Addictive personality

Options

Replies

• BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options

I don't think trading one addiction for another is ever a good thing. In my experience, you need to get to the root cause of what's causing your addiction before you jump to another one.

If you get addicted to exercise, it will become your life and you'll be stuck in the same unhealthy patterns that you are when you're deep in an addiction.

Maybe addicted is a bit of a strong word. I get into things may have been better. lol

Sometimes people can replace religion for addiction and that is how people end up in cults. I'm just saying I understand that side of it because there is a lot of drug and alcohol addiction in my family and I have seen this sort of thing happen.

But, I know that is not what the op meant. The op is saying she is habit forming. And actually one of the best ways to combat that is to replace healthy habits with unhealthy habits.

And yes, you can do that. Find what you enjoy. I dance, lift weights, do yoga, walk and hike, play, and enjoy active recreation.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    The more I keep up with a consistent routine the more I want to do it and keep doing it. You have to find something you love.

I LOVE kickboxing. Recently I found I love running too.
  • TattooedNici
    TattooedNici Posts: 2,141 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there, but have you thought about swimming classes?
  • ironrat79
    ironrat79 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I have memberships to 3 different gyms and a dojo. Sometimes I work out twice a day and I get ancy when I have to take a day off. We all have addictions, some are healthy-some not so healthy. I'm working on a nicotine addiction currently. Make some goals and good luck!
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    C25K got me absolutely hooked on running! I just ran my first race on Sunday, and plan to run both a 10K and a half marathon later in 2014. I highly suggest the program. :smile:
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    I have OCD, ADHD & a very addictive personality. I hated exercise..really. Getting me to even go for a walk with my husband was a 'no I got other things to do even though I don't ' kind of deal.

Now, just over 2 years later. I exercise daily, have not missed a day in all that time, because I'm addicted to the feeling it gives me. I don't miss a day even when sick or injured, In fact for the past few days I have been suffering from hamstring tendonitis & still cant stop exercising.

I was addicted to counting calories & that was leading to a whole new disorder cause if something was over a particular amount of calories per serve (so 50cal) then I would not eat it.

That kind of addictive trait can be good or bad.
  • RainbowSmiles123
    RainbowSmiles123 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to MFP...logging my food and cycling. I ride to eat!!!
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    I don't feel good when I go too long between workouts. A day or two off is fine, but I missed four days a few weeks ago and was getting pissy about it. For me it is a great stress relief and I crave the exercises that I do to help balance things out. My particular "addictions" are boxing and lifting. I run, but only like a mile or two after lifting or boxing. The boxing class helps me see the power I have within and the lifting fuels my desire for personal strength.
  • pghfitgirl
    Options
    When you start to see results, you will want to exercise and eat healthier. You may not LOVE it, you may not even like it very much...but you will LOVE the results.

Not only will you see the results in your body and love them, exercise will also just make you feel better. Whether you're starting with walking, jogging, weights, high intensity stuff, whatever you can handle...give it some time and you will see a huge difference in your mood and energy. And I bet you could get into that :)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Yes! I'm generally not an addictive personality, but I am addicted to two things: exercise and coffee.
  • shakeray1173
    Options

I stay home during the day and keep children. I am also a single mom of 4. I can't really go to classes. I know it sounds like I am making excuses, but you asked :)
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    It can happen! :-) just make it part of your daily life, and soon it will be routine. For me, once something becomes routine, then I just do it without thinking too much about it. just stick with it, even when it's hard and get yourself into a routine. :-)

^ She's right. I wasn't particularly fond of exercise or being outside at the start of my journey. Now it's gotten to the point where I feel guilty or lazy for taking a rest day so I go out for a leisurely walk as a compromise. It's gotten to be enjoyable. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I started on Couch to 5k when my youngest (I have two) was a year old. It was the only thing I had time for - just thirty minutes, three days a week. I could put my kids in the stroller and get it done. I never worried about whether I had time for the next session - if I had 30 minutes TODAY, I'd get out there and do it (never more than 2 days in a row).

I work full time and am married, so I continue to find the time to run. However, my husband doesn't have weekends off (I do) so it's hard for me to do anything else. I do body weight exercises at home for my strength training.
  • roniredd
    roniredd Posts: 48
    Options
    If you "hate" exercise, you just haven't found an activity you like yet. I can say I "love" exercise, but I do enjoy finding different physical activities to try. I am constantly mixing it up which keeps me somewhat interested. And, you don't have to "love" exercise, you just have to do it!
  • scyian
    scyian Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I'm addicted to exercise, especially on week days. My morning swim and lunchtime gym are the bits I look forward to. The working day gets in the way.
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options

I stay home during the day and keep children. I am also a single mom of 4. I can't really go to classes. I know it sounds like I am making excuses, but you asked :)

I think this is the reason why you should start tiny...Because if you have to take care of 4 little people and if it's hard to find free time for yourself, first you have to do effort to find place for the new routine.

Do you have any time in day when you can leave them by themselves for half an hour?

For example to make a walk around the block?

Or maybe you can fit the exercise into family routine, for example, every evening we're going to take a walk together?
    Or planing weekends outside on bikes, or short outing in the nearby nature... Kids usually love to get a bit of fresh air and going out of the house.
    Or if you like dancing, maybe you can have freestyle dance hour at home..putting on some music and turning your house into disco for half an hour :)

If you are type of person that usually puts other in front of yourself, maybe it would be even more motivating for you if you make it about improving your family health also.
  • shakeray1173
    Options
    Luckily, my kids love to be outside. It would be very easy to walk or ride bikes etc. Thanks!
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    It CAN happen. I'm almost there. I started weight machines this month and find I actually enjoy going and miss it if I don't, so I don't miss it. Find exercises, or active activities YOU enjoy. Addiction: we all have em, fine line between addiction, enjoyment and even compulsion. Food's the trickiest. We all need it and enjoy it, yet those of us who overindulge are somehow weak and inferior. I'm sorry, a crossword puzzle isn't a satisfying replacement for an ice cream cone. But an ice cream cone isn't a satisfying replacement for health and mobility in the long run. You'll find what you like!
  • 2dare2dream
    2dare2dream Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    i had to giggle at this post, i too have an addictive nature and yet those hours spent at the gym several times a week still do not make me eager to go lol. I love to see the benefits but i do long for the day when i will actively enjoy the experience and look forward to my workout days lol
  • eomuno215in541
    eomuno215in541 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Luckily, my kids love to be outside. It would be very easy to walk or ride bikes etc. Thanks!

Take the kids out and even just play catch or tennis or something would be good for all of you. (Remember you set examples they'll live by too.)