Eating Before Bed

Options
13»

Replies

• 1FearlessFighter
    1FearlessFighter Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Real science here; if you eat before bed ( worst of all carbs) it is NOT good , this is because all your glycogen stores are already filled up from food at the end of the day so any remaining calories will turn into fat . Also carbs increase levels of insulin which inhibits growth hormone from being released during the deep stages of sleep and this Growth hormone helps burn fat and increase and replenish muscle mass therefore ideally you should not have carbs after 7 and not eat anything after 9 so as to keep insulin levels down to allow for maximum growth hormone release at night

Sounds logical. Can you supply an online reference for your statements?
    Thanks.

Sorry, forgot to reference, I was actually just reading this in a book from jillian michaels called master your metabolism, there are so many tips for optimum hormonal balance so that they work with you and help to lose or maintain your weight and I would definitely recommend it. The whole calories in calories out is a very true but difficult statement since there are so many factors that when taken into account such as the time, the macronutrients breakdown of the food, how it was grown ( gm/ organic) any preservatives , artificial ingredients cause your hormones to react differently and may cause a gain or lose in weight by either way the food is even though you are consuming the same amount of calories
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Real science here; if you eat before bed ( worst of all carbs) it is NOT good , this is because all your glycogen stores are already filled up from food at the end of the day so any remaining calories will turn into fat . Also carbs increase levels of insulin which inhibits growth hormone from being released during the deep stages of sleep and this Growth hormone helps burn fat and increase and replenish muscle mass therefore ideally you should not have carbs after 7 and not eat anything after 9 so as to keep insulin levels down to allow for maximum growth hormone release at night

Sounds logical. Can you supply an online reference for your statements?
    Thanks.

Sorry, forgot to reference, I was actually just reading this in a book from jillian michaels called master your metabolism, there are so many tips for optimum hormonal balance so that they work with you and help to lose or maintain your weight and I would definitely recommend it. The whole calories in calories out is a very true but difficult statement since there are so many factors that when taken into account such as the time, the macronutrients breakdown of the food, how it was grown ( gm/ organic) any preservatives , artificial ingredients cause your hormones to react differently and may cause a gain or lose in weight by either way the food is even though you are consuming the same amount of calories

Oh, that's not really a reference but okay. Were there actual peer reviewed scientific studies in there or just opinions cleverly stated as fact with Jillian Michaels face on it?

For the record, I eat a lot of "junk " as the bulk of my evening snack calories and have lost 53 lbs and a considerable amount of body fat doing so and every scientific article I've seen seems to support the fact that macro nutrients aid body comp but calorie deficit still rules weight loss. And where those calories for macros comes from is up to the individual from a satiety and adherence standpoint.

I do think a person should eat a balanced diet but that includes everything, whenever they feel.

Timing is broscience
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

I do think a person should eat a balanced diet but that includes everything, whenever they feel.

YES
    Timing is broscience

too a point- when you get to high levels of competitions it starts to play an issue- but I would say for 98% of the population concerned with having a healthier more active- less fat life style- timing is completely negligible.
  • monstermum7
    Options
    I eat before bed most night, usually carb based after exercise. Lost weight every week so far doing so.