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    How should my meals be spaced out? I have heard several things from 2-3 hours, 4 hours, etc? Any input? Should always have protein, from what I hear.

What are good "low sodium" protein and carb choices? I buy whole grain bread and wraps(100 % Whole wheat), but they seem to be really high in sodium and sugar. I also try to cook more fresh meat and chicken, and not buy the deli meat. The sodium seems to affect my weight loss. I try to buy Ezekiel brand cereals and breads. Looking for other options. Going to the grocery store is frustrating.

Meal timing is irrelevant. Eat your meals at the times that work for you and so you stay satiated. As far as low sodium, sugar, and carb choices, there is no reason to limit these unless you have a medical issue that makes it necessary.

Work on staying in your calories deficit. Once you can do that easily, then work on meeting your macros (protein, fat, then carbs). Once you can do these two things with no problems - then you can start thinking about things like sodium or sugar.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    there is no secret- the answer is the same for everyone- most people just don't want to do the work.

consistency
    persistence
    diligence with maintaining a calorie deficit.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    The one that let's the lbs. melt away? I mean besides exercise, what do you eat everyday? Just want to know if anyone has this figured out? Maybe feels like they have found the answer? Please don't keep it a secret anymore! Share it w/ me!!:heart:
    That IS the secret. It's what you eat everyday and exercise, mixed with some commitment and perseverance. There is no shortcut.
  • November_Fire
    November_Fire Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    The top secrets are:

1. Exercise gets you fit, but you burn much smaller numbers than you think and eat much bigger ones. Don't think in terms of 'burning off' any binges or bad habits.

2. Don't eat crap - the obvious crap like handfuls of chocolate bars, sweets, donuts etc.

3. Smaller portions. Many people aren't sure what a proper portion should look like and would often accuse one of looking 'far too small'. But you don't have to eat until you're uncomfortably stuffed. The pictures on the fronts of the boxes generally lie about what should be on your plate (although, see point 2: follow that and there'll be no boxes with their pretty pictures tempting you to load up!)

Basically the rule 'eat a bit less and do a bit more' works for everyone, and if it's not working you're eating more than you think (lots more calories in) and doing less than you think (the media would have us believe almost every act burns 'hundreds!' of calories.)
  • mamadon
    mamadon Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Eat what you want in moderation. Don't restrict a food group. Calories in vs calories out.
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    My only secret is tracking what you eat and exercising. As long as you are coming in under goal most days, you will lose. But it is ok to have a day here and there that you go over. You can't deprive yourself from living. So if you have a Friday night where you go over a bit, just take the next day and work a little harder.

Everything evens out.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    1. Log your food as accurately and honestly as possible - If it goes in your mouth it gets logged good, bad and the ugly. While you are starting just worry about the calorie number once you get good at logging then start looking at protein, carbs and fat. Keep it Simple. If you don't have a medical condition that you have to monitor your sugar intake don't even bother tracking it.

2. Get a digital food scale they are very inexpensive and probably my greatest investment. This will help you learn portion control, which helps with being able to eat in moderation.

3. Understand that this takes time, so being patient is good!

4. Understand that weight will fluctuate all the time, don't let your emotions get tied into the number on the scale, the scale is just one of many tools you will use to gauge your progress. My favorite ways to track progress: Fitness Goals, Progress Pics, Measurements, how my clothes fit, and most importantly how do I feel.

5. Strive for consistency over perfection, if you make 80% good choices the other 20% don't make too much of a difference.

6. Remember weight loss comes from a calorie deficit, don't make it a huge deficit, keep it reasonable and remember any change you are considering making.. Ask yourself "Am I willing to do this for the rest of my life?" If the answer is yes, then go for it, if the answer is no then start thinking about why you are considering this change.

7. Find an activity and/or exercise that you enjoy and Get up and MOVE!

8. STOP LOOKING FOR a secret or magic pill - Calories in vs. Calories out keep it simple it works!

Well said.