Mom's sharing and motivation

Options
Im not new, but love to share info and stories with other Mom's about their journey and how they fit or would like to fit a healthy lifestyle into their family dynamic. It can be really hard some days and its nice to know that there are others out there and it is possible to be successful!

Replies

• steph0315
    steph0315 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have two toddlers, so I definitely get the whole "some days it's really hard" aspect. I am just now getting back into a workout routine, and my youngest is one-and-a-half (yes, it took me a lllloooonnnggg time to get with it). I either work out before they wake up or after the little one goes to bed. The older one often hangs out with me while I work out, and one of his favorite tasks is to get me water. I don't have time to work out, but I make time to work out - every day.
  • Hodgenska
    Hodgenska Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I'm usually awake longer than my husband and son are, so if I'm doing a work out I'll wait until either nap time (when husband is working) or wait until bedtime. I also have a toddler though, and he's pretty active and likes to go outside. We walk together down our dirt road and around through the woods, kick and throw balls, chase each other around. Playing counts towards fitness in my book, so I try to incorporate it into our day. Not to mention he enjoys it, too!
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    When my daughter was younger I would wait for her to fall asleep before I worked out or wake up early and get it done. Now that she's 7, I do still try to get to the gym at 5:15am so I'm home in time to wake her up and get her ready for school and get our stuff for the day.

Somedays, when I have a light workout or pressed for time I will run or walk on my lunch break - largely dependent on the weather as I have no shower access so I can't run when it's 90 degrees outside or I'll be stinky!

Once a week she has her own class at the Y so I work out while she's in Volleyball. As the weather gets nicer we will go for bike rides, walks, etc in our neighborhood or even take a drive, have a picnic, and ride bikes. She also loves to dance so sometimes, unfortunately for me as I'm horrendous, we have Dance parties or play Just dance on Wii - yes this is a real workout :) You can burn some calories doing this

She also likes to workout with me - she for some reason loves yoga which I hate but try to do once in a while (trying to love it). If I do a video and she's interested in working out we go through YouTube to pick one together that will be a challenge for her but will keep her interest. She cannot mimic the moves exactly but she gets moving and gets proud of herself.

Sometimes....my late night exercise is lifting a glass of wine to my lips :)
  • jlshea
    jlshea Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Full time custodial stepmom to a 10 year old who's in every activity under the sun. My husband travels often so its just us sometimes. For a long time me time was put on the back burner. I've had to be a little selfish and demand my time now if I want to see results. Putting myself last got me to where I was and thats just not how I want to live.
  • Beckboo0912
    Beckboo0912 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    It can be hard being a full custody mom of a 3 year old active boy. he gets sad when we go to the gym because he wants to workout with me and he can't. I've gotten him into a few activities at the gym and also his own so we both have things to do that are active, I also do tons of bike rides and walking when its nice out but it's been winter so it's been a little hard. I can't wait for warmer weather.
  • ohyeaohyea
    Options
    I am a married mother of 2. i also work full time and i have a 2 hour daily commute (both ways). I am so fortunate to have a gym across the street from my office. I run over at lunch and get in at least a 30-45 minute workout. I was just talking to a co-worker about the fact that now its just a habit for me. lunch time=gym time. i am not a big "sweater" so i can usually just shower off and freshen up a little and be back to the office in an hour. if i didnt have this gym so close I dont know what i would do.
  • mrsjasonpalermo
    Options
    I have four children 11, twins that are 8 and a 5 year old. I also work full-time. After I had my youngest, I dropped the weight fast and was down at my smallest 132 lbs from running frequently for 30 minutes after I put to them to bed. Then I got a different job which I typically have to do work for after the kids go to bed and moved to a location where I don't feels safe running close to the house. The weight started to come back. I am now slowly trying to loose the weight without the benefit of breastfeeding burning those extra calories!
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    thats awesome and sounds FUN!
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    kudos to you for going to the gym during the work day, I couldnt do that, because of the whole shower thing. I go hard when i work out so, im a sweater:) LOL
    I do it first thing before the kids are up too so then when Im done i get them off to school. It works. I work out at home so its a time saver for me.
  • 2BFitHealthy
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a first time mom of a 10 month old little boy. I love him to death but I can't tell if it's because I'm lazy/unmotivated to find time to workout. I have a few lbs to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight an almost 30 to go to reach my goal. I work full-time and go to school full-time. My schedule is pretty crazy but it still feels like an excuse. I try to take Wade (my lo) for a walk in the stroller when I can but I feel like I'm giving him more time away from me because he's in the stroller and I'm just pushing him. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me be close to my son but still get exercise in? Or better yet any excercises you've tried that invovle your children/babies?
  • Rainboots80
    Rainboots80 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I had my 4 kids in 5 1/2 years. My youngest is now 18 months. I have sciatica so it is hard for me to do too much exercise. I am doing some walking and hope to do more of it once the weather warms up. I have been eating better since January 31st and have lost 27 pounds since then.
  • Finnarwen
    Options
    Hi Everyone,

I'm a first time mom of a 10 month old little boy. I love him to death but I can't tell if it's because I'm lazy/unmotivated to find time to workout. I have a few lbs to get back to my pre-pregnancy weight an almost 30 to go to reach my goal. I work full-time and go to school full-time. My schedule is pretty crazy but it still feels like an excuse. I try to take Wade (my lo) for a walk in the stroller when I can but I feel like I'm giving him more time away from me because he's in the stroller and I'm just pushing him. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me be close to my son but still get exercise in? Or better yet any excercises you've tried that invovle your children/babies?

I also have a 10 month old boy. He is very active and starts walking now, so we fit a small walk in every day. But if he is tired he likes to be carried. Especially in the beginning he didn't want to sit in the stroller at all.
    So I carried him in a babysling. It is an awesome workout, though you have to start with small walks.

Also I try and do some exercises for my diastasis with him. I lie on my back and lift him sideways up. Like that he gets a feeling for balance and I get a workout.

Good luck with losing that weight!