How did you feel after cutting out gluten or carbs?

Options
Were there noticeable changes in the way you felt? And was it difficult for you to do?

Replies

• Fit_French
    Fit_French Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I never felt different after cutting gluten, but cutting carbs tuns me into a nasty little thing! I just make sure my carbs are complex and im good to go!
  • jac_84
    jac_84 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I feel fantatic from cutting out gluten especially!! No more puffy/swollen feeling for me! Ive never felt better in my life!
  • Lexandrei
    Lexandrei Posts: 38
    Options
    I never felt different after cutting gluten, but cutting carbs tuns me into a nasty little thing! I just make sure my carbs are complex and im good to go!

What happened when you cut out carbs?
  • missjoci
    missjoci Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Cutting out gluten is tough, but a lot of people are sensitive to it. I feel amazing when I don't eat gluten. Less water weight, less tummy fat, less headaches, and more energy. I feel really good when I eat less carbs. I usually have more energy with lower or healthier carbs. Currently trying to cut some of those out!
  • ALNoog
    ALNoog Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    I feel awesome when going low carb!

So much more energy. Less *****y and grumpy.

But I have insulin resistance and pcos so it's a given that id feel better lowering carbs.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I felt quite a bit better after cutting out gluten. No more bloating, cramping etc.
    I find now I can have *some* and only certain things, like spelt, without issue.

I've never really done low carb other than for a day or so, so I can't speak to that, though I do aim for slow carbs, good nutrient dense, high fiber carbs.
  • DannehBoyy
    DannehBoyy Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    I tried cutting out carbs for a day recently, and i was really snappy and angry lol. I wouldn't do it again personally but it might be different for other people :')
  • MrsLannister
    MrsLannister Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I cut gluten for a few months so see if I was intolerant. The first week I had a severe headache and was tired all the time, then I felt normal. When I added gluten back in I didn't have any symptoms, so I am back on gluten.
  • queen_ana
    queen_ana Posts: 35
    Options
    When I cut gluten and the majority of carbs from processed foods, I do have to say I didn't "feel" any different at first but at the end of 2 weeks, I did notice that I had much more stamina and energy and I didn't feel as sluggish. I felt more AWAKE. I can't really see myself going back to gluten/too many carbs. It worked very well for me, but to each their own!
  • Discobanditt
    Discobanditt Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been low-carb for about a week (net carbs making up about 6% of my daily calories) and I feel FANTASTIC. My energy has improved, my mood is much better, and I feel much more satisfied from my meals. I'm doing keto, though, which means that most of my calories come from fats. I can't speak to a high protein/low carb diet.
  • ashandstuff
    ashandstuff Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    Considering I have Celiac disease, not eating gluten made life MUUUUCH better to me.

I don't recommend cutting gluten for more than a month if you are not gluten intolerant/celiac, it can lead to the development of an intolerance. Once you get it, you get it bad.

And cutting carbs seems silly to me, since they are a necessary food group.

I think a lot of people should honestly just go with cutting out the high fat content stuff like: fried foods, butter-rich pastries, and lots processed foods.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I would cut someone if I cut back on carbs, but I have a friend who went gluten free. No verified medical reason, she just noticed she felt better without gluten. She hasn't had trouble with gluten free options in her own cooking or at gatherings, because we always make sure to have gluten free options. Going out to restaurants can make it a bit difficult because the town has not quite caught up with 2014 and there are limited options.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Were there noticeable changes in the way you felt? And was it difficult for you to do?

I cut out most grains and a majority of my normal added sugars, I'm eating about 100g of carbs - the transition from medium carbs to low was difficult for about 2 days.

Now I have a constant stream of energy, all of my carb cravings have gone - I don't even miss the things I cut, and now I'm not normally hungry till gone noon.

Also I only ever need to eat more carbs for exercise when I'm doing sprints.

Good luck.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    I've been doing keto (20g net carbs per day, high fat, moderate protein) for over a month and I feel AMAZING. My energy has improved like crazy, I never feel bloated or gassy anymore and I'm losing weight and sticking to calories really easily. Sometimes when you first go low carb, as your body is adjusting you feel flu-like symptoms. If you stick with it for over a week or so, the symptoms go away!
  • Mof3wc
    Mof3wc Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I felt like a whole new person after cutting out gluten, but I have celiac and I was incredibly sick at that point.

No idea about low carb. Haven't tried it. Don't plan on ever trying it.
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I felt quite a bit better after cutting out gluten. No more bloating, cramping etc.
    I find now I can have *some* and only certain things, like spelt, without issue.

+1
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I did a gluten elimination diet to see if some of my fatigue/joint pain might have been caused by gluten sensitivity. No difference whatsoever. Which is good because I love to bake.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Um, cutting out gluten is really senseless unless you are intolerant.

I feel better eating more protein and less carbs, but I am in noway low carb. Balance and sustainable lifestyle.
  • daliyanin
    daliyanin Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I cut out gluten as I am gluten sensitive. I initially went to the Dr. to find out what causes my migraines (I have had them since I was a kid). I started my gluten free lifestyle after Christmas... and i feel great! After the initial shock, it got easier and easier. I feel better, I've lost weight, and (knock on wood) have not had a migraine since!

That said, I will not cut out carbs because they are still necessary and there are many other sources to get that too.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Um, cutting out gluten is really senseless unless you are intolerant.

I feel better eating more protein and less carbs, but I am in noway low carb. Balance and sustainable lifestyle.

Until you try cutting it you don't know if your intolerant - If you've always eaten it where is your baseline for normal.

I would suggest that anybody wants to try it, it would be a sensible choice. If you're one of the lucky ones that gluten makes absolutely no difference to (mild or severe) then get it back into your diet.

If it does make a difference, well at least you know and if eating the gluten out weights the discomfort then much away.

Good luck