Stored fat question

Options
My question is, for those who say "you're not eating enough" and all of that horse****e, doesn't your body burn the fat you have stored when it needs it when you're "not eating enough"?? I really don't understand what is the problem with eating 1200 calories a day! You're not "starving" your body and all that bull****e, look at the people in Africa, THEY'RE STARVING! If I even eat 1500 calories a day, someone will say you're not eating enough, your body is gonna go in starvation mode, how do you expect your body to burn fat when you keep eating? People say your body holds on to the fat when you don't eat much, what a load of ****e, it's been proven numerous of times that you will still lose weight (FAT). If you're not eating "enough", your body needs energy, where is it gonna get that energy? Oh yeah, your stored fat. That would be the most obvious way, it wouldn't hold on to it when it needs energy, you canoot deny that FACT.

Replies

• 1pandabear
    1pandabear Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    true
  • lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    I've never believed in 'starvation mode' If I don't eat enough I'm sure that my body will pull that Snickers out of my arm fat.
  • sloppyjack
    Options
    Exactly/ If you're not eating "enough", im pretty sure that big piece of fat around your body will be utilised....
  • bluearmy28
    bluearmy28 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have heard this argument a thousand times... I do not disagree with you. However I do think there is something to be said about keeping your metabolism at active/high levels which does require proper nutrition.. With that being said, I still say do what works best for you, you know your body better than anyone. 2 years ago I had great success at eating 1200 calories a day. Just do what is working best for you, your body will let you know if its working or not.
  • sloppyjack
    Options
    I have heard this argument a thousand times... I do not disagree with you. However I do think there is something to be said about keeping your metabolism at active/high levels which does require proper nutrition.. With that being said, I still say do what works best for you, you know your body better than anyone. 2 years ago I had great success at eating 1200 calories a day. Just do what is working best for you, your body will let you know if its working or not.

I agree with the whole metabolism thing, that is slows down if you do not eat enough, but this bull****e that people say "you will gain weight", your body will "hold on to the fat" is a load of broscience bullcrap! If you're hungry, im pretty sure your body will manage, especially if you got some fat on your body!
  • judylutz
    judylutz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    What happens if you don't eat? Doesn't your body burn stored energy? Actually, no. The first thing that happens is that your blood sugar levels drop, and you become weak. Your body then secretes cortisol, which gets your blood sugar back to normal by breaking down your muscle tissue. The solution is to eat just enough every few hours to keep your blood sugar balanced.

Now what happens when you exercise? If your blood sugar is level, the energy comes from glycogen, or stored glucose in your muscles. Your cells prefer to burn carbs and fat for energy. The term burning is used because you need oxygen - that's why you breathe harder when you workout. The waste products of aerobic energy are carbon dioxide and water, which is why you sweat. Fat cannot be burned by itself, it must use carbs, which break down into glucose. When the muscle's glucose storage is depleted, the body stops burning fat for energy and starts burning/breaking down muscle for energy. This is when the muscle stops working. This is why athletes load up on carbs right before an intensive workout - they burn the sugar in their blood first in order to postpone using up their glycogen storage.

If you want to burn fat, you need to keep track of your heart rate. You want to use oxygen. There's a formula you can use to figure this out: start with 220 and subtract your age. I am 51, so that would be 169. Multiply that number by .7 to get your target heart rate, which is 70%. So for me that would be 118.3 beats per minute. So when I measure my pulse, I time the number of beats for 6 seconds, and then add a zero. I try to keep the number of beats on the treadmill between 120 and 140. Now, if you go higher, you will be burning muscle to provide energy. That's a good way to increase your stamina, but I would only do this in short bursts. You have probably heard the term for this as "interval" training. This creates anaerobic metabolism - when your cells don't need oxygen to convert glucose into energy. There are specific enzymes which process glucose more quickly, as compared to the enzymes that are used to break down fat during a less intense workout. During high intensity training, your body stimulates more of the growth hormone, which increases the rate of protein synthesis. The result is a faster breakdown of stored body fat.
  • pammiejean40
    pammiejean40 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Its all about eating when you are hungry and eating the right foods. I mean if you ate at mcdonalds every day then yeah you are going to put on weight. YOu have to eat the right foods and eat when you are hungry. Me myself I stop eating after 7pm. If I get hungry before I go to bed then its to bad stomach. I don't reach my 1200 calories everyday and I still eat a lot. But I'm making sure i'm eating the right foods to.
  • JasminHyde
    Options
    I did the fasting diet years ago where you take in less than 600 cal a day - but if you pick and choose the right foods you still eat a considerate amount!
    honestly the only people which feel 'starved' or go into said 'starvation mode' are not following it properly and take in empty calories.
    throughout the diet i didnt feel tired and sluggish and didnt get 'ill' like many have said before: I lost some weight - at the same rate as prev to stricting the calories - and kept it off easilly without a challenge. So there is evidence that shows you can live on a LOW cal daily diet without "starving" as if you do need to lose the pounds the body has plenty back up reserves where it can take energy from. - i did the diet as an experiment since im a real biological science junkie and considering trying it again to be fair since it did work! (studying Bsc (hons) Bioveterinary Science)

