Nursing Mommas

Options
ke2life
ke2life Posts: 10 Member
How do I make sure I have an adequate calorie count?

Right now - my goals are based on 1.5lbs lost a week, with 30 minutes of exercise/5 days a week.

It has me at 1580 calories. Does that seem too low?

Just want to make sure I'm getting enough calories so I can lose weight but maintain my milk supply.

Thanks in advance for any feedback!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    as long as you log your breast feeding in your diary (it ends up being a negative) and netting 1580 and logging exercise and netting close to 1500 you will be fine.

It is all about the net number...
  • ke2life
    Options

how does the "net" work? That part always confuses me.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options
    Super good topic to discuss with your OB/MW or Lactation Consultant (Or even your pediatrician).

You can lose weight nursing but I wouldn't shoot for any more than 1 pound per week. How old is your baby? How often are you nursing? Those all affect the outcome.
  • kshadows
    kshadows Posts: 1,315 Member
    Options

how does the "net" work? That part always confuses me.

There is an entry in the database (under food) for "Breastfeeding" and it will make a negative adjustment.

Net just means Food Calories - Exercise Calories = NET Calories
  • MamaJilldo
    MamaJilldo Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. Any sort of calorie deficit for me, I lose my breast milk first. The only way to keep a full supply I feel is to eat enough calories to maintain or gain weight. My baby is 7 months today and so I started dieting about a month ago so I can use my frozen milk supply as back-up and even in the first week week I make half of what I normally do and still netting 1500 cals. Frustrating
  • callmestephanie
    callmestephanie Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I've used the "food" breastfeeding and done rather well so far. 1500+breastfeeding sounds ok. Just make sure you drink plenty and monitor your supply and adjust accordingly.
  • ke2life
    Options
    So if I workout, I lose even more calories....

And if I add breastfeeding it subtracts calories...

Which means I need to eat even more??!?!? Grrrr...

I mean I know this is what I need to do, just so confusing...

I will call my lactation consultant tomorrow and see if I can get some more info.

So I should "NET" 1500 AFTER breastfeeding and working out?

My baby is 2 1/2 months by the way... and I will adjust my goals to lose 1lb a week.

Thanks!