Judgy know it all's...

Options
This has been on my mind for sometime.

My husband lost around 60 lbs three years ago by starting to run and watch his diet better. He still can eat and still eats some junk here and there but he runs about 5 miles five times per week. Honestly, I loved him the same as when he was bigger. Maybe more but I'll get to that.

Meanwhile, I can name all the excuse monsters as to why I put on weight during that time. I got big and I was lazy. I was not/am not happy with how I look. Anyway, in January during a serious talk we were having he mentioned how he'd lost weight and I'd gotten big. It wasn't said in a mean way but having someone who is suppose to love you unconditionally telling you that you need to slim down hurts no matter how you say it. He doesn't criticize me but I know he's not as attracted to me as he once was which is an awful feeling.

Anyway, after that talk I came back here and started a diet bet. I am down almost 10 lbs but its coming off so slowly. I hate that. I have no patience. My husband will travel for a few days and eat junk and put on 8 lbs and in a few days he'll be down 10 lbs. Not the kind of thing I want to hear when I'm busting my butt and losing 1.5 in a week. I know I'm doing it the right way but its so frustrating. I feel like he's judging my slow weight loss because for him, it seems to fall off effortlessly.

Last month during my TOM I put on a few pounds, I tried explaining water weight to him and I could just tell he didn't buy it. Way to really pi$$ off a raging hormonal woman, let me tell you.

I'm not giving up and he really is supportive when it comes down to it. He's come with me to buy new running shoes and goes grocery shopping with me and those things really help. I just hate feeling judged by someone who's suppose to love me.

Replies

• TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    First off, most men can lose weight a lot faster then women, that's pretty proven. Also, you didn't put it on over night, don't expect it to come off over night, you might lose slower then him, but a loss is a loss. Be proud of how far you've gone. It's taken me 2.5 years to get to where I am and I have 18 lbs to go to hit where I wanna be. I had hit 117 lbs at one point but water weight, and me letting life creep in the way, got to me, so I put on a few pounds, I'll get it back off. It takes time but you can do this, if you want it as bad as you seem to want it, just remember, things worth having don't come easy and things that come easy aren't worth having.
  • 1961mike
    1961mike Posts: 3
    Options
    When one is focused on something you notice it more. Like if you buy a green car you start noticing the green cars more. If your husband is focusing on loosing weight, feels that it is a healthy choice, makes him more active, and makes him feel better, he would want the same for you. He would want you as happy and as healthy as possible. I have tried many times to convince people to stop smoking. I believe i to be very unhealthy. Perhaps I am being judgy; but, I want them to stop for good reasons. I ramble, but, your husband may be coming from a good place.

Please be patient with yourself. If you have a good food day, celebrate your success. Daily action is what gets you to where you want to go. Don't focus on the big goal so much, every day can be a celebration.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    There's nothing else to be said that Mike and Fitty haven't said, except that 1.5lbs a week is actually really good. You might encounter the odd bump here and there, such as the water weight that you've pointed out (just keep an eye on your sodium intake and drink plenty of water - which sounds counter productive when fighting against water retention, but never is). But 1.5lbs a week is absolutely perfect and, more importantly, very healthy and safe weight loss.

Keep it up, and before you know it you can start calling your husband Mr Pudgy.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    First off, there is no physical way that he can gain 8lbs of fat in a weekend, unless he's eating extremely high calorie foods for pretty much the entire weekend. So when he "gains 8lbs" it's really water weight, and once he goes back to his normal eating and exercise habits the water weight goes away and he is back to his normal. So don't let that make you feel like you're failing.

Second of all, 1.5 pounds a week is awesome! Maybe you need to have a serious sit down with him and tell him how you are trying (and succeeding btw) but you are not feeling like he's supporting you. There's nothing that can send you into a spiral faster than feeling like you're just going to be judged even if you're doing all the right things. Maybe he doesn't realize how much it's affecting you.

Keeping going!
  • jlhpottery
    Options
    It is SO frustrating that its so easy for men. Their metabolisms are faster than ours, so its easier for them. Definitely slow and steady wins the race. I consider any loss of weight a win, even if its only a tenth of a pound, better than putting it on. I have to say though my SO is very supportive, although he still cooks way too much food (he does all the cooking) it is my choice how much I eat. Maybe sit down and have a talk with him about what it would mean to you for him to be supportive and how his opinion of you means so much to you. Maybe he'll be more careful about what he says.

Good luck on your journey.
  • _Calypso_
    _Calypso_ Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    First of all... you're losing 1.5lbs a week...that is FANTASTIC!! Second of all.... men can drop weight faster than women. It sounds like he is very supportive and he does love you. I know it hurts to hear... but at least he feels he can open up to you. Would you rather he not saying anything and then you two lose the tight bond and become distant b/c you put on weight. Whether people admit it or not.... being physically attracted to your partner is very important!! I don't think he's asking you to be a size 0 super model...he just sayinig it might be in your best interest and the interest of your marriage to shed some pounds. Truth can hurt (my hubby told me my butt still needs work and stuff... ouch, but he's right).

So with that said use this as fuel to be better - show him how strong you are and how you want this for YOU first and foremost, but also for him. Since he eats well and works out.... you two can have a new hobby and time together. I love working out with my husband - we push each other!!

Congrats on your weightloss. Stay strong - stay focused!!
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    This has been on my mind for sometime.

My husband lost around 60 lbs three years ago by starting to run and watch his diet better. He still can eat and still eats some junk here and there but he runs about 5 miles five times per week. Honestly, I loved him the same as when he was bigger. Maybe more but I'll get to that.

