Maximum weight for standard bicycle?

I've been thinking for a little while about buying a bike, not to use all the time as my job means I have to drive a car but for weekends and during the summer. However I'm worried that a standard bicycle might not be able to take my weight. I have searched for maximum bicycle weight but haven't really found a good answer. Can anyone help? I'm UK based

Replies

• geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Anything half decent and you're fine. Even the cheap ones, pretty sure won't be a problem (They'll fall apart regardless of how much you weigh :) ).
  • Chris_58
    Chris_58 Posts: 32
    I was cycling at nearly 17 stone, pretty sure you'll be fine.
  • geebusuk
    And I've known people 23 stone (and possibly heavier) to do just fine too.

Seen enough in the 17-20 stone ranging doing off roading, where the bike's taking a lot more stress than on-road.
  • elpurple
    elpurple Posts: 46 Member
    Excellent, guess I had better start looking at which bike I can afford and would be best!
  • geebusuk
    Have you got an idea of your budget?

If it's under £150 or so, I'd stick with second hand in most cases, but ideally find someone who knows a bit about bikes to have a look first.
    If it's over that, I'd still consider second hand, but if you go through the genuine offers (rather than the, "we've doubled the price then halved it" style ones, there can be some good deals.) My road 'hybrid' cost me £330 down from £600 and I've been very happy with it for the last year and a half (though would have gone for a full on road bike in retrospect.)
  • Frood42
    Frood42 Posts: 245 Member
    I started with a hybrid (carrera crossfire 3 - heavy thing - £500), but I had also made the decision cycle to work (which was 20 miles (10 out, 10 back)) and I really have enjoyed it (London is actually ok for cycling).

My first year I ended up doing 8000 miles on the hybrid.

I have now decided to retire the hybrid and have gone for a Cyclocross bike, which is much, much lighter (depsite being an all steel frame). It's a really nice bike and as a commuting bike seems so far like it was an excellent choice.

It was not cheap though, it was the £1,200 Gensis Croix De Fer, but for the spec and price it is a very nice bike.

It all depends on your usage needs and how much you can afford.

If I was to make some suggestions:

Try a hire bike and see whether you will enjoy cycling (I started on the London "Boris" bikes).
    Avoid front or full suspension
    > Adds weight
    > only really needed for major off road
    > absorbs energy, so more energy needed to pedal

I like disc brakes, as they are good in both the dry and the wet, but they do add cost (but are worth it).
    If you are not used to drop handle bars and have limited time to get out on a bike I would suggest a flat bar hybrid.

Evans Cycles (I don't work for them) have a selection of bikes, but they do start at £300 upwards for discs and £220 no-discs.

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/hybrid-bikes/f/female#!Brake Type=Mechanical Disc!price_from=;price_to=;on_sale=;sort=asc;

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/bikes/hybrid-bikes/f/female#!!sort=asc

Oh, and while cycling is a cheap form of transport, the initial outlay for bikes and bits can be quite expensive.
    However it was much, much cheaper for me to do 8000 miles on the bike vs 6000 miles in the car.

• robmac13h
    robmac13h Posts: 44 Member
    any decent cycle shop will tell you everything you need to know and help you get a bike to suit your needs ,i started cycling in august at 17 stone now 12 stone
  • elpurple
    elpurple Posts: 46 Member
    It needs to be cheaper than £150 in an ideal world but I can save!
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Have you got an idea of your budget?

If it's under £150 or so, I'd stick with second hand in most cases, but ideally find someone who knows a bit about bikes to have a look first.
    If it's over that, I'd still consider second hand, but if you go through the genuine offers (rather than the, "we've doubled the price then halved it" style ones, there can be some good deals.) My road 'hybrid' cost me £330 down from £600 and I've been very happy with it for the last year and a half (though would have gone for a full on road bike in retrospect.)

This is good advice (Uk pricing will be different than Canadian But I would look around for a good place to buy a quality used bike - not a department store bike that is poorly assembled and will be lucky to last a season. Not sure about your area but we have a lot of small volunteer shops that train kids in rebuilding and servicing bikes and get them involved with donated gear, they raise funds by selling what they have rebuilt. I just Picked up an old but completely refurbished Giant Road hybrid that at the big shops would still cost 200 pounds or more (and a new version would run 4-500 pounds - translating prices. I paid about 100 pounds. One of the nicest bikes I've ever owned and a good platform for upgrades if I get more serious.
  • geebusuk
    Before I got my current hybrid I got a barely-used Giant Globe I think it was. It was heavier and had a bit lower gearing than my current one (which is basically a road bike with flat bars), but was fine for all the basics and the was a LOT better than the £120 or so that it cost me would get you for a new bike.
    Think it came with a receipt for £200 with original rrp at £300.

Not the first time I've bought a second hand bike that's barely been touched for considerably less than the original price.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Before I got my current hybrid I got a barely-used Giant Globe I think it was. It was heavier and had a bit lower gearing than my current one (which is basically a road bike with flat bars), but was fine for all the basics and the was a LOT better than the £120 or so that it cost me would get you for a new bike.
    Think it came with a receipt for £200 with original rrp at £300.

Not the first time I've bought a second hand bike that's barely been touched for considerably less than the original price.

It's like buying a car buy it new and you will take the big initial depreciation hit, buy it a year old and you'll save a ton (far more than the actual wear and tear would suggest)
    I know a number of people who courier and they all have both good and not so good bikes, but if they are serious they probably built the bike they are riding or paid someone to do it to their spec and budget. I'm not that advanced yet - though i already know the next one will be even more road bike and this one will become the winter beater. I use it for a commute so in my case the ultra light weight frames and rims aren't always a good thing because the roads can be pretty bad (particularly at this time of year here, I hit a pothole the other day I thought was going to swallow my mini whole :noway:
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Do you have Target in UK? I bought an excellent very sturdy 7 speed Schwinn bicycle at Target for $200. I think it'll last me forever, even when I'm not overweight! It has a mountain bike frame and thin tires.

http://www.target.com/p/schwinn-men-s-700c-median-28-bike-green/-/A-14238317#prodSlot=medium_1_3&term=green bicycle

It's a men's bike but that doesn't matter. I think its sturdier.