How can I more accurately measure calorie burn of workouts?

Options
Does anyone know of any good websites where I can more specifically calculate my workout calorie burn than MFP? I've been logging my workouts as "weightlifting" but it might me more like circuit-training... as a result it's thrown off my TDEE i'm pretty sure because I haven't been progressing in lifts and losing energy during workouts. I've also fallen asleep an hour after workouts on workout days. So that must mean that MFP's estimate of my calorie burn is off, but I'm not sure where I really sit for my TDEE. Any suggestions?

For reference I work out 3 times a week, 2 days of hour-long weights in supersets and a day of one hour of kickboxing. Occasionally walking for 20 minutes on rest days.

Replies

• HaibaneReki
    HaibaneReki Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Same question. I'm starting kettlebell swings etc. and found no way to log that. There's two "strength training" items in CARDIO (:huh:) but no other details. I need to know how much fuel do I need for a couple sets every day.

Thinking of not logging that at all and seeing what it does to my progress..
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM and log the calories burned. It's still only an estimation based on your heart-rate, weight and height, but it's better than nothing.
  • HaibaneReki
    Options
    drat, it's 2 more months till my b-day :explode:
  • ashleearoha
    ashleearoha Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Heart Rate Monitor! Get a Polar, they are great :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Get a HRM and log the calories burned. It's still only an estimation based on your heart-rate, weight and height, but it's better than nothing.

It's meaningless for the type of training being described given that calorie expenditure is extrapolated from HR, and the algorithms are predicated on consistency around HR.
  • katew221
    katew221 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calories_burned.htm

This website seems to be pretty accurate for me - I was slowing down on my loss using the MFP calorie data, but as soon as I switched to these calories the loss started up again.

I just input my workout and info into the website, and then edit my workout minutes on MFP accordingly, so that the time is not accurate but the calories are. You can also use a lower setting of effort to show a longer time, so it doesn't mess up your workout goals for the week.

E.g. yesterday I did 40 minutes of vigorous stationary bike, which is 400 calories burned, but instead of putting in those 40 mins I put in 18 mins of 'vigorous stationary bike' on MFP and got a much more accurate calorie log at 393.

Good luck! :smile:
  • HaibaneReki
    Options

well since it looks like it doesn't burn much then I probably won't log the KBs at all and BRB after a while..