Buckwheat "risotto"- Low Cal comfort food!

Options
kaydeedoubleu1
kaydeedoubleu1 Posts: 567 Member
Ingredients:
1.5 cups buckwheat (raw, don't use cooked i.e kasha or buckinis)
4 cups stock of your choice (I used chicken, but vegetable works if you want a complete vegan/vegetarian option)
4 Crushed garlic cloved
I large onion, diced
1/4 cup white wine
Sliced mushrooms
Pumpkin/sweet potato, diced and pre cooked (either steamed or roasted)
2 Cups diced root vegetables (I used turnip and eggplant) lightly steamed
Fresh Sage
Fresh/dried chilli

Method:
1. Soak Buckwheat in water for 30 mins, then drain and rinse under water until water runs clear.
2. In a dry pan on a medium heat, toast buckwheat. This will take between 3-5 minutes. You will want to buckwheat to soften and dry out...it will 'pop' slightly and become a slightly darkened colour. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Heat 1 T of oil (I prefer to use coconut oil) in a pan, and sautee onion and garlic and about 6-8 sage leaves for 2-3 minutes. Add mushroom and chilli, cook for a further 3 minutes.
4. Add buckwheat, and cook until all liquid is soaked up and mixture becomes dry. Add white wine, stir until soaked up.
5. Add all vegetables to mixture. Then proceed to add stock, one cup at a time, making sure each cup is soaked in before adding the next. This should take 15-20 minutes.
6. If you feel, you can add parmesan at this stage.
Enjoy!

*Buckwheat is a great gluten free alternative to rice. It's low GI meaning it stabilizes blood sugar and sustains energy levels for long periods. I cup cooked buckwheat is around 150 cals, so a light option.