Polar HRM Ft 7

Options
So I've been looking into getting a heart rate monitor.
The polar ft7 I've heard was the best, but I wanted MFP input. Does anyone have this?

Do heart rate monitors show how many cals you've burned? Do you only wear during exercise?

Is there any better/more accurate hrms I should look into??

Thanks for any input :)

Replies

• 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I use the Polar FT4 and it's very good. The only part I don't like is that you have to water down the chest strap snaps to attach the monitor part on and it's cold in the winter! It's very accurate and easy to use. I only wear it during exercise.
  • 2dogzrule
    2dogzrule Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah and the FT4 shows calories burned and time spent in zone in addition to heart rate.
  • lisxoox
    lisxoox Posts: 12
    Options
    I've been using the FT7 for a couple weeks now and I really like it. I only wear it during excercise and I find it to be pretty accurate.
    it's so much fun to work out with a HRM! It really motivates me and keeps me going for way longer than I thought I'd be able to :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I use a FT7 but it's far from "the best" - it's good and perfect for what I use it for but there are many more expensive models with more features.

A lot of it depends of what you want to use it for.

HRMs estimate calories - they can't actually count calories although I've found the estimates close enough so that I can balance my intake calories and exercise calories. And yes - only wear them during actual exercise as they are not daily activity monitors.
  • cassylee
    cassylee Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I wear the FT60. I found that the smaller the number it has less features. I actually started with an FT7 several years ago (and yes it has been upgraded since then and my friend wears the new version now). However, just because it has more functions doesn't really mean that you need it. When I brought FT60, it was the most girliest watch out there. Now there are more nicer and prettier watches out there. I dont use all the features in the FT60 but they are handy to have. So my point is that all heart rate monitors watches will tell your heart rate, calories burnt and the time of day. It is more to your individual taste as to which watch is good for you.

My next watch will be back to more basic model. All I care about is the style, the minimum functions and that it is waterproof because I wear it constantly.

There are new things coming out everday. I have seen a few watches that dont need a chest strap. Although these products are in there infancy, all you have to do is you tube them.
  • thatismesammyg
    thatismesammyg Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have a FT4 and never wet the chest strap except for the first day I wore it.
  • Trishskee
    Trishskee Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my polar watch and it really helped keep me going even when the scale wasn't budging. I saw improvements in fitness, heart rate and how hard I could really push myself. It also kept a much more accurate count of calories burned than MFP. Well worth the investment!
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I have one and its perfect and I never wet the chest strap haha i get sweaty enough that its soaked anyway. Super smelly.
    But you should definitely get one, wearing a heart rate monitor gives me more motivation to work harder. I was driving to work this morning and realised I had left mine at home so I turned around and went back, thats how much I hate working out without it! haha
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    AvalonsUnicorn Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first HRM a Polar FT4. I LOVE it! I've only used it twice now and am already thinking of upgrading the the FT7 haha! I wanted something easy to use and it is! Plus it had better color choices :wink: I do wear the wrist band part all the time cause it makes for a nice watch! But I only use the chest band when exercising. I also know Amazon has some pretty good prices on both the FT4 and FT7. You can also look through their questions and answers there on it if you want. Have a nice day and good luck! :flowerforyou:
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    Thanks much for all the input!!!

So as I am a female, can I get a men's polar watch??
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    Options
    even though they list em as men's / woman's as far as I know they are unisex. the bands have holes the entire way so if you have tiny wrists like I do it's not an issue.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hello! I'm currently using the Polar H7, which is Bluetooth-linked to my iPhone. I'm very pleased with it, and it seems to be accurate with counting calories. The breast strap is tucked under my sports bra, and will stay in place comfortably. The HR sensor is waterproof enough to take it swimming. I've had the phone on the side of the pool, and it recorded perfectly. If you turn on GPS, you can track the distance, too. I tried it on a 1/4 mile track, and it was within one yard of the distance. It has a 'gym link', which allows it to access several treadmills, stationary bikes...if your gym has newer model equipment. It's got a few more features, best to check the Polar Website for details.
    I occasionally use another Polar monitor, the wrist watch type, but it is sometimes in the way, depending on the exercises.
    The watch and the Bluetooth type each have settings for both men and women. You'll be able to adjust the settings upon startup. The sensors use a standard battery, and they are very easy to exchange.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options

No the black and red one is for men only - if you wear it the HRM Police will come after you.....
    :angry:

(BTW - surprised no-one has mentioned the best FT7 feature, on your birthday you get a picture of a birthday cake. :love: )
  • bcnewell27
    bcnewell27 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure about the ft7 but I was looking at either it or the ft4 on Amazon and the ft4 had higher reviews than the ft7 when I looked at it so that's what I went with. I love it. I wear it every time I do cardio. It helps keep me motivated and seems to be accurate (accurate enough for me) when counting the calories. I think it also has a gym link because I've never had to put my hands on their heart rate grips and it always displays what my watch says on their monitor although there is typically a 20 calorie difference between their display and mine. Needless to say I'd totally buy it again if something happened to it. I wet the strip with a damp rag before I put it on. (As others have said it probably isn't necessary with body sweat and all, but I still do it.) I fits comfortably under my sports bra and I forget that I'm even wearing it. It's supposed to be water resistant up to 30 meters.
  • Tanana66
    Tanana66 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    (BTW - surprised no-one has mentioned the best FT7 feature, on your birthday you get a picture of a birthday cake. :love: )

Nooooo!
    You have spoiled the surprise for me!
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options

Don't see why not - I have a Polar Loop which will sync with the H7 strap so thats what I am going with - the Loop is also much like a fitbit (tracks steps, calories, activity levels, etc) but does not sync with MFP - the Polar site seems okay though.
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options

Nooooo!
    You have spoiled the surprise for me!

You have stolen my reply haha and my birthday is only a few weeks away (hey, encouragement to run on my birthday though eh?)

I have the FT7 too.... the only pitfall and my own fault I should have looked into it more closely is that it doesn't have GPS so can't tell me how far I've run (I carry my phone and use the running app, for that).... you also have to buy other equipment to download the info to the computer programe I believe? But I never use it for that - I just manually input to MFP...

Nyk x
  • Alyssawinter1221
    Options
    Thanks again!!

Wait, is there an hrm that has gps and shows distance??? That is awesome, I'd love that!!
  • AvalonsUnicorn
    Options
    yeah some of the other polar ones do. you can go to their site and choose your features I think :)
  • rfsatar
    rfsatar Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I use a FT7 but it's far from "the best" - it's good and perfect for what I use it for but there are many more expensive models with more features.

A lot of it depends of what you want to use it for.

HRMs estimate calories - they can't actually count calories although I've found the estimates close enough so that I can balance my intake calories and exercise calories. And yes - only wear them during actual exercise as they are not daily activity monitors.

This. I use an FT7 just for exercise but I chose it because it was also pool-proof :-)
    It's a good allrounder and I wear a fitbit all the other times to catch the everyday stuff