Yesterday was not good

Options
b/c of certain family situations, there is one day a month where I know that I'm going to end up going over on my calories and I know its going to be extremely emotional and I'm an emotional eater. Nuff said on that. Needless to say yesterday was that one day for me, compared to other times I did good, only over 450 calories for the entire day.
So I was wondering if today can I make up for it? How bad is 450 extra calories if it is only once a month?
And any other advice would be great.
Unlike in the past though I'm determined to keep going forward and not let one day destroy me.

Replies

• juicyre
    juicyre Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    You asked a very good question. Im actually wondering the same thing. Yesterday, i was over my calories by 5 something... That was sooooo bad... I really hope it doesnt slow down my progress. I HAVE to work it all off and more today.
  • Jennili7
    Options
    From what I've gathered about dieting...a bad day every once in a while is a good way to keep your body guessing. If you body gets comfortable with your routine then your weight loss will slow. Also, 450 over for the day isn't going to mess up the progress you've made. You may not loose any weight for a day or two but in the grand scheme of things...you'll be alright. :happy: When I do bad days I do them up big! Yesterday was a bad day for me and I was a little over 2,500 calories. Yesterday morning (before the damage :laugh: ) I weighted in at 163.0 and this morning I was 163.6 so I'm not really worried about it. Get in the gym and do your normal thing and just keep trucking away!! :flowerforyou:
  • jdcole67
    jdcole67 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    My day was Friday - and since I have been doing this since January, I have had a few of those days...my advice is don't sweat it too much, just plan on doing better today, tomorrow, etc.

There really is no way to "make up" for calories consumed in the past, the key to long-term weight management is to develop consistency over time, so it's sort of like the "crying over spilled milk" story...just do better today and don't let a small setback cause you to lose focus on the bigger goal...
  • JodieHut
    JodieHut Posts: 696 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion would be to plan ahead. If you know will have a day that you will go over calories, then cut your calories by 100 in the five to seven days before..... and increase water and exercise after the extra calories.

Hopefully, as the months go by you will get emotionally stronger and that day wont trigger your brain to eat. I think as you continue to lose weight, you wont want to overeat and undo all your hard work.

Stay strong.... you can do it!!
  • NMorse1907
    NMorse1907 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've been told that you can go over your calories by a few hundred without it effecting the scale, as long as it's not an every day thing...
  • vickiele1
    vickiele1 Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I have weekends that I actually choose to not be concerned about the calories and exercise. I usually do try to do some exercise on those days and i also try to eat healthy - but I don't actually always succeed. I do then do more exercise the day before a weekend like that and the day following to try to compensate for the additional calories. As others have indicated the body can get used to the "routine" of weight loss, so mixing it up a bit is okay. Just work to not go over calories by too much and remember to increase your exercise if/when you realize that one of those days is coming up or has occurred.

Most importantly, remember this is your journey. YOU ARE IN CONTROL of what YOU do. You get to decide how much you eat, what you eat, how much you exercise, what kind of exercise - it is all about YOU!!! So, be gentle with yourself when it is necessary and be tough on yourself when you need to be.

Blessings

Vickie
  • Fiona711
    Options
    Yesterday I had an idea dinner was going to be big, so I watched my morning calories and went for a short walk. Still, after a lovely meal with my daughter at Qdoba, a fairly high-calorie experience itself, we decided to go for frozen custard for dessert (!!!!). You know what? I enjoyed every bit of it...

If you're indulging once in a while, enjoy the food - like everyone has said, an occasional overage in calories won't matter if you're usually consistent. But if you do, enjoy the food you eat and then you won't feel so darn guilty later.
  • maroon58
    maroon58 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    i don't think it will throw you off track. yesterday i had an orange julius and then frozen yogurt for dessert! i only had 3 calories left over after exercising and thought i would be way up today but i was actually down .8 oz. so it might be a good thing every now and then!
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    If you consume 3500 calories under your BMR over a period of time, you lose a pound. If you eat 450 calories over your goal on one day per month, then all that happens is that you might not lose a small portion of a pound that you might have lost if you hadn't splurged (about 1/8 of a pound). If you look at the long term, this is nothing to worry about.
    Elaine
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    b/c of certain family situations, there is one day a month where I know that I'm going to end up going over on my calories and I know its going to be extremely emotional and I'm an emotional eater. Nuff said on that. Needless to say yesterday was that one day for me, compared to other times I did good, only over 450 calories for the entire day.
    So I was wondering if today can I make up for it? How bad is 450 extra calories if it is only once a month?
    And any other advice would be great.
    Unlike in the past though I'm determined to keep going forward and not let one day destroy me.

Blimey, personally I wouldn't worry about 450 calories PER MONTH! It would be a different matter if it were 450 extra calories per day mind :laugh:

However, if it bothers you that much, set aside one extra day per month where you will go on a long walk and walk off 450 calories.

I say WTG on being so strict the rest of the time to be honest!!!
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    Just dust yourself off and pick yourself back up today. Get yourself back on track and move forward. Forget yesterday, just don't make it a habit and you'll be completely fine.
  • ashleighk2010
    Options
    My only suggestion would be to plan ahead. If you know will have a day that you will go over calories, then cut your calories by 100 in the five to seven days before..... and increase water and exercise after the extra calories.

This is what I was going to say, maybe not exactly but just try to be a little under for the day before and after. It will even out. Also, if you can go for a walk in the morning or the evening you won't even have to worry about it. The walk doesn't have to burn all the calories you ate, just close the gap a little. =] Good luck, you can do it!
  • Scorpiomom222
    Scorpiomom222 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    I have one break day a week, and just might indulge in something and go a bit over. Today is my break day. I'm so happy that I can give myself a break. lol I think the not exercising once or twice a week will also keep your body guessing.
  • StephieWheats
    StephieWheats Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    450 calories a month isnt going to hurt. Like everyone has said if it were a day or week it might be a concern. It will also keep your body guessing. I usually have what I call "guilt free days" I still stay with in my calories but I sneak in a meal or an item I have been craving. If you dont do a cheat day and you pretty much stay within your calorie goal any other time its not going to hurt. The problem you would see is if you were going over you BMR. That is when you will start packing on the pounds.