What is the alternative to water

Options
Hey All

I know you're supposed to drink a couple of litres of water each day, but I just don't like water at all. Are the likes of PowerAde zero an actual alternative or are there any others?

Replies

• mschicagocubs
    mschicagocubs Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    Well water is in fruits and veggies...but you really should drink water.

have you tried adding no calorie mixers? or lemon?
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    seltzer water. PowerAde zero and its comparable products usually contain ridiculous amounts of sugar/fake sugar. Try infusing your water with cucumbers, limes, berries, herbs, etc.
  • mamahannick
    mamahannick Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Play around with adding flavorings to water--fruit, cucumber, mint, etc. That can really help liven up boring old water.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Hey All

I know you're supposed to drink a couple of litres of water each day, but I just don't like water at all. Are the likes of PowerAde zero an actual alternative or are there any others?

Powerade may be high sodium, and since one of the reasons to stay hydrated is to regulate blood sodium, I'd say no, that is not a good alternative.

But you can count most drinks that are alcohol free and not loaded with sodium as water if you logging for hydration. If it contains calories be sure to log those as part of your daily intake, but the water is still there.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    iced tea, coffee, milk, tea.

Right now I have two jugs of water in the fridge. One has a sliced up lemon in it. One has a sliced up orange in it. They taste better to me than straight water.
  • kellymac518
    kellymac518 Posts: 132 Member
    Options

Right now I have two jugs of water in the fridge. One has a sliced up lemon in it. One has a sliced up orange in it. They taste better to me than straight water.

this is wrong... iced tea, coffee, and tea all contain caffeine which dehydrates you, not hydrates you... you are actually supposed to drink MORE water after drinking these items rather than use them to substitute water.
  • Iknowsaur
    Iknowsaur Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    I like 0 calories vitamin water.
  • ashleyisgreat
    ashleyisgreat Posts: 586 Member
    Options

this is wrong... iced tea, coffee, and tea all contain caffeine which dehydrates you, not hydrates you... you are actually supposed to drink MORE water after drinking these items rather than use them to substitute water.

That's just a myth. There have been studies that have debunked this. Also, I read recently (sorry I can't remember where) that coffee and tea can act as a diuretic, but only in large quantities.

Here's a couple studies.

http://www.plosone.org/article/info:doi/10.1371/journal.pone.0084154
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15467100
  • Sarah4fitness
    Sarah4fitness Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it.
    Our bodies are what, 70+% water? When you exercise, do you not crave water? When you're thirsty, is that not what your body naturally wants you to put in it? Drink water. Just, like, drink it.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options

Wrong.
  • kjo9692
    kjo9692 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    There are things like C-Light and Livean that you can add to water and make a nice beverage, and it's all water with a bit of 0 calorie artificial juice powder (I don't know how you call them in English LOL).

It's tasty, but try just drinking it on its own.
  • Iknowsaur
    Options
    I just don't get it.
    Our bodies are what, 70+% water? When you exercise, do you not crave water? When you're thirsty, is that not what your body naturally wants you to put in it? Drink water. Just, like, drink it.

Yeah but it tastes icky >>
  • winyin
    winyin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use Mio when I want some flavor for my water.
  • LosingItForGood13
    LosingItForGood13 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I had this problem not liking the water too much so started adding fresh oranges, pineapples, strawberries sections to water, lemon juice, lime juice, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice just few tbsp to give the water flavor
  • Iknowsaur
    Options
    I had this problem not liking the water too much so started adding fresh oranges, pineapples, strawberries sections to water, lemon juice, lime juice, cranberry juice, grapefruit juice just few tbsp to give the water flavor

They actually sell special water bottles with infusers in the middle for stuff like this.
    I ordered one yesterday :D
  • Amanda_Gx6
    Amanda_Gx6 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I like 0 calories vitamin water.

ick! read your label. fake sugar ewww
  • joolywooly33
    joolywooly33 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    What about herbal teas as a wee change...I like some of the fruity ones and they are caffeine free!
  • Linda_9518
    Linda_9518 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I have a pitcher with an infuser tube in it and use it all the times. I put in chunks of pineapple and a cup of coconut water. (it may add a few calories but in a huge pitcher, not too-too much).

That's what I fill up my water bottle with before heading to the gym.

Mint and cucumbers are also awesome infused in water. Strawberries + Kiwi, watermelon and cut up green grapes....So many things you can do to make it yummy!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    For your consideration: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2014/01/28/everything-you-need-to-know-about-hydration/

But I love water, so I'm not much help... I know some people flavor it with lemon, lime, a splash of fruit juice (like orange or apple).
  • Dadgerben
    Dadgerben Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Water should not have a taste. If yours does you might want to try buying bottled water or getting a water filter system like Brita.