When does everyone work out?

Options
Morning, midday, night? I'm stuck between either morning or night. I'm NOT a morning person...the only reason I'm alive (awake lol) right now is because I have yet to go to bed.

Midday would be good if I could afford a gym membership, in about a month..maybe 2, it will be fine. But as of now its still like 90 degrees outside in the middle of the day, sometimes hotter. For instance, today's high is supposed to be 105.

So I think night...but my nights are usually busy with the kid, homework, dinner, picking up after everyone (ugh), and then by the time I'm done its 9 or 10pm...and I just don't want to anymore. :-/

So just curious when other people do, and why. :)

Replies

• cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I go first thing in the morning after I drop off at school or on weekends while the kids are at swim practice. If I don't go then, it doesn't get done. Too many other things going on. I know what you mean about the heat, I live in Florida so outside workouts MUST take place first thing.
  • Cina04
    Cina04 Posts: 609
    Options
    Morning & Afternoon =)
  • tameka1220
    tameka1220 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I luv early mornings! 4am-ish! If i don't make it in the mornin, i go mid afternoon, 1pm ish
  • aprilshowers13
    Options
    I just joined a gym and I love working out at night when its less crowded. Before I joined a gym I dragged my butt out of bed around 6:30am before my litte boy woke up and excercised. It can get really hot here in TX too.

You have to make the time.
  • mkpeacock
    Options
    I dont have a set time per say but I like to exercise after breakfast around 8am and before lunch which in my house is between 12 and 1... I find that I hate being a morning person but if I get up and make my self do this I feel better and have more energy!!!
  • ErickaJos
    ErickaJos Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When I first started my fitness journey, I would work out before my family woke up. I considered it my "ME TIME" - no interruptions, just me and my DVDs. Before I went to bed, I laid out my workout clothes and my sneakers. Then lastly, set my alarm clock! As soon as I woke up I'd get dressed. Since I work out at home, no teeth brushing or makeup was required :-) I used to belong to a gym but never had the time to go because of work, family, HW, etc.
  • teetee1281
    teetee1281 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Options
    I definitely prefer morning workouts. If I miss a workout, I notice that my day seems to drag on forever. A good workout really gets my day started. For the few times, that I have worked out in the afternoon, I've realized that I just don't have the same energy to push myself as hard.
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    5am during the week and 7am on Saturdays. Then sometimes again 2nd workout Saturday afternoon or Sunday afternoon. If you really want it you will do it. I'm not just interested in fat loss, I'm committed to it.
  • hungreeteacher17
    hungreeteacher17 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I work out two days a week at 4:30am and two days at 4:30 pm (before & immediately after work) I can't do mid day - I find too many other things to do. It all depends on your schedule & your energy. I am a morning person.
  • repochick
    repochick Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I was definately not a morning person and the only reason I was awake so early is to get the kids off to school. But now since I have started exercising and my weight loss, I have found that walking in the morning gives me so much energy to get through the day. My daughter is only in preK so I have to walk when she is in school or it doesn't get done. it is still really hot down here in So Carolina too so I do prefer morning because the temps are in the 60's and it's nice.
    Good Luck on your Journey.
    :happy:
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Ya...I keep thinking I need to go the kick my butt in the morning route. That sounds more like pulling the band-aid off fast, your up, your out, its over. lol
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    not a morning person but go early due to the tx heat. my favorite time is evenings just as the sun is setting and there's still enough light/twilight.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    Early morning or mid morning before lunch. Rarely afternoon and rarely in the evening. I feel if I get it done it is out out the way plus my body is reved up and burns more caloreis :-)
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Due to my schedule, I have to do my runs in the evenings, after dinner.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    Well I live GA so outside is awful in the humidity, so I do an Aerobic DVD in my living room with the AC on :D I want to get up early and do my workouts but I am sooooo not a morning person. I get up at 8 am and I am not completely awake until around 10 am. by then I am hungry and need breakfast so then I have to wait until about 1/2 an hour before excersizing lol. crazy huh? soooo i usually get my aerobics in around 11 am or so. i really wish i was a morning person. hmph.
  • carl1738
    carl1738 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I try to do my weight training in the morning, when I'm rested, and get a bit of cardio done in the afternoon or evening.
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    When it was really hot here in Illinois, I would get up really early (not a morning person either) and walk and then walk again before sundown when it was a little cooler. Also, I invested in a stationary bike and an exercise DVD so I could workout inside my air conditioned house during the rain/heat/and soon snow. You have to figure out what works best for you. If your neighborhood is safe and you are a night person, you could walk after dark when it is a lot cooler in your area. If your neighborhood isn't safe, then I recommend walking or running just before sundown. Try to time your workout so you can be back home before dark if the area isn't safe after dark.

Vickie
  • VCStarr
    VCStarr Posts: 155
    Options
    I usually go at night after my younger kids go to bed. My daughter (who is babysitter certified) stays with them while my fiance and I go to the gym. On the weekends our gym closes early so I go in the morning, but it's not as effective for me. I'm FAR from a morning person. I'm just too tired in the morning to bother. But I do something.
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    About 5:30 am during the week (before work) and around 9-10 am on weekends. If I don't do it in the morning then I don't do it at all, so that time has worked best for me for years.
  • wickedfunbunny
    Options
    I workout sometime in the am - sometimes in the pm- i always walk /jog at the lake road near my hous-e daily!!! its fantastic to just go there with my 12 yr old daughter and zone out and watch the sunrise /sunset...its a gift to myself----and guess what the house work will be waiting when i get back and thats ok too-i dont allow frivolous things like silly housework keep me from my fitness agenda...we all pitch in and its ok-delegating chores to get them fdone is best - even if they arent done exactly like id do them! .on my days off - wich are usually a weekday - i go to the gym and put in 45min on the elliptical ---then atleast 45 min of weight training:)----im at peace with me when i put me first !~! do this for you !! its a gift to yourself !! true happiness will follow! Torrie