What did you look like when you started maintaining?

Options
Hello all!

First of all, if you're maintaining, congratulations on reaching your goal and continuing to try and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I'm struggling to determine whether or not I should be eating at a deficit, or maintaining my weight. I have a lot of toning to do, but I'm definitely at a healthy weight statistically. Often, I feel like I want/need to lose more weight, but I know it's probably just poor body composition. So, I was wondering - what did you look like when you started maintaining? Pictures would be so helpful, my mind isn't great with measurement numbers.

xox

Replies

• acogg
    acogg Posts: 1,871 Member
    Options
    <<<<<<< I looked like this (I am on the right). I am 5'5" and weighed 125 at the time (last June). I still wasn't happy with my composition. I didn't want to lose any more weight, so now I am doing a weight lifting program.
  • Eve_e
    Eve_e Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks for the response, you look fantastic!
  • 2kettles
    2kettles Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I found these on Pinterest. They are encouraging. Check out these web sites. Mybodygallery.com. shows different people at your specified weight/height.

My favorite is not what you were asking about, but is motivational. Api.modelmydiet.com/eywomen. You will have fun playing with that one. My tablet typed the initial caps on these sites, you may want to use lower caps to search.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    To answer your more general question . . . I hit my goal weight in June and have stayed within 3 pounds of that since.

I looked flabby. My breasts looked hollow (they're large) and when I sat wrong, I felt like there was this pocket of stomach that kind of flopped over. No skin flaps, just kind of loose. I'm 55, 5'10" and had only lost around 40 pounds.

Since then all that's gone. Breasts filled out again. Lost another couple of inches on the waist, another couple on the hips. Skin all tight on my stomach. No change in weight.
  • drgmac
    drgmac Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Like this it's been 8 years. I'm lifting more now
  • charleigh78
    charleigh78 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    To answer your more general question . . . I hit my goal weight in June and have stayed within 3 pounds of that since.

I looked flabby. My breasts looked hollow (they're large) and when I sat wrong, I felt like there was this pocket of stomach that kind of flopped over. No skin flaps, just kind of loose. I'm 55, 5'10" and had only lost around 40 pounds.

Since then all that's gone. Breasts filled out again. Lost another couple of inches on the waist, another couple on the hips. Skin all tight on my stomach. No change in weight.

Great job maintaining. Did you get the results in your breasts and tummy by continuing to eat at a slight deficit or did you eat maintenance calories? Did you add any specific exercise routine?
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    My profile picture is when I switched to maintenance. When I took that pictures I was about 140 at 5'8", that was probably about 2 months ago. I am now 134 and can see more muscle definition and still working on toning.

I am now working on not really losing anymore weight, but building muscle. I have another picture in my profile where you can kind of tell my tummy is a little flatter. That was probably around 136lbs a few weeks ago.

I love to eat and cook, so I always have a lot of different foods in my diary. I love it when I see those earned exercise calories! That means I can eat more! :smile:
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can diet and diet and diet and diet and it's not going to do squat for your overall body composition. If you want to change your body composition you need to do resistance work.
  • eimaj5575
    eimaj5575 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Hello all!

First of all, if you're maintaining, congratulations on reaching your goal and continuing to try and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I'm struggling to determine whether or not I should be eating at a deficit, or maintaining my weight. I have a lot of toning to do, but I'm definitely at a healthy weight statistically. Often, I feel like I want/need to lose more weight, but I know it's probably just poor body composition. So, I was wondering - what did you look like when you started maintaining? Pictures would be so helpful, my mind isn't great with measurement numbers.

xox

When I hit my goal weight I looked good compared to what I was before BUT I was not tone and I was what you could call skinny fat. Little by all means but not tone. That is what I am working on now. Although I went back to a deficit and I am trying to tone at same time. The number you strive for doesnt always look the way you think it will but that also doesnt mean you need to lose anymore weight. Sometimes like in my case it just means you need to tone. Good luck to ya! :)
  • chelstakencharge
    chelstakencharge Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    well, as much as I would like to lose another 10 it has been a struggle so I am in maintenance now
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    You can diet and diet and diet and diet and it's not going to do squat for your overall body composition. If you want to change your body composition you need to do resistance work.

I was about to post nearly the same thing. I reached my weight goal (-40 lbs), and looked flabby. Tummy squishy, butt lumpy, etc. I switched to maintenance calories, and began a resistance program. I saw major improvements in appearance this way. After initial success I decided I wanted more, and began lifting (free weights). I'm steadily gaining weight now, but have lost inches overall.

Here's a before/after of my legs/glutes at nearly the same weight: http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a629/julieleanne/beforeafterbooty.jpg

I look different now, but the trend continues.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I have been maintaining since August. I cut back slightly on my cals for a little last semester when I wasn't as active (was full time in school so only had 3 shifts a week at work instead of 5), but still that was only like a 150 under maintenance.

If you want to just focus on toning then your best bet would be to eat around maintenance because if you eat too few it would be difficult to build muscle :)
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    fotoflexer_photo_zps1cba0efc.jpg

The first "after" pic is goal weight, the second exactly one year later, same weight.

Photos taken in bra/underwear tell a slightly different story though. My body is smaller/tighter after a year of weight maintenance and weight lifting. It's remarkable, actually.
  • Eve_e
    Eve_e Posts: 57
    Options
    Thanks for the responses!

If I'm 5'1" and 105 lbs., is it likely that I'm skinny fat and need to maintain and lift heavy? Or is it possible that I need to lose more weight?
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    You're already at the low end of healthy for your height. I would maintain where you are, start a strength program, and see where it takes you.

Diet for weight loss
    Training for appearance
  • Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    <<< I looked just like this.

Start resistance training. You'll love it!
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    At 5'1" and 105lbs, you need to recomp your body. So I would suggest starting strength training. In my profile, there's a side by side pic of my before and after... same weight, but looks totally different. I am not as lean as I was in that after pic now, so trying to get back to that leanness.
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Since I was almost overweight (not quite) when I started, I was actually a healthy weight when I reached my first goal (twenty pounds) and decided that I still wasn't happy with my body. Lost twenty more pounds and if I lose any more weight, I'll be venturing into underweight territory.

My next goal will be to tone up. I look pretty flabby.