Are Oakley sunglasses worth the money?

Options
I tried on a pair of Oakley Pulse this weekend at the mall and they fit like a GLOVE! I even tried bouncing around as if I were jogging and doing other activities... and they were very comfortable. Then I looked at the price tag. $180!!

I've heard people make a big deal about Oakleys and that they are polarized, etc... however I've seen "polarized" sunglasses at WalMart and Target for less than $20. What gives? Is it just the brand name?

Just wanted to see if anyone who does a lot of activity outdoors might have some insight or recommendations.. especially with summer around the corner. Thanks!!

Replies

• brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Only you can decide if Oakley is worth the price when spending your money. Polarization is common. Differences in materials, warranty, etc account for some of the price difference ... plus the name on the frame.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I don't think so, but my dh does. Depends if that amount of money is a hardship to spend as well.
  • ayalowich
    ayalowich Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I tried on a pair of Oakley Pulse this weekend at the mall and they fit like a GLOVE! I even tried bouncing around as if I were jogging and doing other activities... and they were very comfortable. Then I looked at the price tag. $180!!

I've heard people make a big deal about Oakleys and that they are polarized, etc... however I've seen "polarized" sunglasses at WalMart and Target for less than $20. What gives? Is it just the brand name?

Just wanted to see if anyone who does a lot of activity outdoors might have some insight or recommendations.. especially with summer around the corner. Thanks!!

They look quite nice for walking around in, but for running? No way. Even if they didn't bounce the sweat would make seeing out of them very difficult not to mention I rarely run in the bright sun. If you do, then your answer might be different.
  • bcdudley1
    bcdudley1 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been wearing Oakley's for over 10 years. I can certainly tell a difference when I go to a lesser brand or even another premium brand like Ray-Ban. Everything appears distorted like the lenses are warped. Also, knowing that I paid so much for them, I tend to take better care of them and hang on to them longer. My current pair is 6 years old.
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I recently went back to Oakleys and I'm liking them. I'd recommend trying to find something equivalent to the style you like in last seasons models; check oakleyvault or something. I've seen their prices seem to drop quite a bit once the new ones come in.

That said, if I found sunglasses that fit like a glove then they would be worth $180 to me.
  • Eric_DeCastro
    Eric_DeCastro Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I have a pair of oakley M blades for when I go shooting and they are great. I also have a set of oakley prescription glasses and I love them.

but compared to a cheap pair from a swap meet, well they both block out the sun. it's just up to you.
  • Bun_Ya
    Bun_Ya Posts: 174
    Options
    Are they *worth* $180? No.

Do some people have more money than sense? Absolutely.
  • msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for the inputs! Sounds like in summary, they hold try to their brand/quality name...
    Guess I now have to decide if I want to make the investment. I'm fairly clumsy with my glasses, so I guess that's where another reservation comes in. However if I spent that much and had a hard case, I'd prob take better care :)
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    Most sunglasses are made from a few bucks ofr material in the same factory. Oakley, rayban, gucci, lenscrafters...

Get some decent polarized glasses that don't distort your vision. The ~$40 ones from Costco are just as good.

fwiw, oakley polarized tend to delaminate after a few years. They do not cover this in warranty.
  • Galatea_Stone
    Galatea_Stone Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Oakley are great for sports like running and cycling. I have a pair that I wear only for these activities. The rubberized nose piece and ear pieces keep them in place without sweat running. Also, the finish stands up to sunscreens. I've had the same pair for 3 years.

I otherwise wear whatever's $5 for driving and playing on the beach.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options
    I've never worn Oakleys...I have Fila Sport sunglasses for outdoor activities and they were clearance for $3 at Kohls...they are probably crap. I do know they fit well, are comfortable, block the sun, and have rubber ridges on the nose so they don't slide down on my face when I'm bicycling or hiking. Win win.

But here's the deal. It sounds like you LOVED those sunglasses and aren't likely to forget about them anytime soon. Assuming your bills are getting paid, and you have the extra cash...maybe this would be a good way to treat yourself! Whether as a fitness or weight loss "reward" or just a treat...I usually find a way to talk myself into something like that, when I really really want it.

And like another person mentioned...sometimes you will take better care of something knowing its price and "value". I am certainly that way with a couple of my nicer handbags. I am often hesitant to splurge on a non-essential item but sometimes you get more wear out of it than you expect. For example, I have some spendy Ugg boots that I have enjoyed wearing on every snowy/icy day for the past 3 years and when I got them I was having a minor panic attack because for me, $60 on shoes is a lot (and any amount over that is usually reserved for high quality shoes I'll wear every single day for work or exercise) and those were $200. But I'll have 'em for years!
  • matsprt1984
    matsprt1984 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Spy makes great sunglasses and they are a little less than Oakley's. In the sports line you will find glasses that fit as well as anything Oakley makes.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    There was a time when I spent $200 + for sunglasses. Then I had a pair fall off my face and into the ocean while surfing (even though I had a band on them). And the time a pair flipped off my head and went skipping down the road in a gust of wind. And the time a pair fell off and went over a cliff. And the pair I destroyed when riding my bike. And the numerous pair that I've shattered in various ways.

I now buy sunglasses at places like Ross and gas stations, and only on sale, and I buy 2 or 3 pair at a time.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't spend that much for sunglasses for physical activity. For driving, maybe... but I'm fussy about sunglasses that I'm going to wear for 12 hours behind the wheel.

For running though - I have a couple pairs designed for runners (and a fraction of the cost), and they've been terrific. I have photochromatic "Ryders" for the summer, and anti-fog "Sundogs" for cold weather
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I have this pair... The Lil Jon Signature Oil Drums

493ed55fa19c1.jpg

They make me feel like Lil Jon. Definitely worth the money to feel like Lil Jon.