Getting Back on track, already discouraged HELP!

Options
First, I'm just getting back into the swing of things. I used MFP before and lost about 10 lbs doing it. I gained it back but wasn't miserable. I just would like to get to a goal weight. Not much but enough to make me feel better. With my weight and build, I'm "overweight" according to some web sites. My DH and I joined a gym end of Feb, so I have been counting calories for about a month now and working out at least 5 days a week for 2 weeks. I have gained 4 pounds. I have been doing classes (BodyPump, BodyFlow and Zumba) and weights. I alternate between arms and legs. When I do weights I do about 25 minutes of cardio along with it. Now I sweat like a freaking race horse on steroids and I'm STARVING ALL THE TIME! I went this weekend and bought some high fiber and protein snacks to replace my Doritos ... though I may sneak them in with my lunch sometimes.

I just want to SEE a difference, ya know. I know, I know, it has only been two weeks, but I'm gaining weight! The exact OPPOSITE of my goal. I need some support and positive reinforcement. Please tell me I'm not the only one who is sooo hungry.

I'm a mother of 2 girls, 8 and 5. I want to be healthier for them and set a good example with my diet and exercise.

Replies

• Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Your increase in activity is probably making you hungry. You're probably mis-estimating how much you're eating, if you were at a true deficit, you'd be seeing a loss. Chances are you're eating more because you're working out now, and underestimating the intake while overestimating the caloric burn from the exercise.

Try a heart-rate monitor and measuring everything you eat with a food scale.
  • kaz321123
    kaz321123 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    "When I do weights I do about 25 minutes of cardio along with it. "

When you are working out (especially when you are lifting weights), you will see water retention (for your newly forming muscles) The scale will seem to show you 'gaining weight' but you will actually be toning up. Drink lots of water while doing weights!

A hypothetical person could look 'better' at 155 than 138 if they are very well toned. Scale is not the only thing that matters-also measure yourself (neck, waist etc).

You could try to drink more water-to help flush excess sodium out-so that the scale will give you the more 'accurate/preferred' impression.

Make sure you aren't exceeding your sodium macro each day also. I am no good example of this-I go over it all the time.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,088 Member
    Options
    Your increase in activity is probably making you hungry. You're probably mis-estimating how much you're eating, if you were at a true deficit, you'd be seeing a loss. Chances are you're eating more because you're working out now, and underestimating the intake while overestimating the caloric burn from the exercise.

Try a heart-rate monitor and measuring everything you eat with a food scale.

Exactly this!!!!
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    and I'm STARVING ALL THE TIME!
    Not needed IMHO. You need to either increase your food intake or maybe adjust macros and meal composition to keep you satisfied. You can change your body without being miserable.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who is sooo hungry.
    Your not the only one, as short term starvation and eventual burn out is a common occurance!

Calm down and stop trying so hard.

It is difficult to offer better suggestions without seeing your diary. Here is a link to a great general overview with lots of information.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • andilee820
    Options
    I'm not always choosing the MFP defaults for my meals, mostly because I haven't been eating out a lot so I have to find my own measurements for each meal. BUT it all seems to add up to what is on the label of my foods. I don't have a scale at my home, so I may have to start weighing in at work on certain days of the week. But by the time I get to the gym and weigh, I've been "picking" all day. On healthier foods than normal, but still eating all day.

I guess I need to measure my waist, neck, etc and go with that too. I know my shape is changing, just not sure if it is for the good or bad. My pants don't feel looser than normal, but they don't feel tighter either. So hopefully my weight is fat turning to muscle. But at what point will the muscle start burning off the fat? or will it all turn to muscle? I don't know how this works, I just know I want it to work.

AND I'm not opposed to someone seeing my diary. I'm just not sure how to show it.
  • andilee820
    Options
    I not only figured out how to put the ticker on my page, I figured out how to make my diary public. Do I want my diary public?

Anyway. Feeling accomplished. Maybe I can do this weight loss thing after all!
  • lrmall01
    lrmall01 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    So I just realized a few things.

You currently weigh 128 lbs and want to get to 115 lbs. Unless you are like 4ft tall, this is going to take a little while. Sure, if you have a BMI in the morbidly obese range then you can drop weight fast. This does not sound like your situation and you need to have some better goals and tracking metrics than standing on a scale and looking to lose weight. At your weight, water fluctuations will tend to obscure weight loss and you'll drive yourself mad if you think you will lose every time you step on the scale.

You stated:
    I don't know how this works, I just know I want it to work.
    This makes me wonder why you are doing what you are doing. Where did you get your plan? Why are you eating the number of calories you are eating? I'm not trying to beat you up - just pointing out you need to take a step back and decide if you are doing the proper things.

I did look at your diary and it seem OK except protein is a little low. Looks like you are using the default MFP settings, which are already on the low side, and not even getting that amount every day. More protein will help maintain lean body mass when you are restricting calories.

Hope this helps. Feel free to send me a PM if you want to work out what your proper nutrition numbers would be, etc. I'd be happy to help if you need it.
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I'm not always choosing the MFP defaults for my meals, mostly because I haven't been eating out a lot so I have to find my own measurements for each meal. BUT it all seems to add up to what is on the label of my foods. I don't have a scale at my home, so I may have to start weighing in at work on certain days of the week. But by the time I get to the gym and weigh, I've been "picking" all day. On healthier foods than normal, but still eating all day.

I guess I need to measure my waist, neck, etc and go with that too. I know my shape is changing, just not sure if it is for the good or bad. My pants don't feel looser than normal, but they don't feel tighter either. So hopefully my weight is fat turning to muscle. But at what point will the muscle start burning off the fat? or will it all turn to muscle? I don't know how this works, I just know I want it to work.

AND I'm not opposed to someone seeing my diary. I'm just not sure how to show it.

1.) You're not measuring/weighing your food, so my original analysis is probably right. Without accurately logging your food, you're going to find it difficult to drop weight.

2.) You cannot turn fat into muscle. Fat cells are fat cells. Muscle cells are muscle cells. You can grow or shrink the size of fat cells, but you cannot magically transform one kind of cell to another, even if you eat all the protein and work out all the time. Period. You CAN build muscle, and you can BURN fat, but you're not exchanging them pound for pound. Nope, and that's not a broad generalization to which you are the exception.
    Trust me.

Buy a food scale. Measure what you're eating. Get results.
  • andilee820
    Options
    If I use the MFP defaults, I always choose the higher calorie amount than what I'm eating. I know you aren't beat me up. I asked the questions and I really appreciate the input. I got the 1200 calories a day from MFP. I put in what I weigh and what I want to be and it put me on a 1200 calorie intake per day. I know my foods have been low proteins, but I JUST went this weekend and replaced a bunch of my snacks. The last few days I have been hitting pretty close to the goal (that MFP set for me) with 50% carb, 30% fat and 20% protein. Not sure if that is what I should be doing or not, but I was going by what MFP suggested.

HA. I'm not 4 foot but sometimes I feel like it. I'm about 5'1" (on my toes) and I realize that getting to 115 will be slow going but I've been there before and I KNOW I can do it again. I just hate the fact that I've gained weight.

I have gotten several different answers to this question, so I'm going to ask again here ... Am I suppose to be eating back the calories that I burn off when I work out? All of them? Some of them? None of them?

Thanks for all of your help.