Trying to bulk up!!! Need advice

Options
So i've been going to the gym for the last 2 years faithfully at least 4-6 days per week on average. At first my goal was to lose as much belly fat as possible so i can get abs and have nice definition. But these past few months i began to realize that i only weigh 146lbs, and am 5'9, and that i still don't have the results i want. I think what i've been getting wrong is my diet. I used to weigh 170lbs when i was in high school around 16yrs old, now im 20 yrs old and weigh 146lbs, so i have always had a weight gaining phobia because i hated being chubby. but it's time i put that behind me and try to gain some more weight. At least get up to 155lbs but this time i want to add the right knid of weight, mostly if not all in muscle mass. So now for you guys, can you go check out my diary and see if what i've been eating will set me in the right path for the weight gain? I've only been using this app for like 5 days, and i'm in love with it, the app recommends i get around 2800 calories! Mainly i just want feedback on the types of food i'm eating and any helpful tips, recipes, and strategies to improve it! Thanks all

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Your food diary is private. If you're still on MFPs default macros, they may need tinkering with for muscle gain.
  • FckUrExcuses
    Options
    Ok my diary should be visible to everyone now, yea i havent been hitting every goal MFP sets for me i figured some of it was a little off, i mainly pay close attention to the fats, carbs, proteins, and fiber. having the vitamins is always a nice plus too of course!
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Figure out your TDEE and eat a 250-500 calorie surplus. Eat lots of protein.

And lift heavy. Here is a good beginner's routine: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843
  • Hondo_Man
    Hondo_Man Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    No, diary is still private. Click on settings at to of screen, Diary Settings, then at the bottom click public.
  • FckUrExcuses
    Options
    NOW it's public lol sorry about that
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Eat a pound of meat / day.
    4-12 Eggs / day.
    TONS of veggies and dark leafy greens.
    Get your lean body mass in protein / day.

1 to 2 servings of fruit and nuts / day.
    Sweet Potato's with cinnamon are a great carb refeeder.
    Peanut/Almond butter are great muscle builders.

Here's a great recipe for whole chickens. I use it with 5lbs.

http://www.food.com/recipe/kittencals-best-blasted-rapid-roast-whole-chicken-221743

Lift heavy and build some.
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I see the same people at the gym doing fluff and pump, making no real progress. Make sure you aren't one of them. Get on a good novice program and build a strength base on it before you start a bulk. You'll get better results.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    you should talk to Sarauk2sf. She is one of the moderators of this group:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/10118-eat-train-progress
  • FckUrExcuses
    Options
    Never thought of sweet potato and cinnamon that sounds pretty damn good! Should i be trying to eat like every 3 hours or so to keep the metabolism going? And how about training, should i do 3 days of heavier lifting then like 2 days of lightweight exercises and sprints?
  • FckUrExcuses
    Options
    Never heard of "fluff and pump" what's that mean?
  • rauljg42
    rauljg42 Posts: 30
    Options
    Supplement with whey protein and weight gainer. Get the good calories to bulk up muscle. Lift heavier weight, shorter reps. Bodubuilding.com has plenty of plans to build mass. I was very thin when I was young found it harder to put on weight then to lose.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Never heard of "fluff and pump" what's that mean?

Farting around in the gym. Using nothing but isolation machines. Maybe also doing a couple sets of curls. Not progressing. Basically, where you go to the gym, do a little something, but when someone asks you if you're actually stronger, the answer is "no," even though you want to think you are.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    type of food doesn't matter. Just get a lot of protein, in your case a minimum of 140 or so grams, and minimum fat of 58 grams. You can get more of either or fill the rest of your cals in with carbs if you wish.

For your workout, I would follow a time tested and proven workout program, don't try to invent your own.
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Just some comments:
    So i've been going to the gym for the last 2 years faithfully at least 4-6 days per week on average. At first my goal was to lose as much belly fat as possible so i can get abs and have nice definition. But these past few months i began to realize that i only weigh 146lbs, and am 5'9, and that i still don't have the results i want.
    Probably because you don't have the muscle to show. It's great you've lost the fat and realized you need to gain now. You are on the right path.
    I think what i've been getting wrong is my diet. I used to weigh 170lbs when i was in high school around 16yrs old, now im 20 yrs old and weigh 146lbs, so i have always had a weight gaining phobia because i hated being chubby. but it's time i put that behind me and try to gain some more weight.
    Right on - here's a good read for you to help get your mind right.

http://www.jcdfitness.com/2009/10/the-former-fat-boy-syndrome/
    At least get up to 155lbs but this time i want to add the right knid of weight, mostly if not all in muscle mass.
    You can't do it all in muscle - there will be some fat that comes along with the muscle gain. It is just a fact of life so don't spend time trying to avoid it. Here is a good write up, IMHO, on what you need to do.

http://www.muscleforlife.com/the-best-way-to-gain-muscle-not-fat/
    So now for you guys, can you go check out my diary and see if what i've been eating will set me in the right path for the weight gain? I've only been using this app for like 5 days, and i'm in love with it, the app recommends i get around 2800 calories! Mainly i just want feedback on the types of food i'm eating and any helpful tips, recipes, and strategies to improve it! Thanks all
    IMHO your protein was a little high on Fri and Sat. You don't need to eat that much protein and can get those calories from carbs or fats. I think most would agree that 1g / lb lean body mass is fine as a minimum and there is really not much need to eat over 1g / lb total body weight. In other words 150g protein is plenty for you but eating more won't do any harm.

Hope that helps.

Good luck!
  • Lofteren
    Lofteren Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    I drink this shake in the morning and after I train:

8oz milk
    1 cup dry oatmeal
    2 scoops protein powder (60g protein)
    3 eggs
    2 tbsp peanut butter
    1 banana

Toss it in a blender and suck it down. This will add about 2000-2500kcals to your day. Another good strategy is to drink a gallon of whole milk everyday on top of what you would normally eat. This is called the GOMAD (gallon of milk a day) diet.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Up your carbs to around 350 to 400 grams per day.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    Never thought of sweet potato and cinnamon that sounds pretty damn good! Should i be trying to eat like every 3 hours or so to keep the metabolism going? And how about training, should i do 3 days of heavier lifting then like 2 days of lightweight exercises and sprints?

I lift heavy 3 times a week (every MWF) Stronglifts workouts, with weighted pull ups at the end.

I also do about an hour of assistance workouts the other days of the week. (incline dumbell press, pull ups, push ups, and lunges). These days are easy. On heavy lift days, the squatting is always in the back of my mind until it's over.

Learn the big barbell lifts. That'll put the lean, sexy muscle on the fastest.

I eat only 2 meals a day and do daily IF(intermittent fast). Basically I skip breakfast everyday. It's not necessary, but it makes eating clean meals easier because you only have to plan and prepare 2 meals / day instead of three. There are some other benefits, but don't worry too much about meal frequency and timing if you're trying to add muscle.

Figure out that sweet spot where your body is putting on almost all muscle and no fat. Your daily calories will probably be around 500 over maintenance. It varies for everyone though, so it'll take some tweaking. Take pictures early on a lot, because the scale will lie.
  • FckUrExcuses
    Options
    Oh ok gotcha, but thankully that doesnt sound like me haha
  • FckUrExcuses
    Options
    Pretty solid advice, i like it! Thanks for the feedback
  • FckUrExcuses
    Options
    My god ... that sounds crazy! But i think i'm willing to give it a try, thanks for the recommendation