Does saving calories on weekdays for weekends work?

Options
124»

Replies

• cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    Options
    Your body is not on a daily or even weekly clock, so it really does not matter. Whatever makes "you" adhere to your diet better and stay flexible enough to not go insane or binge is what you should do. It's the overall average over time that counts, not the 1 day here or 1 week there. If over several weeks you lost or gained (whatever your current goal is), you can adjust up or down accordingly.
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Maybe I'll just try to eat my TDEE as much as possible but on some unavoidable occasions I may bank up some calories for gatherings ect.
  • balancedbrunette
    balancedbrunette Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Yea for me I also find it naturally fits into my week now, I'm at college during the week and plan/prepare most of my meals for this on a sunday and they always brings me to around 1400 and somedays I may up that a bit by snacking on nuts,fruit, yoghurts or going out with friends and having something extra. At weekends then is more downtime so I usually always hit maintenance figures here as may be social events or i may just be at home for the weekend and add more veggies, meat to my plate and enjoy a few treats in the evening or whatever. My maintenance is around 1700 now, i'm 112 and workout 3-4 days weekly minimum. Will say I had my maintenance at the 1600's in the beginning and then brought myself a little higher to support the strength training I started.

I'm actually aiming to hit maintenance now most days during the week to fuel my strength training goals but in general I have found somedays I have less calories, some more and everything just balances out over time. May sound silly but your body just finds it happy weight I suppose and everything will balances out over time as long as you stick to your goals but allow yourself some r&r every now and again, don't sweat it too much! :) apologise for the ramble of a post haha, in short saving calories on weekdays for weekends does work but dont be too strict on yourself with a deficit, either way you will find what works for you! :)
  • Wingg_
    Wingg_ Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Yea for me I also find it naturally fits into my week now, I'm at college during the week and plan/prepare most of my meals for this on a sunday and they always brings me to around 1400 and somedays I may up that a bit by snacking on nuts,fruit, yoghurts or going out with friends and having something extra. At weekends then is more downtime so I usually always hit maintenance figures here as may be social events or i may just be at home for the weekend and add more veggies, meat to my plate and enjoy a few treats in the evening or whatever. My maintenance is around 1700 now, i'm 112 and workout 3-4 days weekly minimum. Will say I had my maintenance at the 1600's in the beginning and then brought myself a little higher to support the strength training I started.

I'm actually aiming to hit maintenance now most days during the week to fuel my strength training goals but in general I have found somedays I have less calories, some more and everything just balances out over time. May sound silly but your body just finds it happy weight I suppose and everything will balances out over time as long as you stick to your goals but allow yourself some r&r every now and again, don't sweat it too much! :) apologise for the ramble of a post haha, in short saving calories on weekdays for weekends does work but dont be too strict on yourself with a deficit, either way you will find what works for you! :)

Thanks for sharing with me such detailed information! It's really helpful! ((:
  • sarafischbach9
    sarafischbach9 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can work. Especially because deficits can be over a period of time. If you're trying to maintain, you do not have a surplus or a deficit. But if you have some days under and some days over, it does even out over a period of a week. People can retain water and gain on the scale after a weekend of surplus that that usually goes away.

I personally do not do this, but I am working a deficit for Easter because I know I will eat slightly more.