Meanwhile, I can name all the excuse monsters as to why I put on weight during that time. I got big and I was lazy. I was not/am not happy with how I look. Anyway, in January during a serious talk we were having he mentioned how he'd lost weight and I'd gotten big. It wasn't said in a mean way but having someone who is suppose to love you unconditionally telling you that you need to slim down hurts no matter how you say it. He doesn't criticize me but I know he's not as attracted to me as he once was which is an awful feeling.

Anyway, after that talk I came back here and started a diet bet. I am down almost 10 lbs but its coming off so slowly. I hate that. I have no patience. My husband will travel for a few days and eat junk and put on 8 lbs and in a few days he'll be down 10 lbs. Not the kind of thing I want to hear when I'm busting my butt and losing 1.5 in a week. I know I'm doing it the right way but its so frustrating. I feel like he's judging my slow weight loss because for him, it seems to fall off effortlessly.

Last month during my TOM I put on a few pounds, I tried explaining water weight to him and I could just tell he didn't buy it. Way to really pi$$ off a raging hormonal woman, let me tell you.

I'm not giving up and he really is supportive when it comes down to it. He's come with me to buy new running shoes and goes grocery shopping with me and those things really help. I just hate feeling judged by someone who's suppose to love me.

You admit he supports you and his actions show he loves you (if he didn't, he wouldn't put up with such neurotic stuff). I see a lot of venting towards him for anger that you really have directed at yourself.
  • GRUNO
    GRUNO Posts: 98
    Options
    I think you are projecting your negative feelings about yourself onto your husband. He may have mentioned your weight but it doesn't sound like he did it in a negative or hurtful way. Sounds to me like you are really hard on yourself and beat yourself up for the weight gain and mistakenly believe that your husband feels the same.
  • jesiann2014
    jesiann2014 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't sound at all like he's judging you. You say he's supportive and that is a HUGE advantage! We women can be our own worst critics. Maybe you are judging yourself a little harshly. Stay the course, compliment your hubby on how well he has done and refuse the negative. Speak life! :)
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    1.5 a week is right where you want to be. I started losing weight because my wife kept telling me my gut fat is the worst kind of fat to carry and leads to many health problems down the road. I then got serious and really watched my food intake. I also started running which I enjoy now. I think you would do well to ease into running. Its by far the best and fastest way I have found to shed pounds. It is also possible he said something because he cares about you and we all know that any weight we lose is going to have health benefits. You could even end up running together, I wish I could get my wife to start running, not that she needs to but it would be fun.
  • Whiskybelly
    Whiskybelly Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    It really doesn't sound at all like he's judging you. You say he's supportive and that is a HUGE advantage! We women can be our own worst critics. Maybe you are judging yourself a little harshly. Stay the course, compliment your hubby on how well he has done and refuse the negative. Speak life! :)

This. We men like to think that every problem has a simple A-to-B solution. Like changing a lightbulb. While you're thinking of your weight loss on several different levels of thought, I can guarantee that his train of thought is "Ug. Wife need motivation. Me man. Me motivate. Ug. Work harder, woman. You must work harder. Ug.". We have the best intentions at heart, it's just unfortunate that we can't understand that not every problem needs fixing.
  • Bernadette60614
    Bernadette60614 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    May I suggest:

You're judging you by comparing yourself to him.

My husband would never do MyFitnesPal, he prefers just to cut out all flour, sugar, walk 10 miles a day, and lose weight.

I prefer MFP, the elliptical trainer and free weights.

There are lots of different paths to the same goal.

Why not take pounds off the table and just focus on behaviors and habits to help you take weight off and both of you to keep it off?
  • TwoPointZero
    TwoPointZero Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I don't know about the rest of it, but with respect to
    ... I'm busting my butt and losing 1.5 in a week. ...

well, that just a really a nice, healthy rate. And, with some consistency, those 1.5 pound increments start adding up really quick . . . :)

Good luck!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    You're doing fine.

he does love you.

But that doesn't mean he doesn't want you to lose some weight- it's going to improve your quality of life- libido and how you guys are able to do things.

These things get taken personally and often it's not personal- it's just the reality that when you change it can affect the other person. Be glad you guys seems to have a pretty open functional relationship AND you are losing weight at a great rate!! keep up the good work!!
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    I have a truly supportive SO, but I used to have one of what you have now. Except mine was extremely morbidly obese but felt compelled to tell me how I was doing it wrong because he didn't eat fast food one week and lost 10 pounds. so he knew all the answers after that point.

anyways...

maybe the next time you don't offer him explanations.

Maybe next time you just don't say anything.....and if he gets a judgey face you simply say

Do you want me to do this right? or do you want me to do this not at all? Because you aren't helping like this, in fact you are dragging me down.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Your husband comes of, to me at least, pretty supportive, but real. A good combo.

Most of the judgement seems to be stemming from you, your poor self image, that you're projecting on him.
  • Cameron_1969
    Cameron_1969 Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    It sounds to me like you aren't all that happy with yourself the way you are. Your S.O. knows this. Your S.O. wants you to be happy with who you are. He has successfully lost a lot of weight and feels a lot better about who he is. He would like to help you do the same.

He approached you in a supportive way in an attempt to help you get on track to a healthier you.

You are mad at him for it.

Makes sense.
  • laurie04427
    laurie04427 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I agree wtih this. My husband is fit. He's athletic. I can occasionally find that makes me self concious but I have to swallow that feeling and use his knowledge to my benefit.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I've noticed this on MFP as well. Some people, when they achieve success, think they've figured out some universal truth and if they could just get everyone to buy into their wisdom, everyone would achieve the same success on the same timetable.

Obvious but it's true: We're all different.

I usually get the "It's so easy for you men" comments. You have no idea how hard it's been for me.