so like i said if you look after your body's vital vitamins and minerals - pick the right foods and not sncak on empty calories then it is possible to live on a 1000 or less calories without starving
  • holliebevineau
    holliebevineau Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    bump
  • vedalewis
    vedalewis Posts: 37
    Options
    That is so true! Its all about eating the right food...
  • pammiejean40
    Options
    What happens if you don't eat? Doesn't your body burn stored energy? Actually, no. The first thing that happens is that your blood sugar levels drop, and you become weak. Your body then secretes cortisol, which gets your blood sugar back to normal by breaking down your muscle tissue. The solution is to eat just enough every few hours to keep your blood sugar balanced.

Now what happens when you exercise? If your blood sugar is level, the energy comes from glycogen, or stored glucose in your muscles. Your cells prefer to burn carbs and fat for energy. The term burning is used because you need oxygen - that's why you breathe harder when you workout. The waste products of aerobic energy are carbon dioxide and water, which is why you sweat. Fat cannot be burned by itself, it must use carbs, which break down into glucose. When the muscle's glucose storage is depleted, the body stops burning fat for energy and starts burning/breaking down muscle for energy. This is when the muscle stops working. This is why athletes load up on carbs right before an intensive workout - they burn the sugar in their blood first in order to postpone using up their glycogen storage.

If you want to burn fat, you need to keep track of your heart rate. You want to use oxygen. There's a formula you can use to figure this out: start with 220 and subtract your age. I am 51, so that would be 169. Multiply that number by .7 to get your target heart rate, which is 70%. So for me that would be 118.3 beats per minute. So when I measure my pulse, I time the number of beats for 6 seconds, and then add a zero. I try to keep the number of beats on the treadmill between 120 and 140. Now, if you go higher, you will be burning muscle to provide energy. That's a good way to increase your stamina, but I would only do this in short bursts. You have probably heard the term for this as "interval" training. This creates anaerobic metabolism - when your cells don't need oxygen to convert glucose into energy. There are specific enzymes which process glucose more quickly, as compared to the enzymes that are used to break down fat during a less intense workout. During high intensity training, your body stimulates more of the growth hormone, which increases the rate of protein synthesis. The result is a faster breakdown of stored body fat.

How can this be so? That is saying my target heart rate is 126. There is NO possible why when I am on the elliptical that my heart rate will be that low! I was told that my target heart rate should be around the 150 to 160 region. And I am 40.
  • sloppyjack
    Options

The Minnesota starvation experiment proves what I typed, I don't know about you... Everyone lost FAT and weight when they were eating 1500 calories for 3 months.....this disproves your theory. Oh, and this "eating regularly" is a load of bullcrap as well, so many studies disproving it.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. Its all about eating when you are hungry and eating the right foods. I mean if you ate at mcdonalds every day then yeah you are going to put on weight. YOu have to eat the right foods and eat when you are hungry. Me myself I stop eating after 7pm. If I get hungry before I go to bed then its to bad stomach. I don't reach my 1200 calories everyday and I still eat a lot. But I'm making sure i'm eating the right foods to.

You can eat at McDonald's every day and lose weight, as long as you maintain your deficit. For nutritional reasons, it is obviously better to eat healthy foods most of time, with some treats factored in. But to lose weight, you pretty much just need the deficit.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    someone wake me up when the OP finally realizes that LBM retention is a "thing"
  • wtw0n
    wtw0n Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    While I agree that this so-called starvation mode thingy is nonsense, I also think you should spend some time studying biochemistry. Then you would know how your body gets the energy it needs and why it does it that way. Fat storage is not the #1 on the list, whether you eat a lot, enough or you don't eat enough at all.

Also, you can get your message across way better without all the swearing, just sayin'.

You could eat at McDonald's every damn day and still lose weight. Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out.
  • lottylulu1969
    lottylulu1969 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    someone wake me up when the OP finally realizes that LBM retention is a "thing"

^this

Also, OP, why so angry?
  • sloppyjack
    Options
    I'm not.
  • pammiejean40
    Options
    While I agree that this so-called starvation mode thingy is nonsense, I also think you should spend some time studying biochemistry. Then you would know how your body gets the energy it needs and why it does it that way. Fat storage is not the #1 on the list, whether you eat a lot, enough or you don't eat enough at all.

Also, you can get your message across way better without all the swearing, just sayin'.

You could eat at McDonald's every damn day and still lose weight. Weight loss is about calories in vs calories out.
    Um I fail to see where I swore??
  • pammiejean40
    Options

But I do see where you did